Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2017, 06:57 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Did you pay your dealer for PDI, Delivery or “Setup”?

In an effort to help some of our fellow Forum members, I’m putting this question out there to Newmar owners or soon to be Newmar owners of new motorhomes that did not pay for Factory Pick Up.

In your purchase transaction did you pay your dealer for any of the following line items;
* Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI)
*Delivery
*“Setup”

I will start, on the purchase of my on order Dutch Star I am not paying any of these line items, and I’m picking up from the dealer.
I also must add that on the purchase of my 2016 CS, I paid none of these fees.
I only paid;
*Purchase Price
*Document fee to register ( $75)
*Tire disposal fee ( $3 per tire)
*Sales tax
*license (DMV)

Newmar requires the dealers to do two inspections;

One when they receive the unit from the transportation driver, looking for any transportation damage, missing or damaged components. If anything is found the dealer puts a claim into Newmar for repair/replacement

And another comprehensive report/inspection with the customer going over fit, finish, and operation of all systems and components, the dealer and customer sign off on this form.

Please note that any items that need correction, Newmar pays the dealer to fix them under warranty.

Please add in anything I have missed.

After spending 35 years in the retail new car dealership world (in the service and parts end of the business ) I have seen just about everything.
Again this has nothing to do with FPU at Newmar.
Thanks Stuart
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2017, 07:50 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
This is what paid on a our Bay Star, if it matters our dealer was in Florida.

*Purchase Price
*Dealer fees ($599)
*Electronic filing ($129)
*Temp tag ($6.50)
*State tire and battery fee ($15)
*Sales tax

Sure I paid dealer fees. Call it what you want, but they were getting that money either way, whether through a lower discount off MSRP or just tacking it on. But my coach was damn near perfect when I picked it up. I have since found on small paint issue (run in the clear), and a set screw fell out of the toilet paper holder and has disappeared. Outside of that, I am working through satellite receiver issues, but I didn't have them at pickup so that isn't on the dealer.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:55 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by We_B_Tripn View Post
This is what paid on a our Bay Star, if it matters our dealer was in Florida.

*Purchase Price
*Dealer fees ($599)
*Electronic filing ($129)
*Temp tag ($6.50)
*State tire and battery fee ($15)
*Sales tax

Sure I paid dealer fees. Call it what you want, but they were getting that money either way, whether through a lower discount off MSRP or just tacking it on. But my coach was damn near perfect when I picked it up. I have since found on small paint issue (run in the clear), and a set screw fell out of the toilet paper holder and has disappeared. Outside of that, I am working through satellite receiver issues, but I didn't have them at pickup so that isn't on the dealer.

Bill

Thank you, $599 is nothing ESPECIALLY if they fill your tank, through in some startup supplies etc. I would consider this reasonable
Old 10-24-2017, 08:25 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Thank you, $599 is nothing ESPECIALLY if they fill your tank, through in some startup supplies etc. I would consider this reasonable
Stuart,

Those were my thoughts as well. I'm not exactly sure of the propane cost, but the fuel would be in the $150 range. And like I said ... basically no issues so whether it was out of the factory like that or the dealer fixed any issues, it was turned over to me ready to go.

Bill
Old 10-24-2017, 08:34 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by We_B_Tripn View Post
Stuart,

Those were my thoughts as well. I'm not exactly sure of the propane cost, but the fuel would be in the $150 range. And like I said ... basically no issues so whether it was out of the factory like that or the dealer fixed any issues, it was turned over to me ready to go.

Bill

We all pay for theses items somehow, the dealer strategy of breaking it out from the total cost of the RV is to keep this amount out of the amount the dealer pays sales commission on.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:17 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My dealer charged a $589 dealer prep fee on a new MADP that we are picking up the first week of December. After we placed the order we learned about FPU and decided it would be worth it since we are first time MH owners. The dealer tried to talk us out of it stating they would do just as good of a job, but I couldn’t see how that would be the case as the dealer was going to spend 4-6 hours with us as opposed to 5 full days.

