Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2021, 04:41 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
DEF Failure

The last 3 times I have been out I have had 3 DEF failures, 1st..Doser Valve, 2nd...Head Sensor, 3rd..Doser Pump and Valve again, the Coach has been in the shop for 2 weeks and we still are at ground zero, it is leaking pressure and they can't figure it out, I was told the Cummins engineer would be involved tomorrow.
All of a sudden RVing is no longer fun, this has cost me money and vacation even though it his under warranty.
Arty1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2021, 04:46 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I know its frustrating. RV's are fun when they work. They are a PITA when there is a problem.

My father in law borrowed by travel trailer (2022 Grand Design) - its only a month old. He hit a gas pump and tore the rear wall out. No fiberglass damage, and looks to be a simple fix. Even so, the repair is going to take 3-4 weeks for the 4 hour job.

At least he is taking care of the process.

As for your situation, Spartan has finally got a handle on the def heads, but that doesn't appear to be what your dealing with. I would like to know more details once you get them. I have been a Freightliner owner since 2008, but am about to join the ranks of Spartan owners when my 22 LA arrives.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty1313 View Post
The last 3 times I have been out I have had 3 DEF failures, 1st..Doser Valve, 2nd...Head Sensor, 3rd..Doser Pump and Valve again, the Coach has been in the shop for 2 weeks and we still are at ground zero, it is leaking pressure and they can't figure it out, I was told the Cummins engineer would be involved tomorrow.
All of a sudden RVing is no longer fun, this has cost me money and vacation even though it his under warranty.
Sorry you are having such trouble. Hang in there!
Wonder if they are related. They must be.
DrPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:50 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
New procedures for DEF Sensor updates from Cummins out today.

DEF Sensor failure and supply chain constraints – UPDATE
Categories: Parts Information and Updates,Other Cummins News
Over the past few months, we have been working with OEM and industry partners, and the regulatory agencies to find a solution that addresses the widespread shortage of replacement parts related to the DEF sensor failure

We now have a temporary software calibration solution for customers who have experienced the DEF sensor failure that will allow customers to continue (or resume) operating their vehicle after the failure. This temporary calibration fix is only for customers who have experienced a DEF sensor failure and a replacement sensor is not available. We expect to begin introducing this temporary calibration across several model years starting tomorrow, 9/16/2021 and over the next few weeks in alignment with our OEMs and their supply levels of available replacement DEF sensors. Some OEMs are not implementing a TRP because they have told Cummins their replacement DEF sensors are available for customers.

The details are being finalized and once the calibration is ready, a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB210187) will be published referencing the approved repair procedure due to DEF Sensor failure and next steps once replacement parts become available. The Cummins TSB will be updated regularly as new service model names are included in the action, which we expect to occur over the span of six to eight weeks.

OEM-specific Temporary Repair Practice (TRP) instructions will be available on QSOL once the temporary calibration is released. TRP will account for the following:

Administration
Calibration upload
Troubleshooting
We appreciate your patience as we work to implement this calibration. Thank you for your partnership as we work to best serve our customers while we continue to navigate this industry-wide challenge.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:51 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Cummins has told the dealer to take the DEF system apart and what couldn’t be cleaned replace… now that really makes me feel good especially when I leave on a long grip.
Arty1313 is offline   Reply With Quote