Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2019, 10:00 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
When I had def needs, I used the box ONE time and said never again...
especially now days, there are def pumps at EVERY major truck stop @ < $250 per gallon and with the good sam pilot j card can pay at the pump if you have to...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2019, 09:18 PM   #16

I stopped daily driving my F250 so now I just buy name brand Blue DEF from Walmart in the jugs. The reason for this is that someone pointed out that DEF had a shelf life of around one year I think. With how much I tow I don't I use the full tank's worth in one year - better to run it closer to empty and fill up with fresh fluid from a high turnover place as needed...
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:44 AM   #17

When we need DEF we stop at truck stops and fill at the pump. In my experience the price is significantly cheaper and you aren't throwing away yet another single use plastic container.
SteveUpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:26 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
We take short trips or will when new one is ours. Since that is the case, I am not going to store a lot of DEF in tank, crystals can form and make it a mess. I am going to use the 2.5 or 1 gallon jugs why. Simply, I don't know how long the def in the truck stops has been sitting, what has fallen into the tank when it was filled, or if some other contamination has occurred. Yes, many of you use DEF at TS's, do you check it with strips or other methods.

I urge you to read all the different threads on this forum about DEF, you will be surprised at the various situations folks have had, and are having.

I will test the DEF before it goes in, and try to keep tank half full when traveling. Based on reports, about 1 gallon for every 1000-1500 miles or so. The tank I think is 13 gallons, that is 13,000 miles at 10% use. That is two years or more for us. I wish someone made a "preservative" for this stuff so you could extend it's life or kick start it if old. Maybe going to have to drain tank when know we won't use coach for several months (PIA). Just have not figured out exactly what our process is going to be.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:36 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm going to politely disagree with the above. I believe running the DEF tank half full is not a good idea. First, you're always worried about your tank level, even if it's just short trips. Second, DEF sloshing around a half empty tank is more likely to create crystals, if that's even an issue. Think of leaving fuel tanks half full and inviting condensation!

DEF has a shelf life, but I doubt any of us will have an issue with leaving the coach tank full, unless you park the coach for 2-3 years.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renipladlo View Post
Based on reports, about 1 gallon for every 1000-1500 miles or so. The tank I think is 13 gallons, that is 13,000 miles at 10% use.

Hmmm, not sure what reports you’ve been reading, these are the calc for the Cummins ISL9 DEF rates:

* Consumes at a 5% rate, or a 20:1 ratio
* At 7 MPG...
* 1 gallon of DEF will last 140 miles
* 15 gallons will last 2,100 miles
* 1 tank of DEF for ever 2 tanks of diesel

The DEF tank on the Dutch Star is 15 gallons, by the way. So you should DEFinitely recheck your reports and math.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Hmmm, not sure what reports you’ve been reading, these are the calc for the Cummins ISL9 DEF rates:

* Consumes at a 5% rate, or a 20:1 ratio
* At 7 MPG...
* 1 gallon of DEF will last 140 miles
* 15 gallons will last 2,100 miles
* 1 tank of DEF for ever 2 tanks of diesel

The DEF tank on the Dutch Star is 15 gallons, by the way. So you should DEFinitely recheck your reports and math.

I realize trucks are different from diesel pushers, but my Powerstroke burns through about 1 gallon per 1,000 miles in normal driving. My buddy's Cummins Burns through ~1 gallon every 400 miles if he's towing heavy.

15 gallons of DEF every other tank? Yikes!
Old 06-09-2019, 02:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by swavescatter View Post
I realize trucks are different from diesel pushers, but my Powerstroke burns through about 1 gallon per 1,000 miles in normal driving. My buddy's Cummins Burns through ~1 gallon every 400 miles if he's towing heavy.

15 gallons of DEF every other tank? Yikes!

Why? DEF is about $8/gal, and it goes 20 times further than Diesel.

So that’s $.40/gal...and the least of my worries.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite17 View Post
Its not the cost TJ, my question was more the quality of the DEF
purchased by the box or at a truck
stop. I thought last time I filled up with diesel the DEF choice was pumped through the same nozzle
as the Diesel, is that right?
There are quite a few folks that the same and tried to get warranties to pay for a new injector system
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:05 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
All - I have attached the FL SCR Chassis PDF for all to read. According to it, the DEF tank for Ventana is 10 Gallons, and for sake of discussion, figure 1000 miles range or half gone after 500 miles.

DSD, yes, keep it full is much better than my first idea. Don't want crystals for sure. Going to assume, pickup has space between bottom of tank and opening so if "stuff is in bottom" it does not get picked up.

So going to carry at least 2.5 gallon jug for those times we have to put some in. Personally I will not use the pump DEF, but that is just me. Like above, 0.40c/gal is nothing to the other expenses incurred.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2019-Newmar-Ventana.pdf (336.7 KB, 19 views)
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:26 PM   #25

Quote:
All - I have attached the FL SCR Chassis PDF for all to read. According to it, the DEF tank for Ventana is 10 Gallons, and for sake of discussion, figure 1000 miles range or half gone after 500 miles.

DSD, yes, keep it full is much better than my first idea. Don't want crystals for sure. Going to assume, pickup has space between bottom of tank and opening so if "stuff is in bottom" it does not get picked up.

So going to carry at least 2.5 gallon jug for those times we have to put some in. Personally I will not use the pump DEF, but that is just me. Like above, 0.40c/gal is nothing to the other expenses incurred.
Sir, in all due respect, you're a bit all over the map. First of all, the OP asked 2 questions:

How much DEF does a 19’ DS 4018 hold?
Is there an advantage buying yourself or buying at the pump?

So, providing Ventana specs are of no help, and add to the confusion where you first said a gallon of DEF would go 1,000.

And then, you said you'll buy DEF in a box, and keep your DEF tank at 1/2; then changed that "suggestion" right after Don gave you reason's that's not a good idea.

Not trying to stop ideas and "brainstorming", when appropriate, but it seems that you are posting random info that's sure to get folks confused.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Why? DEF is about $8/gal, and it goes 20 times further than Diesel.

So that’s $.40/gal...and the least of my worries.

Cost isn't my concern, just seems like a hassle.

Also, chewing people out for discussions on the periphery of the original topic isn't that helpful in my opinion. Lots of forums are dying due to lack of discussion...
Old 06-09-2019, 04:30 PM   #27

“Chewing out” is absolutely not my intention. The desire for "factual" info, focused on the main topic and not diluting the thread IS something that is a long time favorite.

With that, I guess even this banter isn't helpful...so I'll bow out. I think the OP's questions have been accurately addressed.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:00 AM   #28

Quote:

Monty, I know you are probably just trying to be helpful. Obviously you don't currently have a coach that uses DEF. Since you only have a DEF coach getting delivered maybe you should spend a year or so traveling in it before offering an opinion on the whole DEF issue.

DEF usage, as you will learn, isn't absolute. Much depends on the load you are pulling, the grades you are dragging that load up and down, the wind, and other factors.

Sit back and take note of what some of these other owner's have to say about their experience with DEF. It may make your transition into a DEF coach easier.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote