Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2021, 07:48 PM   #1

Destroyed My Newmar Billboard Rock Guard Today

Today heading south in Virginia on 95 I totally destroyed my Newmar Rock Guard, details are boring.
The question I have for everyone is there anyone that has eliminated this piece for now and how has it worked out.
I tow my car on a aluminum open car trailer with a large metal guard in front …so no worries about small rocks there.
Does this guard serve any other real purpose aside from bill boarding the Newmar name?
Interesting fact that I noticed on my NA after I removed it ( by the side of the road) the temperature of the engine coolant went down 2 degrees constantly under like conditions ( yes I’m a little OCD), also engine temp recovery after a heavy pull up a hill was quicker 😳.
So I’m trying to decide if I should replace it with another identical, almost $700 delivered to the door, or a different type ….???? Maybe just leave it void altogether.
Any info or opinion would be appreciated. 👍
timekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2021, 08:00 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I know many don't like them, but I do and maintain mine. I ruined one when I bottomed out the coach. I bought the replacement from a company that advertises on IRV2...Dura Flap. There's is much more sturdy, made from rubber and not plastic and the chrome NEWMAR logo is mounted with studs, not nuts ad bolts, a cleaner look.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:20 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I removed mine over 16,000 miles ago because it was kick up small rocks that chipped the front of my Jeep. No more chips since the billboard was removed.
kenk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:36 PM   #4

It's just bling. Leave it off. You have flaps behind your duallies to deflect rocks.
Took mine off 3 years ago and no more pebbles in my grill or on my windshield.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:09 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
I removed mine after it was severely bent. I had to straddle a large piece of tire tread. Luckily no other damage occurred as there are hoses and filters which could have been easily damaged had the tire remanent become trapped by the guard.

I believe the potential for underside damage is more likely with the guard than without should you have to straddle a large object in the road at highway speeds.
TheRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:17 PM   #6

We full-timed 8 yr. without it. Did an all-summer trip to Alaska and no dings on the hood of the towed Jeep. We met a group in Whitehorse actually removing them. They showed us the big stones landing on the base of their windshields. Once during a heavy rain in Salt Lake City we were observing motorhomes going in the opposite direction on the interstate. The ones with a flap caused the road water to spray up on their vehicle. The ones without the flap caused the road water to spray almost in a straight line at the tire area.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:59 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I removed mine 6 months in after delivery on my last coach. Just took delivery of a new Dutch Star and had them remove at PDI. I too pull a trailer and found them of no use.

Plus I think they're just pure UGLY....
Fitztrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 01:19 PM   #8

I hang mine in my barn above my DSDP. Looks great!
Old 09-28-2021, 06:20 PM   #9

51k+ and mine still protects my Jeep. No dings or rock damage. It’s all about making sure it is the right height from the ground when aired up.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 04:15 AM   #10

Removed ours two years ago. New Aire sits low and was often an issue when leveling. No way to raise it due to minimal height. Had many stone chips on the toad when it was installed. Getting fewer nicks on toad now too. Also being a bit OCD I later installed a Roadmaster Tow Defender just in case any rocks or debris did get thrown up.
BPeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 04:27 AM   #11

Billboard

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions…I sincerely appreciate your experience and advice.
I think I’m going to leave it off for now…I do fell it might of been to low but as stated above …not being able to straddle a piece of tire tread without worrying about it going high and damaging some mechanical components is not a soothing thought.
This time I was lucky after I went over ( centered and unavoidable) a large piece of tire tread, it caught the billboard in the center then I saw it move off to the drivers side. It could of been a lot worse.
I honestly think if the billboard wasn’t there it would of made it underneath and out the back of the trailer …Thanks again.
timekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:08 AM   #12

Timekeeper
I took mine off our VTDP 3433. I have mud flaps behind rear wheels and I added 2 wide mud flaps mounted high on front of the hitch support frame using plastic cable ties. I wanted to deflect some of the dirty air, water mist flow away from the path of the toad.

I see you are in NY and if you decide you want the OEM flap, mine is available for pick- up in the Corning -Elmira area just off I86.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:36 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I also have a 3343 New Aire and the rock shield was installed ridiculously low from the factory. At ride height it only cleared ground by less than 2" and drug the ground in many locations. This was due to a conflict with side radiator fan shroud shield and frame member on drivers side. Passenger side was not an issue. Chain links used from factory were non adjustable. Just a slap it on and get it out the door installation.
My solution was to have two 1/4" thick by 3" wide plate steel Z brackets with 1/2" through holes on each end fabricated. These used the existing 1/2" mounting bolts welded to frame from Newmar for one end.
The other end of Z bracket rises by approximately 4" and is extended to the rear by 4" which clears obstructions on drivers side. Rock shield now is in a more suitable location.
Rock shield hangs on Z bracket with Stainless Steel 1/2" x 3" eye bolts. Eye bolts are installed through other Z bracket 1/2" hole with SS nuts above and below. This provides adjustment for appropriate height from roadway and means of side to side leveling. Mine is adjusted at ride height to 4 1/2" above road.
Rock shield to eye bolt is by a 1/2" SS clevis. U shaped clevis goes through eye bolt and the clevis threaded pin through rock shield hanger holes. Use some Loctite blue on threads of pin to eliminate loosening.
Total cost was around $70- $80 and resolved the issue of road gators even laying flat on the road, hitting and damaging the rock shield on the 3343.
wsklywabt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:07 AM   #14

I removed ours the day we purchased our coach!!!

The problems with these vanity flaps are they can pick up items from the road and throw them into your toad which it would otherwise just pass over.

Another issue is it causes a high air pressure area in front of the vanity flap and any debris that's in the air then gets pushed up into the engine compartment. More dirt gets into your alternator decreasingits life. A small stone could get caught in your fan belt and destroy it leaving you stranded on the side of the road until you replace your fan belt. We carry a spare fan belt and fuel filters as a precaution as they are not usually available on the shelf.

To lower my risk I remove the mud flap. As we are fulltimers It's hanging on the wall of my cousin in-law's garage.
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar