Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2021, 05:30 PM   #1

Direct To Dish Conversion Snag Running Cables

I just purchased a 2015 DS. It has a Winegard Trav'ler set up for Direct. I want to convert to Dish. It can be done except for the fact I would have to run two more coax cables (one to the front AV cabinet, one to the bedroom) for my 3 Wally's. Trav'ler is too old for the hybrid LNB that can use the one existing coax to the special splitter (which I actually own from my previous coach). How can the coax be fished to the locations I need them?
Desiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2021, 01:02 PM   #2

I would run them from the roof to where the XM antenna is and bring it down through there to the front cabinet. Then take one cable down the driver's A post under the coach through the bays to the back.

You could also fish them through the AC ducts.

Either way will be a pain.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 01:07 PM   #3

This one is easy. Install special splitter under dome, but out of way of anything that moves.

Use a multiport switch inside coach where it is convenient to access original coax, and tie the existing TV coax into. The switches can be had at any decent satellite dealer, tech if seen while driving around, or ordered off Amazon. Just make sure switch is DiSeq-C compatible. That is protocol Dish uses to control switch in LNB.

TBs will lose off-air antenna capability unless you use, you guessed it, another switch that electrically chooses between antenna or satellite. Again, and dish dealer can sell you this.

Biggest issue you will run into is that most trav'lers can look at only 1 bird at a time, and in western arc only. Your dish service will likely be on eastern arc looking at 3 close birds, or western looking at 3 wide spaced birds. Each receiver will be able to change which satellite is being used so I see a lot of contention over Dr Phil on 1 and ESPN Sports on another.
Krbjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:37 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krbjmpr View Post
This one is easy. Install special splitter under dome, but out of way of anything that moves.

Use a multiport switch inside coach where it is convenient to access original coax, and tie the existing TV coax into. The switches can be had at any decent satellite dealer, tech if seen while driving around, or ordered off Amazon. Just make sure switch is DiSeq-C compatible. That is protocol Dish uses to control switch in LNB.

TBs will lose off-air antenna capability unless you use, you guessed it, another switch that electrically chooses between antenna or satellite. Again, and dish dealer can sell you this.

Biggest issue you will run into is that most trav'lers can look at only 1 bird at a time, and in western arc only. Your dish service will likely be on eastern arc looking at 3 close birds, or western looking at 3 wide spaced birds. Each receiver will be able to change which satellite is being used so I see a lot of contention over Dr Phil on 1 and ESPN Sports on another.
My Travler has 3 LNBs and I can watch shows on different satellites on any tv

Tags
cable, conversion, dish