Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #15
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
Hey BobGed: Link to dimond-shield didn't seem to work. What am I doing wrong?? Steve
You didn't do anything wrong, Diamond-Shield changed their web site.

I fixed his link, but you need to click on Product Care once you get to the website.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
Hey BobGed: Link to dimond-shield didn't seem to work. What am I doing wrong?? Steve
Hmm, works fine for me. Try doing a Google search on diamond shield paint protection
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmitchell View Post
My Diamond Shield film started looking bad after 3 years. I put up with it looking crappy for another 2 years, until I got tired of looking at it. I pulled it off about 6 months ago. The front paint looks like brand new. I should have yanked it off a few years sooner.
Tom
Tom,

The only reason I joined this website forum is because I was Googling for information on removing the Diamond Shield (DS). I read your post, told my husband, and immediately went out and found the most inconspicuous edge on which to give it a try.

Voila! It worked on a small corner, but with nothing more than slow firm pressure at a 30-45 degree angle. We put it back until we could get to it the next day.

The next day we started with the door and handles, and then worked up the rhythm to do the front. Only a few small pea-sized areas of clear coat came off, but nothing noticeable and always at the edge near a curve.

The entire time we were working on it, we quoted you aloud "I should have yanked it off a few years sooner!" It took about 2 1/2 hours.

There was dirt build up at the edges of the DS and X-acto scratches from the installation, which both came off with car polish. There was no glue residue at all underneath our DS, just a beautiful new paint finish! Granted, it was a warm sunny Florida day, which may be why we did not need the hair dryer/heat gun.

I cannot guarantee everyone else's removal will be as easy as ours, but we had the best results we could have ever dreamed possible. We basically have a NEW fresh nose!

We were at our breaking point and were ready to have the front repainted because we were told by a paintshop that the mold was under the DS and on the paint. It was not until we began to remove the DS that we discovered the mold was ON the Diamond Shield, not under it!

I had already contacted Newmar and DS, with the same responses as FloridaGuy. I firmly believe that DS is a substandard product. If it were a quality product that had this natural occurring mold issue, you think they would have a cleaner to remove it or better design their product to withstand the mold.

Your post saved us thousands! Thank you so much.

Bill and Diana
Guitar Buyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Guitar Buyer to the Newmar forum & irv2.
Thanks for joining in and enjoy your stay.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:19 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
BE ready for some hard work and some words that you might not think that you would ever say, This IS NOT an easy task. If you live in or been through an area where you have small stones or pebbles hitting the front of your coach, you could have a small chip in your paint and not realize it. I know cause it happened to me. While my wife and I were slowly removing this big piece of DS on the front nose toward the bottom the paint began to peel away with it. Don't stop now, you already did the damage. Can you say paint job. Cause that is what you'll need. I paint cars for a living so I ended up painting the front nose of the coach. This isn't like the first time I have taken this stuff off. So I knew what to expect. You find it on some of the cars that people put on thinking they help the paint stay nice. Only they don't call it diamond shield.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Finally, tackled and finished peeling the Diamond Shield off the front of my 2005 DutchStar DP. It took me about 2 weeks working on it only every other day because my fingers became really sore, numb and dried out from the pulling and the adhesive. I only had a couple of spots that the paint actually peeled. Not bad but will send it to a paint shop for some professional touch up. But compared to what it looked like with the DS on there and what it looks like now is unbelievable. The DS was almost black. Now I have a new looking front end. I know the DS protects from rocks, etc but I like the new look even if I have to have it touched up down the road. Next time I will make sure that stuff is NOT installed otherwise the deal is off.
Thanks for the extensive thread covering this subject.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #21

I think I mentioned this on another thread, but a DS rep. said to wash the front with a mild bleach every 3 months to get rid of the mold. Also he suggested for us to us 303 every so often. My 04 had it and DS replaced it. They ended up repainting the front as the paint came off with the DS.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:19 AM   #22

UPDATE

Just checking the last few posts since I posted my experience with DS.

I don't believe in scaring people, just express my experience and leave the scare tactics to those who have a vested interest in an industry or something to sell.

As far as the bleach is concerned, I dared not to put bleach directly on our Newmar since we live in FL and any residue would have baked in the sun. However, I did take a piece that came off nicely around the door handle and SOAKED it in straight bleach. Nothing happened, the mold and yellow haze on the plastic was still there. It was weird, almost like it was "IN" the plastic.

I still thank TOM for his wonderful post, whoever he is. I am not a post fein, but the success we had was SO remarkable that we still say to ourselves, "we should have done this years ago" everytime we look at our nose.

I also admit, this is the only website I have joined that I have not closed my account. Usually I create an account, buy what I need to and close it down (privacy oriented). But this website really does have nice tidbits of information and I want to make sure if we run across any other issue that I have a resource to turn to instead of Google.
Guitar Buyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for your post Bill & Diana glad we are on your resource list.
Do join more often we like to hear from all our Newmar owners.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm not trying to scare anyone. All I can say is I am glad I found this forum because I looked at my DS getting worse and worse every year and the information on this forum is what gave me the confidence to go for it. Yes, I lost a couple of paint chips only on the generator pull out but that is easily fixed. The rest of the front is like new. Maybe we'll get a bra for the front for traveling only, maybe. Right now I am enjoying the clean bright look. If you are one of the lucky ones who is able to keep the DS looking good then enjoy.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote