Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2020, 03:46 PM   #1

Did you know? Wiper squirter nozzles adjustable

Ever since I got my coach while washing it I would flip the wipers out and noticed the drivers arm would rock on the shaft, I tried to tighten it but the nut and washer were already bottomed out.

So I am home this week and finally decided to tackle this little project.

I removed the wiper arm, upon inspection apparently it had come lose at one time before I bought it, likely on the ride from Nappanee to Florida dealer and they just tightened it.

The arm was so far down the taper the black flip cover would not close due to stud protrusion.

I could see the taper had stripped out.

So the search began, I found this great place to purchase new arms and blades, these guys had them in stock and were super nice to deal with so check them out for replacement Newmar Parts. https://integrityrvparts.com/

I bought 2 new arms and new wipers because they were not positioned correctly at park position and looked out of place.

New arms have no splines just a taper, the splines are on the shafts and are formed in to the arms when you torque them.

Once the splines are cut in to the taper you can only make coarse adjustments to position.

The new arms are on, nice and level looking good, torqued to 65 lb.ft. twice per engineering.

The cool thing I discovered in the process is the squitter's are able to be aimed as they are ball and socket nozzles.

I used a 0.030 thousands drill bit smooth end to insert in the nozzles and aimed all 6 of them on each arm for best window coverage which was an issue I had before knowing this was possible.

I also learned if you tilt them too far off center it blocks the inner orifice.

Any question please ask.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6532.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	312840  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2020, 03:58 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie 4369 View Post

The new arms are on, nice and level looking good, torqued to 65 lb.ft. twice per engineering.

The cool thing I discovered in the process is the squitter's are able to be aimed as they are ball and socket nozzles.
Hi Tad,

Interesting that the sprayers are adjustable.

You might consider putting a re-torque on a periodic maintenance schedule. Many have had their wiper arms come loose at very inopportune times.

Take care,
Stu
Old 12-29-2020, 04:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Hi Tad,

Interesting that the sprayers are adjustable.

You might consider putting a re-torque on a periodic maintenance schedule. Many have had their wiper arms come loose at very inopportune times.

Take care,
Stu
Right, Who would have thought?

Will do on the retorque, thanks.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:10 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I didn’t know that. But I did know that Trico wipers are a good replacement and about $30 cheaper on Amazon than anywhere else.

I also knew that when the cast alum arm end strips out on the grade 8.8 splined shaft, you can get by in a pinch with a slightly over sized (1/2”) lock washer and a firm snugging down with a 3/4” socket (probably 19mm) if you dont have a torque wrench handy. The lock washer digs in and gains some purchase in the soft aluminum.

Also after a rather exhaustive search for a new arm, I ordered from Newmar at around $140. I had probably found the right one at a lower price by then but wanted to get it right the first time.

Finally I just measured the threaded part of the shaft, looked up the torque spec for M12 in 8.8, and sho-nuff - 65lbs. So Ive had a bit of an education in wipers, starting when my drivers side decided to wipe the back of my driver’s side mirror rather than the windshield in a nice little storm. Fun times.

But I did not know the knozzles were adjustable
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 05:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I didn’t know that. But I did know that Trico wipers are a good replacement and about $30 cheaper on Amazon than anywhere else.

I also knew that when the cast alum arm end strips out on the grade 8.8 splined shaft, you can get by in a pinch with a slightly over sized (1/2”) lock washer and a firm snugging down with a 3/4” socket (probably 19mm) if you dont have a torque wrench handy. The lock washer digs in and gains some purchase in the soft aluminum.

Also after a rather exhaustive search for a new arm, I ordered from Newmar at around $140. I had probably found the right one at a lower price by then but wanted to get it right the first time.

Finally I just measured the threaded part of the shaft, looked up the torque spec for M12 in 8.8, and sho-nuff - 65lbs. So Ive had a bit of an education in wipers, starting when my drivers side decided to wipe the back of my driver’s side mirror rather than the windshield in a nice little storm. Fun times.

But I did not know the knozzles were adjustable
Good info, thanks

Here is a link for new arms around 59.00 https://integrityrvparts.com/collect...s-wiper-blades

Blades 29.00 https://integrityrvparts.com/collect...wiper-blade-36
Old 12-29-2020, 05:23 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie 4369 View Post
Good info, thanks

Here is a link for new arms around 59.00 https://integrityrvparts.com/collect...s-wiper-blades
Ah yes, I remember now. 825mm. I also found some at 900mm. But mine are about 870mm and of course no part # on them, hence my struggles. I knew there was something else I knew...

Chances are either would have been fine. It will be interesting to see how long my new $140 one actually is when it gets here.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:04 PM   #7

Angry

I discovered some years back that the squirters on cars are also adjustable. I use a torch tip cleaner to do so. Talking about loosing wiper arms I have several times on a snow plow and always at the worst time.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 70 View Post
I discovered some years back that the squirters on cars are also adjustable. I use a torch tip cleaner to do so. Talking about loosing wiper arms I have several times on a snow plow and always at the worst time.
One of those things that never breaks unless your using it, need it and at the worse possible times.

That is why I am being proactive on this replacement.

I knew something was wrong when I lift the wiper arm and felt it rocking on the shaft.

Ted.
Old 12-30-2020, 03:12 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Ted.....keep up the projects. Every once and a while, this forum needs new people/blood to do mods on new coaches to keep things interesting. I've done a ton of mods, but most of mine have been the same mods I did to my 2014 and posted them back way back then.

As my coach gets older, less mods needed, so new/newer people need to post what they've done to the newer coaches.

I'm also becoming a dinosaur as electronics pass me by. So keep up the mods and the postings. You would be amazed at how many people read what you do, don't necessarily mention it, but do the mod later.

I put the wiper nozzles into the old brain bank. Unfortunately, in California, I drive in the rain about once every 2-3 years. Consequently, I rarely use the wipers/washer.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Ted.....keep up the projects. Every once and a while, this forum needs new people/blood to do mods on new coaches to keep things interesting. I've done a ton of mods, but most of mine have been the same mods I did to my 2014 and posted them back way back then.

As my coach gets older, less mods needed, so new/newer people need to post what they've done to the newer coaches.

I'm also becoming a dinosaur as electronics pass me by. So keep up the mods and the postings. You would be amazed at how many people read what you do, don't necessarily mention it, but do the mod later.

I put the wiper nozzles into the old brain bank. Unfortunately, in California, I drive in the rain about once every 2-3 years. Consequently, I rarely use the wipers/washer.
Thanks Don, I have read a lot of your Mod projects and have been inspired as well.

I am glad that I am able to share my projects to inspire others.

I don't always have time to post what I am doing so I definitely missed a few I could have shared.

I love to tinker, I recently found a great location to store my 15 ft. extend a ladder I just picked up.

I set it on top of the frame rails in the first pass through bay, fits like a glove and locks in via the plastic cladding on the ladder.

I did glue a block of wood on top of the frame at the top side of the ladder to keep it off the water line, not that it would be a problem but I wanted to be sure, bonus it sits flatter and won't rock.

I live up here in the North East so road grime is a regular occurrence so washers are important and get used often, that is why I increased the size of my washer bottle from 4 qt. to 6 qt.

Have a happy New year.