Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2007, 04:35 AM   #1

Hi All,

I will be taking delivery of an 07 Essex 4502
at the factory in May.
Has anyone had the windshield coating called
diamond fusion applied?

Is there a vendor near Newmar and any comments on the cost and performance of this process?

Bruce
Polk City,FL

edited topic title for spelling
EasternAirLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2007, 04:43 AM   #2
Administrator Emeritus

Diamond Fusion Indiana will come to Newmar and do the treatment...Their office is in nearby Mishawaka.
I inquired about it and just didn't have time to have it done,but will have it done in June.

Seems to me it's around $1800

Call 1-888-206-0447
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 06:47 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Say E.A.L. how about some KARMA to go under your EAL, noting the fact your a Newmar owner.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:08 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum Bruce. Though I know little about the windshield treatment, it is interesting since so many coaches are now fitted with one piece windshields. I guess what we are missing is actual field experience where this paid off or was better for it.

Peter
Old 03-09-2007, 10:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by "007":
Say E.A.L. how about some KARMA to go under your EAL, noting the fact your a Newmar owner.
I will take the KARMA,

Thanks

Bruce
EasternAirLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:32 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ya got it Bruce just below where I post that is your signature block where you can input your coach info and anything else you want.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:40 PM   #7
cwg

Bruce,

While I was at the factory in Dec I saw that several people were having Diamon Fusion applied to their new coaches. I elected to have it done after talking to the applicators and Newmar techs. I especially liked the four year warranty in the event of a cracked or busted windshield. It is also touted to cut down on glare which is considerable on the new windshield with such a vast area of coverage.

Other than a few raindrops on the way down to Florida, I have not formed a real objective opinion on its worth vs expenditure as it was around $1300 from what I remember. High line service will let the company that puts in on come to the service building and apply it. (They are from Elkhart).

The literature states that all military Humvees and other glass windshielded vehicles have this process applied as it helps to prevent glass pitting from sand, etc. It is also a chemical vapor process which needs to be put on at the time a windshield is relatively new. They do not apply it to slightly damaged windshields.

There is also a bottle of chemical renewer given to be reapplied every six months or so. They claim that this process is vastly superior and totally different from things like Rain X and PPG applications as it is a chemical bonding and not merely a silicone or other less effective coating.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:54 PM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Diamond Fusion Indiana will come to Newmar and do the treatment...Their office is in nearby Mishawaka.
I inquired about it and just didn't have time to have it done,but will have it done in June.

Call 1-888-206-0447

Here is the contact info I was given in Nappanee....
Old 03-10-2007, 03:04 AM   #9

Quote:
While I was at the factory in Dec I saw that several people were having Diamon Fusion applied to their new coaches. I elected to have it done after talking to the applicators and Newmar techs. I especially liked the four year warranty in the event of a cracked or busted windshield. It is also touted to cut down on glare which is considerable on the new windshield with such a vast area of coverage.

Other than a few raindrops on the way down to Florida, I have not formed a real objective opinion on its worth vs expenditure as it was around $1300 from what I remember. High line service will let the company that puts in on come to the service building and apply it. (They are from Elkhart).

The literature states that all military Humvees and other glass windshielded vehicles have this process applied as it helps to prevent glass pitting from sand, etc. It is also a chemical vapor process which needs to be put on at the time a windshield is relatively new. They do not apply it to slightly damaged windshields.

There is also a bottle of chemical renewer given to be reapplied every six months or so. They claim that this process is vastly superior and totally different from things like Rain X and PPG applications as it is a chemical bonding and not merely a silicone or other less effective coating.
Great review Chuck, and I appreciate your comment on not knowing yet. I'm sure it will take time to evaluate it against cost, or is it worth it. You mentioned reducing glare, did you notice this on the trip south?

Peter
Old 03-10-2007, 05:24 AM   #10

I've got the diamond fusion on my rig. When I was coming through Oregon, in the fall, my wiper motor gave out, and it was constantly raining. There were no wiper motors in the area, and I had to head south for another appointment. The only thing that saved me was the diamond fusion -- basically, water just slid off. It wasn't that much fun, but it would have been considerably worse without it.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:32 AM   #11

EAL niner heavy - As you know, Diamon Fusion will apply it directly at Newmar. Seems like I'll beat your application by a couple of weeks. I can give you a full report. Don Montgomery of DF (888-206-0447) mentioned you might be having it applied to your rig.
Aside from the increased chip resistance (and the warranty if it does chip) DF also offers
a) a "Rain-X like functionality" on steroids (a nice feature)
b) improved light transmission by glare reduction (both day and night)
c) smoother windshield surface which our wiper blade life will appreciate
d) resistance to that nasty "sandblasting" we see on our windshields after a few years.
e) of course, the chip warranty meaning no claims against your coach insurance.

Seems like the right choice. Time and experience will tell.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:45 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by rebelsbeach:

Call 1-888-206-0447

HERE is the Indiana Diamond Fusion rep.....this was given to me by Newmar.....
Old 03-15-2007, 01:27 PM   #13

Bob - Not sure of your point. Don Montgomery IS Mr. Diamon Fusion in Indianna at the same number.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:49 PM   #14
cwg

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lug_Nut:
[ You mentioned reducing glare, did you notice this on the trip south?

Sorry to get back on the forum so slowly, Peter;I have been tied up with the cooling fan upgrade for the past few days.

As the windshield is so large and light enters through it so readily, I cannot tell whether the Diamon Fusion claim is valid. I do not understand how the chemical bonding would reduce glare on the windshield unless it has less of a "halo effect" after refracting through a clearer glass. Scored glass might reflect back more light.

Don Montgomery was the individual who came with the Diamon Fusion dealer and personally put it on my coach. He represents he has the Indiana franchise and works with various dealers. He definitely knew much more about the product than the other gentleman who was from Elkhart.

Just for your edification, Diamon Fusion has no "D" in it. Am I beginning to sound like Bob G when he lectures about Howard RV vs. Howard's RV?
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote