Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2018, 01:49 PM   #1
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Dinosaur needs help with streaming internet to TV

I've been trying to figure out how to stream from the internet to my Sony TV in the coach, but am confronted with a confusing bunch of setup choices that I don't understand. Help!

First, is it even possible to connect the TV via Bluetooth to the WiFiRanger router in the coach? If so, through which settings menu? This ol' dinosaur is befuddled.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2018, 02:06 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am following with you. There are some highly skilled IT type that contribute to the forum frequently
wishalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:18 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Jim,

I’d be happy to help you. While the effort of placing a soup can over the WiFi ranger and another can at the TV connected by a string, I have to tell you that won’t work.

Your WiFi ranger broadcasts WiFi and not Bluetooth. They are different. Just like you connected your phone or tablet to the WiFi you do the same in the network setup of your TV’s settings (all TV’s). Follow the wireless setup wizard I believe it is.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:55 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
An easy way (if) your television isn't bluetooth enabled is to get a Microsoft Display Adapter and plug it into your TV's available HDMI Port and power it using an available USB port. You can then stream from computer, laptop, tablet or phone.
You will need to also download the Microsoft Display Adapter from the Android or Iphone store. The MS Display Adapter was around $45 as I recall.

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-P3Q.../dp/B01AZC3J3M

You simply connect the device you are streaming from to the device plugged into your TV and then you are mirroring what ever is on the device to the TV. Your device will need to be connected to the internet. Most park WIFI systems will not support streaming. Our hotspot's are connected to the internet, the device you are streaming from is connected to the hotspot and thus the internet and finally the device is connected to the device you are streaming from. Hope that made sense.

No, I am not affiliated with Microsoft. But I have been using this method for a few years now and it works great.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:59 PM   #5
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Thanks, Neal. You got me to the right place...then, the ugly truth popped up. Apparently, the Sony TV requires Miracast to mirror an internet-connected device AND that is incompatible with IOS devices (iPhone, iPad, etc.). Since we are 100% Apple here, that's a problem. It looks like there are some third-party apps that will provide Miracast connectivity and I will need to explore them before proceeding.

So, later today, I will be streaming my beloved WSU Cougars on my laptop instead. Thanks for the help; Neal.

TJ
Old 09-29-2018, 03:05 PM   #6
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie and Martha View Post
An easy way (if) your television isn't bluetooth enabled is to get a Microsoft Display Adapter and plug it into your TV's available HDMI Port and power it using an available USB port. You can then stream from computer, laptop, tablet or phone.
You will need to also download the Microsoft Display Adapter from the Android or Iphone store. The MS Display Adapter was around $45 as I recall.

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-P3Q.../dp/B01AZC3J3M

You simply connect the device you are streaming from to the device plugged into your TV and then you are mirroring what ever is on the device to the TV. Your device will need to be connected to the internet. Most park WIFI systems will not support streaming. Our hotspot's are connected to the internet, the device you are streaming from is connected to the hotspot and thus the internet and finally the device is connected to the device you are streaming from. Hope that made sense.

I've been using this method for a few years now and it works great.
Thanks. That's another option I will need to explore. Technology is burying this old dinosaur. My young grandson is now grown up and married, so he's not available to help me anymore. Time marches on.

TJ
Old 09-29-2018, 03:11 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Thanks, Neal. You got me to the right place...then, the ugly truth popped up. Apparently, the Sony TV requires Miracast to mirror an internet-connected device AND that is incompatible with IOS devices (iPhone, iPad, etc.). Since we are 100% Apple here, that's a problem. It looks like there are some third-party apps that will provide Miracast connectivity and I will need to explore them before proceeding.

So, later today, I will be streaming my beloved WSU Cougars on my laptop instead. Thanks for the help; Neal.

TJ

Jim

I have Apple TV’s which do that. Look at getting one or two.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:20 PM   #8
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Jim

Or, I suppose the other option would be to buy a basic Android tablet just for use in streaming to the existing Sony Bravia.

Something else for a dinosaur to think about.

TJ
Old 09-29-2018, 04:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Jim

I was gong to suggest the same when he said they are an apple family (trying not to hold that against them).

They can use air play to stream tho the Apple TV, as well as stream Netflix and the like.

Personally, I use Roku's.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I was gong to suggest the same when he said they are an apple family (trying not to hold that against them).

They can use air play to stream tho the Apple TV, as well as stream Netflix and the like.

Personally, I use Roku's.

Jim

Quick solution is just connect your MacBook to tv with an hdmi cable. Later get Apple TV for mirroring your laptop to the tv
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:04 PM   #11

Couple of things for streaming:

You need a connection to the Internet. This can be a campsite Wifi (usually not so good quality connection). For this a Wifi Ranger is a good solution.

You can also connect your cell phone as a Cellular Hotspot. This lets your cell phones data plan be shared to your devices in the RV. If you have the WiFi Ranger, you can connect the WiFi ranger to your phone (that is in hotspot mode). Then, any device connected to the WiFi Ranger is on the Internet.

Once you have an Internet connection, then you need a streaming Player. Examples are Apple TV, Roku, NVidia Shield, and cheap "Kodi" boxes ($40). These players get connected to your TV usually via HDMI cable. The player can be connected Wifi or ethernet cable (cable is best) to the Wifi Ranger.

You can also use your phone as the "player" and "cast" the image / audio to the TV IF the TV is compatible.

You can also use a "Chromecast" device to cast the phone's video / audio to the Chromecast. The Chromecast is then plugged into the TV's unused HDMI port.

There are LOTS of ways to do what you want. The most capable and reliable would be the Streaming Player since that will always be in the RV and not reliant on your phone.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:08 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
You could buy a Roku or Amazon Fire Tv streamer and simply connect that to your TV via a HDMI cable. Or I believe that your MADP has a 4x4 HDMI Matrix so you could connect the streamer directly to the HDMI Matrix as a source and direct it to every TV you’ve got.

Then you simply setup the Roku or Fire TV to connect via WiFi to your WiFiRanger.

You will not be able to send video from your phone to either of these streamers. You simply use the apps on the streamer i.e. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. there are hundreds so you add what you want to use.

Apple TV works similarly but doesn’t run all the streaming service such as Amazon. It would allow you to airplay from a iphone or iPad.

Roku is the number one streaming device and has about 75% of the market.

We have 5 Roku’s at home and 2 on the RV. We also have the 4x4 hdmi Matrix and we connect it to the Matrix as “SAT Receiver #2”. We connect it to the WiFiRanger via an Ethernet cable because they’re located near each other, but WiFi would work nearly as well.

For internet we use Campground WiFi when it’s good and that’s been happening more often lately, especially at the nicer RV Resorts (we’re at Wolf Creek Run right now and the WiFi is excellent). But for back up we have both Att and Verizon MiFis and unlimited data.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:07 PM   #13

if your an apple guy, then just buy a lightning adapter cable and plug the iphone right into tv, avoiding data caps on hotspot. that wont get your local sports and such, but sometimes in campgrounds i get 40 channels with the antenna. or do like i do, park outside mcdonalds and download the days tv while having breakfast.
mfredm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:37 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Apple TV works similarly but doesn’t run all the streaming service such as Amazon.
Amazon is on Apple TV now. Added a few months ago.

Tags
internet