Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2017, 04:30 PM   #1

Differences driving Newmar gas motorhome

Hi all,

I keep on reading that that the bigger wheels and the heavier the chassis a coach will drive better.

Does this mean a 37ft gas model will drive better than a 27ft?

Thanks,.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2017, 04:47 PM   #2
tvp

We just took possession of a 2016 Newmar Canyon Star , 3710 model.
It rides on a 26,000 lbs chassis V10 Ford with 22.5 tires.
Stock suspension with no modifications. Drove 2000 miles and it drove Fantastic.
I will install a Blue Ox True centre system .....more for front tire blowout control.

It would seam that the 24,000 lbs and 22,000 lbs chassis need modifications like sway bars , shocks , track bars to make them more drivable, also the 19 inch tires don't help in ride quality .

Very impressed with the Canyon Star ride and handling.

Big improvement from my 2004 Kountry Star on a W-22 workhorse chassis

TVP
Old 09-28-2017, 05:00 PM   #3

I have a 27 foot BSS on an 18,000 GVW chassis. The only things that I have done are alignment and adjust tire pressure. The biggest 'improvement' has been learning about how it responds to crosswinds and irregular roads. In a significant crosswind, slow down. Above 62, anything that blocks the wind (a passing truck, trees next to the road) requires a steering correction. Rough roads cause body roll, which does not require any correction.
OTOH, I saw a Fleetwood on the lot with the same overall length but a shorter wheelbase, 16000 lb GVW and a lot more rear overhang. I have no idea how that unit handles crosswinds.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:29 PM   #4

We just completed a 5k trip in our (new to us) 2016 BayStar 3124. 22k chassis. Handled well. No push from semi's, wind was not a factor. Felt it, didn't cause any issues. With that said, I am installing sumo springs, SafetyPlus steering control and having a two axle alignment. More for the DW's ease of mind. [emoji106][emoji41]
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:48 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Gas vs Gas - simple answer is yes.

A lot of the road comfort comes from a longer wheelbase. That is the distance from the front axle to the rear drive axle. Usually the longer the coach, the longer the wheelbase.

In addition to a longer wheelbase, there may also be larger tires on the longer coach. Larger tires usually for the addition weight of the coach, but larger tires also can help with ride quality & road noise.

You ask about gas 27' vs 37' gas...
When considering a 37' coach, there is a good chance that diesel may come into the equation as I would personally be looking at diesel pusher for sure in the 37' coach market. Newmar is hard to beat on the 37' diesel market just in ride quality alone.
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:57 PM   #6

One has to watch the longer the coach the longer the wheel base idea. It probably holds true for the rear drive units like a DP because the engine is in the back. One of the favorite gasser tricks is to put a longer house on a short wheel base. That can lead to stability issues. Check the wheel base between floor plans you are interested in.

Newmar is known to cut down heavier longer chassis to get one of the longest wheel bases in the business on their shorter MH's.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:17 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Newmar is known to cut down heavier longer chassis to get one of the longest wheel bases in the business on their shorter MH's.
So, this is a plus for Newmar over other manufactures.

Again, at 37', I would strongly be looking diesel pushers if budget allows
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:26 PM   #8

The Newmar 3610/3710(basically the same MH) on the 26K chassis drives great. It has a longer wheelbase, and it is not on a shorter wheelbase chassis. Newmar is one of the better manufacturers when it comes to engineering the MH to the chassis which makes a big difference. Ours came with front and back stabilizer bars/heavy duty front track bar, and the 22.5 tires. It does not get pushed around by wind or big trucks, tracks great and very little(if any)sway or roll. Very easy to drive, and maneuver even in tight spots.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:32 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I must have gotten a 2016 3710 that was built on a Monday. For me stock it was very unnerving to drive on So Cal roads and hills, passing trucks moved it around a lot. After adding heavy duty front sway bar, sumo springs, Safe T Steer stabilizer, SS rear track bar, Rear CHF and adjusting tire pressure it was 75% great. I felt that engine braking down hill was week. As far as the motorhome itself, Newmar builds the best!
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:56 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Our 2013 Canyon Star 3940 is great. Pretty much stock as it came from Newmar. We now have over 32K miles on it and look forward to the next 32K. My DW loves to drive it almost as much as I do. Drives nicely. It isn't a diesel but tows our GMC Terrain without issue. If your expectations are realistic as to ride comfort, overall power, etc. you should be very happy with a Newmar gas coach. We wanted a new coach and simply didn't want to spend the $$$$ for a diesel. Good luck with your choices and decisions.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:59 AM   #11

A diesel would be nice but would have to go too far back in years to be able to afford it. A 2-3 year old Newmar gas model is affordable to us.

I am thinking in the 30-35ft range, already have a 35ft Damon. The Ford sticker says it's has a 20500lb GAWR. I must preume this chassis could be heavier fun.

Coach weighs about 17500lb loaded.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:14 AM   #12

[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160909_161940.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	178191  
Old 09-29-2017, 10:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Hi all,

I keep on reading that that the bigger wheels and the heavier the chassis a coach will drive better.

Does this mean a 37ft gas model will drive better than a 27ft?

Thanks,.
I have a 2017 CS 3710, first Class A. Coming from a Alpenlite 5ver, 37', 4 slides, 8 years, bought new, custom, factory pick up.

Looked at Tiffin's, gas and diesel, considered a Newmar diesel before getting a gasser. I needed a floor plan that worked, and a king bed. 38' is almost too big for me, but the CS comes closest to what works for me. I'll put less than 100 miles on it this year, probably next year the same. Until my lifestyle changes the time I can use the CS, and want to go exploring Western states, that's the schedule.

My '08 5ver had less than 500 miles when I sold it last year excluding the drive down from Chehalis, WA.

The F53 is fine, did my first oil change, not a big deal. 2k miles from the factory to SoCal towing a CRV. That was fine though I had cross wind on I-40 between Albuquerque and Barstow, lots of semi's and some white knuckling. No big deal.

Kitchen area is lacking in counter space and takes a lot of shuffling of dishes and pans to make a meal.

For me, there is no perfect MH. My CS comes close and I love it when using it. Mostly I'm living in it and not driving.

I really don't like, but accept, the way I need to brake coming down a hill. The Grapevine (Cajon Pass) was long and loud. I'm hard of hearing but I heard the engine screaming at 4-5k rpm. Lots of hard brake pumping. Same thing on the Raton Pass (CO > NM). I'm accepting this too. Not a deal breaker.

So, the CS handles OK otherwise, suspension is good with the upgrades Newmar did. I'd buy one again but look hard at something smaller.

Wish this CS was 35'.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:47 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland0311 View Post
I have a 2017 CS 3710, first Class A. Coming from a Alpenlite 5ver, 37', 4 slides, 8 years, bought new, custom, factory pick up.

Looked at Tiffin's, gas and diesel, considered a Newmar diesel before getting a gasser. I needed a floor plan that worked, and a king bed. 38' is almost too big for me, but the CS comes closest to what works for me. I'll put less than 100 miles on it this year, probably next year the same. Until my lifestyle changes the time I can use the CS, and want to go exploring Western states, that's the schedule.

My '08 5ver had less than 500 miles when I sold it last year excluding the drive down from Chehalis, WA.

The F53 is fine, did my first oil change, not a big deal. 2k miles from the factory to SoCal towing a CRV. That was fine though I had cross wind on I-40 between Albuquerque and Barstow, lots of semi's and some white knuckling. No big deal.

Kitchen area is lacking in counter space and takes a lot of shuffling of dishes and pans to make a meal.

For me, there is no perfect MH. My CS comes close and I love it when using it. Mostly I'm living in it and not driving.

I really don't like, but accept, the way I need to brake coming down a hill. The Grapevine (Cajon Pass) was long and loud. I'm hard of hearing but I heard the engine screaming at 4-5k rpm. Lots of hard brake pumping. Same thing on the Raton Pass (CO > NM). I'm accepting this too. Not a deal breaker.

So, the CS handles OK otherwise, suspension is good with the upgrades Newmar did. I'd buy one again but look hard at something smaller.

Wish this CS was 35'.

Your observations are a lot like mine, we both live in California. I have said this many times, the roads where you drive have a lot to do with the perception of how well your MH handles! If your not using tow/haul mode you should when descending. The 5 Star tune that I Added really improved T/H engine braking, however I still felt like I had to ride the brakes going down steep canyon type hills.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, motorhome, newmar