Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #1

Diamond kote on a new dutchstar?

S it worth it to pay the money for diamond kote on a new dutchstar or should I save my money and just wax it often?
go oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I guess it depends how long you're going to keep the coach. If you'll be the first owner, trading it in in a few years, maybe the shield is a good thing. It will protect the front from stone chips, and it'll look good when you trade it in.

If you're going to keep the coach for many years, then I think it's a trade off. After enough years, the shield will be worn out and will need to be removed. Good luck with that without damaging the front end, probably having to repair and repaint the front, which negates the entire purpose of using the shield in the first place.

Anyway. I think you get my drift. My experience was having to remove a 13 year old shield, which practically destroyed the finish on the front of our coach. So I elected to not install a new shield, and I'll have to repair/repaint damage as necessary.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #3

We have Diamond Shield on our 2000 Dutch Star pusher. It's been on for 5 yrs. now, put it on after a custom paint job. I watch it closely because I've seen what it has done to other coach's. However I saw it being removed recently by some guys who obviously knew what they were doing, because when they were done you'd never have known it had been their. Myself if I had it to do over again I'd probably go with a bra, not that the Diamond shield hasn't worked. Went to Alaska and nary a ding. It also makes it easy to remove bugs because you can use a pretty stiff brush on it with no damage.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi go oil,
I'm also in the bra camp. Bought my coach new and it had DS on the front. Followed the instructions to keep it clean and it still went bad. I had to remove the DS and then have the front repainted. Put a bra on the front and have been happy ever since.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
I guess it depends how long you're going to keep the coach. If you'll be the first owner, trading it in in a few years, maybe the shield is a good thing. It will protect the front from stone chips, and it'll look good when you trade it in.

If you're going to keep the coach for many years, then I think it's a trade off. After enough years, the shield will be worn out and will need to be removed. Good luck with that without damaging the front end, probably having to repair and repaint the front, which negates the entire purpose of using the shield in the first place.

Anyway. I think you get my drift. My experience was having to remove a 13 year old shield, which practically destroyed the finish on the front of our coach. So I elected to not install a new shield, and I'll have to repair/repaint damage as necessary.

Jim
go oil - I think he's got it right. If you do get DS know that it's NOT maintenance free. Like other clear bras it requires you to moisturize it with products made for the purpose. Also daily cleaning to get bugs off will greatly extend the life. Living in the south I know firsthand that lovebugs will etch the DS if you don't take them off regularly. Rocks can "chip" the DS, if that happens you have to cover the "chip" with clear nail polish. Another thing that I've seen (on my coach) is mold growing under the DS. Not sure how/why this happens but if you search you'll see there are others that have the same issue.
If I was going to buy new I'm not sure I would spend the money on DS and look at other things (bras, shields, etc.)

Charlie
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Get the DS! Use Rejex to protect it, never a problem removing residue and especially if traveling south during Love Bug season you'll be glad you have DS and it was treated with Rejex. Just my opinion but well thought out!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #7

I had a 2008 Allegro Bus that I had Diamond Shield installed in the factory. It didn't stop stone chips in the paint, it just made them impossible to repair. The junk is too soft to polish and dulled when you try to rub out stains and hard bugs imbedded in it. I peeled mine, and got some front sections repainted where the chipped paint came off with the DS. When we had the 2013 Bus custom built, I ordered it WITHOUT DS. Yep, it came through with the junk installed. Tiffin peeled it and repainted the areas where the paint came too (without cost). I used a bra on the '08 after it was removed, and have a bra for the '13. We do a LOT of travel on dirt and gravel and have no problems with the bras. I can fix paint chips, I just can't fix them under Diamond Shield.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #8

I've had diamond shield on two coaches including the one we have now. bad stuff. It got dull. I now have their nano shield product which is Newmar's std product and love it. It's stayed nice and shiny. I put on a heavy coat of 303 prior to each trip and don't rub it off until I get to my destination or home, whichever works.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Amen to that answer. Been there done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
I guess it depends how long you're going to keep
the coach. If you'll be the first owner, trading it in in a few years, maybe the shield is a good thing. It will protect the front from stone chips, and it'll look good when you trade it in.

Jim
benge1 is offline   Reply With Quote