Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2022, 08:41 AM   #1

Did you know your Xite radio/GPS and 360 Camara stay powered up 24/7

So I guess another OCD project, LOL. In the infinite wisdom of Newmar they have wired the Xitie infotainment/GPS unit and the 360 cameras and modules to stay powered on 24/7. When you shut the power off on the screens you are only killing the power to the screens themselves not the other 2 modules and cameras.

After 3 burned out cameras in 2 years I finally had a conversation with Riverpark and ask why these unites were wired that way, their answer "that's a good question" other than on some of the higher end coaches have an option to view the cameras on the Silverleaf. So I ask, is there any issue to cutting the power to all of these item when not in use and was told, Absolutely no problem.

The infotainment unit has is a 12v accessory trigger wire (same as use in a vehicle that shuts the radio down when the key is off) but Newmar has it wired to a constant 12 volts therefore the radio stays powered 24/7. The camera module is wired to the 12v chassis battery fuse panel in the electrical reel bay. It's wired to the side of this fuse panel that even if you shut the chassis batteries switch down it still stays powered. up

So my solutions, first I installed a pushbutton switch in the dash using the infotainment unit accessory trigger line. Now when I stop and I am not using it I can shut it off. A side note, shutting off this trigger line does not cause the radio, XM, GPS or anything else to loose their preset memories. It now simply works like you car radio does when you shut the off the ignition switch.

On the 360 camera module I ran a 12 gauge wire with an in-line fuse from the module connection in the power reel bay fuse block to the front drivers electrical bay which is where the 12v ignition switch accessory power connection is. So now when when I turn the ignition switch off it shuts down the camera module, and again this does not cause any memory loss.

Riverpark agrees this well greatly extent the life of these electronics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	377037   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	377038  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	377039  
sramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2022, 11:04 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When the Xite radios first came out on the Newmar line, one of the mods was to put an ON/OFF switch on the dash for the radio. It solved a LOT of issues with the radio by being able to turn it off and reset it.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 12:16 PM   #3

Great info and great description. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2022, 05:39 PM   #4

Where is the camera module located?
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:41 PM   #5

Both my 2019 Dutch Star and London Aire it's mounted in the 4th basement compartment up on the frame rail.
Old 09-25-2022, 05:13 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad to hear this info. Thanks

How would I identify the trigger wire?
FloridaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 07:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSon View Post
Glad to hear this info. Thanks

How would I identify the trigger wire?
You unit is different than mine but it's probably labeled Accessory or Acc in. Mine has a 10 amp inline fuse feeding it.

Tags
gps, power, radio