RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2016, 01:16 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
DEF header failure?

Has anyone else had a "DEF header" fail on their DP? Apparently, the DEF header is the thing that sits atop the DEF tank and meters the spray.

I got a malfunction icon on the dash display (looks like the "Check Engine" symbol without the word "Check" inside the outline. Fortunately, we are just 8 miles from a Freightliner service center in Southern Utah. They diagnosed the issue and have the parts coming Monday. Looks like the Freightliner warranty will cover it.

Had to change sites in the RV park this boring because we extended our stay to get the MH fixed and the site we were in was reserved. When I fired up the rig to move it, I also got a Check Engine light icon displayed. It is yellow, so I am not yet in the derated "limp mode." I hope it stays this way long enough to get to the service center on Tuesday.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this problem and may have some knowledge as to why this part would fail at just 7,500 miles.

TJ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 09:39 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Apparently not! So, once I get it fixed...hopefully, tomorrow...I will post what I learn.

TJ

Old 05-16-2016, 05:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Apparently not! So, once I get it fixed...hopefully, tomorrow...I will post what I learn.

TJ
Jim

You are the first. Glad all is good.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:42 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Would be very interested in the results.

ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:49 PM   #5

Will also be very very interested in your outcome. My malfunction light came on last Thursday and went off Friday with 8,700 miles but haven't been to a FL shop yet to see what they can confirm.

We had dash gremlins in a 2004 Cat C-7 engine FL never did find. All dash instruments would go completely dead for a day about twice a year. Only once could I get it to a shop while still dead but that didn't help, they still couldn't find the culprit.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:42 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for any information you may get Jim, as said your a first, just remain Tranquil.
Will post in QT's # 3 Problem Solver.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:14 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
If that is part of the emission system, the warranty is usually 50k, or 100k.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:23 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Good news...the problem is fixed, and under warranty. Better yet, I learned some important things which I will share.

First, the "DEF header" is apparently a cluster of sensors that resides inside the DEF tank. They monitor a number of things regarding the DEF fluid; quantity in the tank, fluid temperature, flow rate, etc. Obviously, the quantity sensor activates the dash and at-tank gauges.

In my case, the temperature sensor had failed. DEF is supposed to be heated to about 165 degrees before being injected into the exhaust system. There is a coil in the tank through which engine coolant circulates and acts as the heater. My DEF fluid was being heated to the proper temperature, but the sensor showed it as only being just under 100 degrees. The computer took offense and threw a fault code because it thought the DEF was not being heated to the proper temperature. Garbage in, garbage out! Ain't computers great?

In talking with the mechanic who did the work, he said it was only a matter of time before the engine went into "derate" (limp mode) if the DEF header had not been replaced. What a blessing to have found the problem so near to a place where the issue could be addressed. The Heavenly Father certainly had His hand in this.

That, however, was not the only thing I learned, however. How many folks know about the separate Freightliner and Cummins warranties and that the selling dealer should activate them upon delivery of the vehicle? My dealer certainly didn't. I had previously had Cummins update some software in the engine and they didn't even ask for any documentation, so it wasn't an issue. With a more serious issue, I suspect it could be.

When the Freightliner service center pulled up the warranty on my coach via the VIN, it came up as blank...unregistered. Very fortunately, the service writer at Warner Truck Center/Utah Freightliner in Hurricane, Utah, was an absolute gem. She...Jana Weaver...immediately did everything needed to get the warranty registered in my name, including calling the selling dealer to verify my purchase and purchase date. She prepared the paperwork for me to sign, I signed it, and she faxed it to Freightliner immediately.

My coverage was approved and, when I left the service center with my repaired motorhome, I had a copy of the warranty paperwork in my hand, along with a paid invoice for the warranty work. This lady will be getting something nice from us as soon as we get home!

So, we are now back on the road and that pesky malfunction symbol has not reappeared. Good riddance.

TJ
Old 05-18-2016, 09:48 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Glad to hear you got it resolved and under warranty makes it even better. Thanks for posting the outcome.
Good Luck
JP

Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote