Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2021, 04:47 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Def head replacement

I had all three codes, temp, quality and quantity. I just replaced the DEF head assembly.
Has anyone done this without clearing the codes? Did the codes clear themselves after getting good readings? If you didn’t clear the codes, did it cause issues down the road?
Thanks in advance for the answers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2021, 04:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesmone View Post
I had all three codes, temp, quality and quantity. I just replaced the DEF head assembly.
Has anyone done this without clearing the codes? Did the codes clear themselves after getting good readings? If you didn’t clear the codes, did it cause issues down the road?
Thanks in advance for the answers.
Pretty sure you will need to clear the codes with a scanner once the def head has been replaced
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The DEF head replacement is covered by Spartan’s 5 year emissions warranty. I had mine replaced last week. It is my understanding that they cleared the codes upon completion. If you did the replacement yourself, perhaps you can have a local shop clear the codes and billed to Spartan.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:10 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
DEF head was pretty easy to replace. The check engine light and three codes reset themselves after reading the proper information. 600 miles later and all active codes gone.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:47 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
DEF head was pretty easy to replace. The check engine light and three codes reset themselves after reading the proper information. 600 miles later and all active codes gone.
Good info...was this a Spartan or Freightliner. Did you get reimbursed for the head.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:18 PM   #6

On the Entegra forum a number of owners with Spartan chassis have replaced the DEF head and after numerous cycling of key and short test drive the codes have been removed. They didn't have to use a scanner to remove the codes from warning lights.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:59 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Good info...was this a Spartan or Freightliner. Did you get reimbursed for the head.

Spartan. Fingers crossed that Spartan will reimburse me for the part.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:57 AM   #8

I don't know if this was mentioned, but do they ask for the defected part to be sent back to them?
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Replacing the DEF head looks complicated. Lots of hoses and wires. Is this really that easy? Any special tools required? Can this be done fairly quickly and on the side of the road after a shutdown? I am fairly mechanical but, just a quick look at the connections looks quite involved. Did you have to do a DPF Regeneration after the replacement?
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:28 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've looked at mine (Freightliner) and it looks like a pain, but I carry enough tools and have the ability to change it. Sometimes, they require dropping the tank. It would be a much easier job to do it at home with my 50 years of tools I've collected and the comfort of my side yard.

I spoke with a friend today who has the Powerglide chassis (Allegro Bus). On his, there is a $128.00 part that will supposedly repair his DEF head if necessary (a sensor within the head). He bought it months ago from Tiffin. He was lamenting that it would require removing a body panel to access the tank, as he can only see the filler neck on his. He would most likely need to drop the tank. Every brand and even models within each brand may be different.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:42 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This morning they replaced my DEF head. Took 6 weeks from when I reported the issue to Spartan, but better than the 10-12 they said it could be.

My 43’ Ventana has the tank on the passenger side in a bay of its own with quite a bit of room around it. Smaller tank than the DS and above, over a foot above it to the compartment ceiling.

Two tech tried for 15 min every direction and couldn’t get the clearance above the tank to remove the old head. So they had to drop the tank. On the Spartan there is a rubber pad surrounding the tank to keep it from shifting around. But that also was filling the gap quite tightly so it took the two of them one from below and one from above to get the empty tank out due to how it was wedged in there.

Took about 2 hours including draining the tank, removal, head innards swap**, replace tank, refill, clear the codes. The only tools needed were a Phillips driver, socket to remove the tank strap, some hose clamps and a clamp pliers.

**The whole head wasn’t swapped out just the sensor package which includes the wire harness out the top and the sensor tube to almost the bottom of the heater cage. They changed the intake a bit on this generation of head, hopefully it lasts longer.

Safe travels out there folks.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:22 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Good luck with a hopefully updated head.
Old 07-10-2021, 11:45 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is there a way to easily identify the updated shaw heads?
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 01:36 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Larry’s pictures in post 24 of this thread match what I received yesterday. Mine was only the insert shown in pic 4.

DEF Head Shortage -Joint Statment from Entegra & Spartan
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/def-head-shortage-joint-statement-from-entegra-and-spartan-543189.html

Supposed to be gen 7 but I couldn’t find any useful markings.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement