Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2018, 01:37 PM   #1

Differences from 2015 to 2016

Looking at two Dutch star coaches 43xx series. One is a 15 and the other a 16. ‘15 has 7k miles. Mint. One owner. $400k msrp. The other is a 2016 21k miles with a sticker of close to $480k and has tons of option and custom features etc.

I’m not worried about the options list more so the jump from a 15 to a 16. I’m more focused on the chassis upgrades, weight increase, x bracing (v ride) etc going to a 16. All said and done, it’ll be about a $70k difference between the two coaches.

Thoughts? Opinions???

Is there enough concern regarding the tag axle alignment issues that some have had or brought up here to worry about? The 2015 coach is absolutely in new condition. We’re taking a year off and traveling w our 3 kids so I want to make sure I’m buying the right coach etc.

Thx in advance for your input!!
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2018, 01:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis

I think the Star Foundation started in 2016.

Also, does the 15 have the rear escape door?

I think 16 may have been first year for HWH full wall slide with More Floor.

I’m guessing both are on Freightliner.

How about floor plans?

I would not worry about higher mileage on the 16.

That said, $70k is a chunk of change here. I’m thinking there are a LOT more options on that 16.

Does the 15 have Oasis, heated floors, Garard Awning Package?
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
I think the Star Foundation started in 2016.

Also, does the 15 have the rear escape door?

I think 16 may have been first year for HWH full wall slide with More Floor.

I’m guessing both are on Freightliner.

How about floor plans?

I would not worry about higher mileage on the 16.

That said, $70k is a chunk of change here. I’m thinking there are a LOT more options on that 16.

Does the 15 have Oasis, heated floors, Garard Awning Package?

Yes you are correct on the first couple items. No rear door, just windows. Full slide 2016. All tile floors and no carpet. Floor plans are the same.

Both Freightliner.

2015 has oasis. No heated floors. Has both double Gerard awnings. They are not the nova. It has more than ample features for what we need and I can have it sent to newmar factory to get service and do whatever upgrades we want.

2016 was custom built. features and materials from the luxury coaches, custom ext paint etc. Again, all aesthetics and person touches. It has the slide out cooler, some more entertainment electronics, overhead tv. again all person touches that don’t really bother me either way. I guess it’ll depend on how well I can buy either one. I won’t overpay.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:12 PM   #4

I just bought a 15 DSSP, it doesn't have the rear escape door. Does not have STAR Foundation, doesn't not have the "flat" floor with tile. Does not have steer tag axle. It does have the Oasis.

Be mindful of floor plan, don't let the glitz get you.
Campin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
I just bought a 15 DSSP, it doesn't have the rear escape door. Does not have STAR Foundation, doesn't not have the "flat" floor with tile. Does not have steer tag axle. It does have the Oasis.

Be mindful of floor plan, don't let the glitz get you.

We love the 4312 Rear bunk model. We looked hard at the 4310s and 4326s but the rear bunk seemed to be really function. It has its drawbacks but for us it has the least amount of them. They only made it two years and I’ve got three I’m looking at actually. Two 2015s and the 2016.

I’m sure you like your coach. I was impressed with the ones I’ve looked at. Do you have any comment on those features that aren’t on your coach?
Old 02-24-2018, 02:37 PM   #6

Does the 2016 have heated floors? That is a must-have in my opinion.

Also, be aware of the front axle weight issue on the 2016 models. Newmar offered a rework of the front axle.
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
Does the 2016 have heated floors? That is a must-have in my opinion.

Also, be aware of the front axle weight issue on the 2016 models. Newmar offered a rework of the front axle.

Good feedback. One of the 15s and the 16 have heated floors. The other ‘15 w 7k miles doesn’t.

From what I understand is that they upped the weight limit on the 17s to support the added weight. I heard it was the same axle, just a different way of load distribution?

Thx for such great input. We Love the people of this forum.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:58 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
The ‘15 will cost you less in depreciation. No overload issues like the ‘16’s. and 70k is a great incentive. I like the lower miles better too.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:02 PM   #9

On the '16, Newmar's fix was to beef up the axle, but they could not increase the tire size without doing body work. So, the axle can carry more weight but is limited by the tire capacity. The '17 has increased capacity on the axle and larger tires with more carry capacity.

As I recall, the '16 was the first year for full tile floors and Star foundation. This created more weight causing the front axle overweight problem.
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:06 PM   #10

I had a 2015 Dutch Star 4002, then moved up to a '17 DS 4369 (going to put it up for sale soon, as we have decided to downsize to a New Aire we just ordered; the 43' models are fantastic, but now just the two of us and we realized we just don't need so much coach!).

Changes beginning in 2016 were huge upgrades...Star Foundation, hydraulic full wall slide, are the biggest, and worth every penny of cost upgrade from the pre-'16s IMHO. Our '17 also has 8 AGM batteries, a huge upgrade over the acid batteries in the 2015 all electric (which all went belly-up after a year, and then were replaced by AGMs). If the '16 you are considering has AGM's that is a big plus that will save you a $1,500 to $3,500 upgrade.

We have had no problems backing with the articulating tag axle. Just pay attention to a couple basic steps. before hitting the "R" button. No matter which way you go, STRONGLY consider heated floors, the best option you can get!

Happy hunting. You cannot go wrong with a Dutch Star. We owned 5 diesel coaches before discovering the best affordable luxury coach available.
Johnidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnidaho View Post
I had a 2015 Dutch Star 4002, then moved up to a '17 DS 4369 (going to put it up for sale soon, as we have decided to downsize to a New Aire we just ordered; the 43' models are fantastic, but now just the two of us and we realized we just don't need so much coach!).

Changes beginning in 2016 were huge upgrades...Star Foundation, hydraulic full wall slide, are the biggest, and worth every penny of cost upgrade from the pre-'16s IMHO. Our '17 also has 8 AGM batteries, a huge upgrade over the acid batteries in the 2015 all electric (which all went belly-up after a year, and then were replaced by AGMs). If the '16 you are considering has AGM's that is a big plus that will save you a $1,500 to $3,500 upgrade.

We have had no problems backing with the articulating tag axle. Just pay attention to a couple basic steps. before hitting the "R" button. No matter which way you go, STRONGLY consider heated floors, the best option you can get!

Happy hunting. You cannot go wrong with a Dutch Star. We owned 5 diesel coaches before discovering the best affordable luxury coach available.

Wow this is great. Didn’t even think about the batteries. I’ll have to check w the current coaches on our list if they have AGMs.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:17 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The 16 was full of questions chassis foundation, front axle and HWH slide.
Which ever this link and the TSB Link thread will tell you what was going on for recalls and service bulletins for both coach's or any coach you maybe looking at.
In QT's # 3 and PROBLEM SOLVERS will take you into problems that all coach's have been experiencing in that time period.
Most problems get resolved by the good people we have on this forum.
Good luck in your quest for a Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:19 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Most of the 2016 models (mine included) had a sloping full wall slide. Mine has been fixed having been raised to within 3/8 of a inch down slope. Hard to tell it slopes.
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";4056466]The 16 was full of questions chassis foundation, front axle and HWH slide.
Which ever [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/important-information-for-newmar-owners-375453.html
this link[/URL][/B] and the TSB Link thread will tell you what was going on for recalls and service bulletins for both coach's or any coach you maybe looking at.
In QT's # 3 and PROBLEM SOLVERS will take you into problems that all coach's have been experiencing in that time period.
Most problems get resolved by the good people we have on this forum.
Good luck in your quest for a Newmar.

Thanks 007!!!