Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2021, 07:06 PM   #1

SEE POST # 527 -DEF head derate emergency/temporary travel procedure

SEE POST # 527. With both Spartan and FL chassis experiencing derating and stop engine problems becoming either a tow or brake down this is what the trucking industry has come with. To assist diesel engine owners with an option when their coach gets a check engine light along with DEF codes there is a option that owners can do to allow them to either to continue driving or avoid a tow. This is option that I know some owners would like to know about and use. This procedure has been posted on irv2 Entegra forum and today I went under our 2018 London Aire on a Spartan K-3 chassis with the Cummins 605 to check the location of the speedometer disconnect, which is on all Cummins engines and shot two photos to show where this connection is located. It is located on the transmission on the DS (right) side. By disconnecting this speedometer sensor this will allow you to operate your coach to drive to location to repair DEF head or until the time the DEF heads are available with out being derated or shut down. With the speedometer sensor disconnected your coach will not have a speedometer. Some owners will not be interested in this emergency/temporary procedure, but I would, if the DEF head problem caused me to be broken down along the highway.
Newmar Man
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0819.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	331693   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0820.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	331694  

tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2021, 07:34 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
With both Spartan and FL chassis experiencing derating and stop engine problems becoming either a tow or brake down this is what the trucking industry has come with. To assist diesel engine owners with an option when their coach gets a check engine light along with DEF codes there is a option that owners can do to allow them to either to continue driving or avoid a tow. This is option that I know some owners would like to know about and use. This procedure has been posted on irv2 Entegra forum and today I went under our 2018 London Aire on a Spartan K-3 chassis with the Cummins 605 to check the location of the speedometer disconnect, which is on all Cummins engines and shot two photos to show where this connection is located. It is located on the transmission on the DS (right) side. By disconnecting this speedometer sensor this will allow you to operate your coach to drive to location to repair DEF head or until the time the DEF heads are available with out being derated or shut down. With the speedometer sensor disconnected your coach will not have a speedometer. Some owners will not be interested in this emergency/temporary procedure, but I would, if the DEF head problem caused me to be broken down along the highway.
Newmar Man
Thanks Tom, that's good to know for sure

DS drivers side should be the left side, passenger would be right side. So the DS is the drivers side correct?
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:00 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I’ve read about this elsewhere, and apparently it’s common knowledge among truckers. I Definitely would try this over experiencing another derate. I can live without a speedometer anyway, but anyone with a GPS that displays their road speed can use that instead. Mine does so having the in dash speedo off would be a non-issue to me.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:11 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Awesome information for sure! Thanks
(Oh, and I'm betting Tom is using Newmar terminology... DS is for Door Side.)
M&G Braking-Roadmaster Towbar
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:24 PM   #5

Question.

Will this disconnecting of the sensor work only before a derate happens, or will it “cure” a derated situation? I suspect it must be done as soon as a code is registered.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:32 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Question.

Will this disconnecting of the sensor work only before a derate happens, or will it “cure” a derated situation? I suspect it must be done as soon as a code is registered.
I think you’re right. So if you’re already at 25% derate, it wouldn’t reverse that, but would keep it from derating further.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:37 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here is a file I posted before with derate info....

Cummins DEF-Related Warnings.pdf
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:43 PM   #8

As this information gets out we should start hearing about questions like if the engine has already starting derating, if full performance will return. For us, we would pull the plug on the speedometer as soon as it was indicating the DEF codes and the check engine light is on. Won't wait to be at the point were derating and stop engine are already on. Would request if anyone using this speedometer disconnect to operate their coach because of DEF/check engine to share with the Newmar irv2 owners.
Newmar Man
Old 06-10-2021, 09:46 PM   #9

Sorry for using DS which I used for Driver Side our left side.
Newmar Man
Old 06-11-2021, 03:59 AM   #10

When I posted this in the Entegra forum, I had found it searching for a way to continue if the know codes were thrown. It seemed like it could be worth a try for those of you with newer vehicles who are having def head issues. Evidently it is something some of the truckers with Cummins engines are trying. I hope it works.
Dieselgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:31 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
This news is great.

This option provides a possible way to proceed on your travel to a repair shop (Cummins Shop or other) without the nagging fear that your coach will suddenly derate or stop on a busy interstate highway. We suffered the dreaded DEF fault codes in our 2018 Allegro Bus 40AP. Tiffin overnighted us the replacement unit and I was able to change it myself. Even though we now have a 2021 45`OPP, I still scan for fault codes constantly. Thoughts of being stuck on a interstate narrow shoulder with 85 mph traffic is worrisome. Thanks very much for sharing this info. This may be the best information post that we have ever received from IRV2. Stay Safe.
greeneville1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:52 AM   #12

Thumbs up

That's great information Tom, thanks for sharing.
sramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:53 AM   #13

Has anyone actually driven with the speed sensor disconnected? Usually the speed sensor feeds info to many things other than the speedometer. This is how the transmission knows when to shift among many other things going on. Maybe they are using more than one speed sensor?
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:44 PM   #14

Spartan Chassis
Thanks Tom! Someone raised the concern of the transmission being controlled by the speed sensor. Am I wrong in my thinking that the transmission shift-point is controlled by the RPMs not the speed? It's been too many years since I did engine/transmission work.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel