Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2014, 07:55 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Diesel Additives

Curious does anyone with a DP. Add additives to there fuel EVERYTIME you fuel up? And if so what do you add? Just wondering if it is necessary to do it everytime I fill up with fuel
Ron & Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Kerrie View Post
Curious does anyone with a DP. Add additives to there fuel EVERYTIME you fuel up? And if so what do you add? Just wondering if it is necessary to do it everytime I fill up with fuel

I never added any additives to my diesel until this past winter when I ended up in the cold months with B20 in my tank. The AquaHot did not like it & I had to add anti gell.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:16 PM   #3

I've been pouring 1/2 bottle of Howe's Diesel treat into the tank before each fill up. Normally a fill up is 90 or so gallons. I never let the tank get very low (wife's rule). Honestly I can not say that the additive has improved anything, but I've not had issues with gelling or water in the lines. Maybe I would not have those problems if I added nothing. The only reason that I'm using additive is that my diesel mechanic swears that it keeps the fuel from gelling as well as the injectors clean.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Cummins and I suspect CAT will say that you should never have to add any fuel additives. Just use good grade/reputable fuel.

There are 2 "additives" that I do use when conditions warrant.

1. BIO KLEEN is a biocide to clean or prevent algae growth. When I first bought my coach I used a "shock treatment" amount because I didn't know how well the previous owner kept fresh fuel and mostly full tanks. Air and water along with the carbons in diesel are what allow algae to grow. After that, I use a maintenance dosage with the last fill up I have if I plan to be parked for more than 30 days. Otherwise, I do not use it for general purposes.

2. Stabil for Diesel is the other product. I only use it in conjunction the BIOKLEEN when parking for more than 30 days.

I'm am certain there are other competitive products that can do comparable jobs.

EDIT: The only exception might be if I fill up with summer blend fuel and expect to run into rather cold conditions on that tank such as parking for a long time on that fuel and winter is approaching. In that case I would consider an anti-gel additive. However...I hoper that never happens to me! LOL

BTW...in any of the conditions above, make sure you fill the tank, add any additives and run both the motor and the engine generator for about 20 minutes to get the treated fuel to all the right places.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Cummins says not to use any additives under normal conditions.
You do need to use a stabilizer for the long periods of inactivity
such as winter storage. If you operate in very cold climates,
there are different blends of #1 and #2 diesel fuel as well as
additives that will be needed to keep the fuel flowing.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I follow the Cummins manual, no additives except for storage.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Cummins USE to say not to add any additives, but has changed their position in the last year or so due to the poor quality of some diesel. Diesel fuel has a standard lubricity rating required by the Government, yet when tested, some fuel doesn't meet that rating. I just erased the article/test on lubricity from my email.

I use OptiLube at every fill up. I use 1/3rd of an ounce per gallon. It brings the lubricity up to at least the Government minimum and increases cetane.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Cummins USE to say not to add any additives, but has changed their position in the last year or so due to the poor quality of some diesel. Diesel fuel has a standard lubricity rating required by the Government, yet when tested, some fuel doesn't meet that rating. I just erased the article/test on lubricity from my email.

I use OptiLube at every fill up. I use 1/3rd of an ounce per gallon. It brings the lubricity up to at least the Government minimum and increases cetane.
Do you know if that is a standard change of position for the line of MH engines that have been in production for the last 20 years or so?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

OptiLube XPD for me too. I won't say anymore because the last time I shared my experience with it I got chastised!
Old 06-20-2014, 10:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
I've been pouring 1/2 bottle of Howe's Diesel treat into the tank before each fill up. Normally a fill up is 90 or so gallons. I never let the tank get very low (wife's rule). Honestly I can not say that the additive has improved anything, but I've not had issues with gelling or water in the lines. Maybe I would not have those problems if I added nothing. The only reason that I'm using additive is that my diesel mechanic swears that it keeps the fuel from gelling as well as the injectors clean.
We use a little Howes year round in the semi trucks. I have a tank in the yard and we add Howes whenever the fuel truck comes with a load. In the winter time they bring a 50-50 blend of #1 and #2 diesel, with a little Howes added also. This ultra low sulfur fuel is very dry. Howes just keeps the fuel system and injectors clean and lubricated.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:29 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
WOW thanks a lot you guys appreciate all your imput !!!!
Ron & Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use summer Opti-Lube

My MH has never been in any freezing area in the 12 years I have owned it.
Not sure if the heated rear view mirrors even work.

Lube test of many products.
See how the one you use is rated.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:38 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to bnsonger47
Correct on the positions of Caterpillar and Cummins. Of course, they sell no additive so they'd make no money if they recommended it. However, the quality of fuel varies from locality to locality regardless of the vendor.

Here's what I do. I add Kleen Plus which I get at Walmart. I don't use it at every fill-up. I just watch the weather conditions. There are two varieties of this stuff -- one for winter and one more for summer. Does it make a difference? That's a political or religious question.

In an older engine that had seen a lot of wear and abuse, it made a difference. The exhaust was cleaner and fuel mileage improved some (15% or a little less). I had that motorhome for two years and put on 28K miles.

My next MH had the same (Cat 3126). That engine had less abusive wear. Still it helped fuel mileage (not as much) though exhaust was somewhat cleaner. In other words, it helped less but did help. I especially used it in higher altitudes or in humid areas. That coach was driven 30K miles.

Now I'm in a newer coach with the same engine. This engine burns more cleanly. Have I noticed a difference? I drove five fill-ups without additive and four with. If there is a difference, it is difficult to perceive. But, since Wally got my money I feel better knowing I've done something for the economy.

Bottom line -- it may be more likely of value to an older engine that was "just driven" for 180K miles than to a newer engine. And, 15% of 9 mpg ain't much to write home about. Since there is no real test data on the product, make up your own test and see what makes you happiest. Some guys swear by it and others don't because there are those that believe in it and others that don't. Politics and religion --
Old 06-22-2014, 06:27 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnsonger47 View Post
Here's what I do. I add Kleen Plus which I get at Walmart.

Since there is no real test data on the product, make up your own test and see what makes you happiest. Some guys swear by it and others don't because there are those that believe in it and others that don't. Politics and religion --
In a test Kleen came in at 10th place. Howe's was 11th.
Was the test real? Some believe and others don't.
Kleen had a 61 micron improvement the #1 had a 415
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel