Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2021, 06:31 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Def Gauge Reads Wrong and Engine Lights - what?

Driving down highway and all is fine, then Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) comes on. The one that looks like check engine, but does not have the word "engine". I find a Freightliner place only 20 miles away, right on my travel patch and called asking if they could check my code. They said sure, so I stop in and the immediately hook up to find code SPN 3363 which is Catalyst Tank Heater. They explained I should be okay for my trip from Texas to Florida, but it should be addressed before I travel to any cold climates (b/c the heater would be needed). So, I carry on. And, the next day when we start up, the MIL light is still there and I did my best to ignore it.

About a week later I start up the coach and the MIL light is gone. Great! So I go on my way, smiling. About 2 hours into drive, the Check Engine Light comes on. Oh no, what is this? I continue on my way, very concerned. Then the MIL light also comes on. So now I have both lights. Really worried now, expecting to see Stop Engine Light next. I started to look for Freightliner facility but none open nearby on Saturday. Ugh. Meanwhile, my DEF fill level was showing 2 of 4 green bars. I was planning to wait until 1 bar, then add DEF. All of the sudden the 2 green bars change to 1 flashing red bar. What? Oh no. So I pull over and add 2.5 gallons of DEF. Restart coach and I have 2 green bars. Good to see that (but the two engine lights are still on). I keep driving and the 2 green bars change to 1 red flashing again. Pull over again, add another 2.5 gallons of DEF. At this point I can visually see the tank is nearly full. Start the coach, it shows 3 green bars. Start driving, changes back to 1 red flashing bar again.

So, I'm on a big trip, it's the weekend, Im trying to make my way from SC to TN, then Texas. I'm just driving on hoping and praying I don't get stop engine or derate. I hope I can find a way to read my codes to know more about what is happening. So stressful.

Is there a way to get my own codes? Or do I need to buy a code reader device?

Anybody else have all this happen? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

First photo shows original MIL light about 1 week ago.
Second photos shows all the lights at same time (first Check Engine, followed by MIL about 30 minutes later, followed by flashing red bar for def level ... even though def level about 3/4 full.
Attached Images

Mathisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2021, 08:46 PM   #2

DEF gauge reads

Those are symptoms of a DEF sensor failure. Find a safe place to spend at least a few days and call the FL 800 number.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:45 PM   #3

I'm from the school that doesn't let my DEF get below 3/4 tank, and only add DEF from the pump. The theory is avoiding crystallization that may contribute to DEF head failure.

Of course that could be proven wrong at any time.

I hope you make it. Good luck and safe travels.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 11:55 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You can get the codes from your dash, using the light bar dial to turn it to diagnostics. Once you have the codes, call the FL 800 number. They'll tell you what the codes mean. My guess, a DEF head failure.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:06 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Todays Update

So this morning I started the engine and the engine lights were gone and def fill as 3 green bars. I was going to capture the fault codes but they were gone. So, I start driving and 4 hours of driving, no issues. Then the engine line comes on again, and the def fill level changes from 3 green bars to 1 flashing red. Same thing as yesterday. I pull over to try and get the codes, but in order to get diagnostic screen I have to turn engine off, and key to ACC. When I do that the code engine light goes off, so no codes to capture (again!). Drive another hour, all is fine, then again engine light and red def fill. Another 10 minutes and the engine light goes away by itself (without stopping) and def fill changes back to 3 green bars. Kept driving another 30 minutes and one more time, same thing happens. This time when I stopped I was quick to capture the code before it cleared itself.

The Code was SPN 1761 (followed by FMI 11 OC 8). When I looked that up I think it has to do with the def fluid level in tank ... perhaps the float. So, I am optimistic this isn't a def head issue, rather a tank fill read issue. I'm going to call FL in the morning to see if they can help me. Hoping for some good news so we can continue our travels soon.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:22 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Wife and I spent the last 4 days in Frederiksberg Tx wine country in our Newmar
another very nice experience!

2016 Newmar King Aire 4519
GTS09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 10:52 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathisw View Post
So this morning I started the engine and the engine lights were gone and def fill as 3 green bars. I was going to capture the fault codes but they were gone. So, I start driving and 4 hours of driving, no issues. Then the engine line comes on again, and the def fill level changes from 3 green bars to 1 flashing red. Same thing as yesterday. I pull over to try and get the codes, but in order to get diagnostic screen I have to turn engine off, and key to ACC. When I do that the code engine light goes off, so no codes to capture (again!). Drive another hour, all is fine, then again engine light and red def fill. Another 10 minutes and the engine light goes away by itself (without stopping) and def fill changes back to 3 green bars. Kept driving another 30 minutes and one more time, same thing happens. This time when I stopped I was quick to capture the code before it cleared itself.

The Code was SPN 1761 (followed by FMI 11 OC 8). When I looked that up I think it has to do with the def fluid level in tank ... perhaps the float. So, I am optimistic this isn't a def head issue, rather a tank fill read issue. I'm going to call FL in the morning to see if they can help me. Hoping for some good news so we can continue our travels soon.
Mathis,

Sorry to hear of your problems. Part of the job of the def head is sensing fluid level so you may have a head issue.

A few years ago I had a similar situation on a Spartan chassis when climbing from Laughlin to Flagstaff. Adding fluid to mine did not change the fluid level indication on the dash. It had just gone into derate as I was pulling over. On a whim I unplugged the def sensor from the top of the def tank for a minute and plugged back in. This action finally reset the head and gave proper indications on the dash gauge. It has not happened since. Might be worth a try.

Best of luck.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:56 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Mathis,

Sorry to hear of your problems. Part of the job of the def head is sensing fluid level so you may have a head issue.

A few years ago I had a similar situation on a Spartan chassis when climbing from Laughlin to Flagstaff. Adding fluid to mine did not change the fluid level indication on the dash. It had just gone into derate as I was pulling over. On a whim I unplugged the def sensor from the top of the def tank for a minute and plugged back in. This action finally reset the head and gave proper indications on the dash gauge. It has not happened since. Might be worth a try.

Best of luck.
Thanks for that suggestion. Could be helpful. We made it to TN and here a fee more nights then an appt at Freightliner in Knoxville to check it out. I’m not even sure the engine light will be on or not when I get there because it comes and goes. Hoping they can still pull codes from faults that WERE there. Will see. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Live this forum… the learning also continues. Just hope I can keep learning more than I forget :-/
Old 09-14-2021, 07:03 AM   #9

Does the engine have to be running to pull the codes?
Old 09-14-2021, 07:04 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mathis,
Take a picture of the top of your DEF Header showing the part number and post it. If Freightliner is out of DEF Headers I may have what you need.
Vettesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:54 PM   #11

Mathis

Just curious, did you unplug with the engine running and or just the key on?
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 06:02 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post

Mathis

Just curious, did you unplug with the engine running and or just the key on?
Ken,

Neither. I unplugged the def unit with the key off and out of the ignition.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:37 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No, engine must be off but key in ACC position to get to the Diagnostic screen. From that screen you can find codes. In my case the engine light kept going away before I could get code. I was finally fast enough to catch it though.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:42 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My DEF model number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettesniper View Post
Mathis,
Take a picture of the top of your DEF Header showing the part number and post it. If Freightliner is out of DEF Headers I may have what you need.
Here are photos of my DEF head, with what I assume is the model number.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ACDE0D0D-3717-4399-B7EB-0EBF3D44D433.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	591.6 KB
ID:	343156   Click image for larger version

Name:	CC64FF65-8030-4A8E-B9D5-FE99DEAE1F68.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	373.6 KB
ID:	343157  

Attached Images