We added FPU, but the dealer wouldn’t budge on removing the dealer prep fee or at least a portion thereof. This is the only part of the deal that has bothered me. But, the bottom line price was still better than I could have gotten elsewhere and that’s what really matters.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:36 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I paid $399 for dealer PDI, Florida had some stupid $11.80 tire and battery tax and a $52 document fee. They gave me 1/2 full fuel. It is a 150 gallon tank.

Wondering if I hired a Wall Street lawyer maybe I could get that $11.80 refunded since I don’t live in Florida? They would have to work on 30% contingent on winning the case of course.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
We did Factory Pick Up last May & our dealer only charged us $85 to do the title work & that included sending, via FedEx, all our paper work out to us at the factory.

My dealer sold me the coach at a great price & I paid dealer cost for all options on the Newmar Retail Option sheet (yes I have a copy of dealer cost on my options) & dealers cost on all my specials I did with Michelle & he forwarded me the email from Michelle with his cost.

So no BS pricing was hidden anywhere.

FYI:
There is no retail price on specials. Dealer receives an email from Michelle with his cost only. This is the same email she sends you, but yours has no price information at all. You dealer can tell you what ever he wants.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:49 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
My dealer charged a $589 dealer prep fee on a new MADP that we are picking up the first week of December. After we placed the order we learned about FPU and decided it would be worth it since we are first time MH owners. The dealer tried to talk us out of it stating they would do just as good of a job, but I couldn’t see how that would be the case as the dealer was going to spend 4-6 hours with us as opposed to 5 full days.

We added FPU, but the dealer wouldn’t budge on removing the dealer prep fee or at least a portion thereof. This is the only part of the deal that has bothered me. But, the bottom line price was still better than I could have gotten elsewhere and that’s what really matters.

Wow they will never touch or see the motorhome, what are they prepping? Like you say best price, it’s an accounting thing for the owner to directly offset some costs, like the people that wash and clean without paying out commissions. I started this thread because some are reporting dealers charging almost as much as FPU. I knew that was not right
Old 10-24-2017, 10:54 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Stuart S “FYI:
There is no retail price on specials. Dealer receives an email from Michelle with his cost only. This is the same email she sends you, but yours has no price information at all. You dealer can tell you what ever he wants.[/QUOTE]

Is partially true in there is no itemized retail on specials and dealer only receives cost, however the final MSRP has the retail value of the specials as a total.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:08 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
I paid $399 for dealer PDI, Florida had some stupid $11.80 tire and battery tax and a $52 document fee. They gave me 1/2 full fuel. It is a 150 gallon tank.

Wondering if I hired a Wall Street lawyer maybe I could get that $11.80 refunded since I don’t live in Florida? They would have to work on 30% contingent on winning the case of course.
Hey Bill,

Interesting that you paid $12 and I paid $15 and yet you have two more tires and a twice as many batteries! Who got a deal and who got screwed But I did get my full 80 gallons of gas!

Ha!

Bill
Old 10-24-2017, 11:23 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
They gave me 1/2 full fuel. It is a 150 gallon tank.
I thought all dealers give you a full tank of fuel?

At Factory Pick Up, they took our coach on the 3rd day, topped off the tank for us & did a 4 corner weigh.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Is partially true in there is no itemized retail on specials and dealer only receives cost, however the final MSRP has the retail value of the specials as a total.

I think that final figure is one that dealer comes up with. Our dealer told me there is no retail value on specials given to the dealer by Newmar. Either way, he forwarded the email with his cost to me & I paid dealer cost.

My dealer pulled no punches & I like that way of doing business. Especially after hearing the stories here on the forum.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartS View Post
I think that final figure is one that dealer comes up with. Our dealer told me there is no retail value on specials given to the dealer by Newmar. Either way, he forwarded the email with his cost to me & I paid dealer cost.

My dealer pulled no punches & I like that way of doing business. Especially after hearing the stories here on the forum.
For me the specials cost forwarded through the dealer by Newmar was the same number that showed up on my MSRP sheet at pickup. So technically I guess it "is" MSRP or sticker price. But in reality the cost was the same number provided by Newmar to the dealer, and passed through at cost.

Tags
dealer