Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2021, 10:14 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They are heavy, just another item blocking air flow, they in the way blocking the underside, do not work, and throw rocks up on the towed vehicle. I put on individual flaps behind the tires.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2021, 01:42 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTNaples View Post
51k+ and mine still protects my Jeep. No dings or rock damage. It’s all about making sure it is the right height from the ground when aired up.
I agree, about 30K without even one ding on my Jeeps. Walk around the campgrounds and see that the majority of Class A have them still installed so can't be that big of a problem.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:51 PM   #17

If you ever need a replacement, there’s a pile of them up in Alaska. All brands. Now, why would someone drive all the way to Alaska just to leave their flap?
Old 10-12-2021, 04:38 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
After road damage to two of these gigantic flaps, I decided not to replace the last one. That was seven years and almost 100,000 miles ago and have yet to miss them. There are mud flaps behind each of the rear tires and I have never had any rock damage done to my towed Jeep. I would never consider leaving one of these on again.
BobSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 05:16 PM   #19

Straddled a stray tire with my ventana that I couldn't swerve around on the expressway. The coach cleared the tire but it took off the flap and then didn't fit under the jeep. Now I'm trapped waiting maybe 60 days for repairs. There's just too much junk on the road. I won't be replacing the flap.
RVific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:01 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
This is an interesting thread. Thank you for inquiring. We have had 2 incidents of road debris doing damage to our coach.
1) The serpentine belt was shredded by a piece of metal that somehow got wedged into the driver pulley for the serpentine belt. The Cummins repair technician was surprised to see a piece of metal wedge in that area. Attributed to road hazard damage. Coach was 9 months old. Now we carry an extra belt.
2) The radiator sprung a leak. The Cummins repair technicians attributed it to a rock that was thrown up into the area and punctured the radiator. We were towed 140 miles for this repair. No radiator available in the supply chain. Had the radiator repaired and reinstalled.

After reading this post, I believe the billboard is the issue. Capturing road debris and unfortunately, some of it is launched up creating serious issues.
txaggies1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I hang mine in my barn above my DSDP. Looks great!
Photos?
Road Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:52 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
My flap has been on both of my Newmars. I've logged over 50,000 miles and never had an issue with it. I do see a lot of MHs with the flap so low to the ground that it can kick up small rocks. However, if you have it at the right height nothing kicks up.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:37 PM   #23

Are the small mud flaps behind the tires enough to cover the legal requirement to have a rock guard?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Are the small mud flaps behind the tires enough to cover the legal requirement to have a rock guard?

Yes, legally they are all you need,
Old 10-15-2021, 08:28 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Interesting observation; I, too, destroyed my second (yes, second) vanity flap this summer via bottoming out on a nasty departure downslope from a parking lot transition.

I also have noticed the engine running noticeably cooler since leaving the mudflap alongside a stretch of Tennessee hwy. - and the toad seems to be picking up less crap off the road. I think I'll just leave it off for now......
2014 Jeep GC diesel - 2024 Renegade Verona 36VSB
mymyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:32 AM   #26

I re moved mine 2 years ago. Every time I went to level , the rear air would drop and often catch the flap between the frame and the ground.
I do notice the toad gets very dirty if driven while road is wet, but no increase in rock chips.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:40 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
I re moved mine 2 years ago. Every time I went to level , the rear air would drop and often catch the flap between the frame and the ground.
I do notice the toad gets very dirty if driven while road is wet, but no increase in rock chips.
You may have pointed out the biggest advantage of the full with flap.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:30 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
I think that these things are a relic of some trends in the 70s (first seen on a 1972 GMC) and no one has ever thought about their effective sense. Especially with diesel pushers, these things are more counterproductive than useful (unless you're a fan of doing free chrome-glittering-advertising for a manufacturer you just paid several years' salary to). In any case, anyone who drives even a single yard on a gravel road (e.g.: Moki Dugway UT) or rides in the snow would do well to remove them.
cj_calva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar