Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2019, 01:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Direct transmits both SD and HD
Yes it sure does and DT has 4K as well

Our UHDTV.s all have near perfect picture on DirecTV at all the receivers

We had lifelong free HD with Dish but to much bs with the different locations so went to DirecTV

Waiting now to see how the new changes all play out
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #30

Has DirectV stopped using satellite 110? My Winegard Trav'ler has always picked up 101/110/119. Now it's only getting 101 & 119.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten-Red View Post
Has DirectV stopped using satellite 110? My Winegard Trav'ler has always picked up 101/110/119. Now it's only getting 101 & 119.
DirecTV-5 is an old AskyB sat which was bought by PrineStar. DirecTV got it when they bought PrimeStar. It is still broadcasting Spanish language programs from the 109.8 W orbit and is spotted to Puerto Rico. So unless you travel to Puerto Rico or southern Cuba you probably wont be able to receive the signals.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:05 PM   #32

We’ve had direct tv in our mh for over 5 yrs, not cheap but tv service is good. I call them regularly to change my “ service address “ so I can get local channels. If you get someone on the phone who is clueless, hang up and call again
Cfyanes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
DirecTV-5 is an old AskyB sat which was bought by PrineStar. DirecTV got it when they bought PrimeStar. It is still broadcasting Spanish language programs from the 109.8 W orbit and is spotted to Puerto Rico. So unless you travel to Puerto Rico or southern Cuba you probably wont be able to receive the signals.
Thanks, good to know it's not my equipment.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:50 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfyanes View Post
We’ve had direct tv in our mh for over 5 yrs, not cheap but tv service is good. I call them regularly to change my “ service address “ so I can get local channels. If you get someone on the phone who is clueless, hang up and call again
The issues noted are getting locals at your home as well? If you only have one location it isn't an issue, simply a call or change it on line

Folks having issues have at least two service locations
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:01 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
The issues noted are getting locals at your home as well? If you only have one location it isn't an issue, simply a call or change it on line

Folks having issues have at least two service locations
the issue is changing from Home location to Vacation location and back again. Very easy until ATT got involved.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:22 PM   #36

Do whatever it takes to change to Dish! Call the manufacturer of your dish, I think it’s Winegard , they can tell you what you need to do to get set up for Dish. We still have DirecTV, we upgraded to HD and they wouldn’t send a Genie to us. It had to be delivered by their Tech. A Tech who CAN NOT go on an RV roof to troubleshoot connections. SO he left and took the receiver with him (said he can’t leave it). It only got worse. We had to hire an RV repairman to do the work w/o a receiver to test it. Winegard was fantastic and worked with the RV repairman every step of the way. Steer clear of DirecTV!!! One more example of DirecTV Customer Service. We had a CSR ask us what country Pennsylvania was in?!?!?
Old 04-14-2019, 03:48 PM   #37

Dish for my RV

We fulltime so we don't have a B/M, just the RV. When we purchased it, it had a Winegard for Direct. As part of the purchase the dealer swapped it out for the Dish. Easy change, just unscrewed the dish assembly from the base and screwed on the new one. Reprogramed the control box inside. Moved our receiver out of the old rig and were up and running.
You can rent a receiver from Dish or purchase your own from CW or a Dish dealer.
DISH has multiple packages appropriate for RVers either full or part timers that can be started/stopped as needed due to travels.
Since we use the Escapees mail service for a billing address, it never changes.
To change the service location every time we move, just pull up the Dish app on my phone, push a few buttons, enter a new location code from the receiver and within 5-15 minutes have local channels for news, weather, and network programming.
RichPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:14 PM   #38

Dish TV conversion?

I’m not the expert, but I bought a RV with a Winegard (sp) satellite tv antenna set to Direct TV. Not sure if yours is this simple, but I called Dish, they told me how to flip a couple switches under the dome of the receiver unit on top of the RV. That was it, and very easy. I bought a Wally receiver, called Dish, got their month to month service so that when the RV is in storage, no charges, unlike I heard for DTV.
Eddie Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:41 PM   #39

Thumbs down Avoid Directv if you have a choice

I have had Directv for many years. I am grandfathered into some services that I don't think I could get anymore. That said Directv CS has ALWAYS been horrible but lately it has become worse. They just told me that they will not go out and service an RV unless it is in a permanent location. They refused to send me a genie receiver for my RV. I would look at any option available except for Directv.
natgild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:10 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Stay away from DTV, took box to FL called with zip code, told needed entire address, asked why, said AT@T wanted physical address for box, I said is this going to cost anything, he said no. Got bill for 199.00 moving fee and was told would get another when we returned home. After 2 months on telephone and many lies we are, getting dunning emails and phone calls wanting their 199.00 I suspect they have done this to many snowbirds and may start a class action.
Beabop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
I think the key is patience... Sometimes a lot of patience.

I agree the customer service for DirecTV has gone downhill since AT&T took over and they have definitely gotten more expensive. When calling customer service, it is hit or miss whether or not you will get someone knowledgeable and has the ability to speak English clearly. Having said that, I have had DirecTV service in my home for over 25 years. I also have the HD service in my motorhome and enjoy it.

As long as my equipment continues to work, I do not plan on changing anytime soon.

Good luck!

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:00 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/direct-tv-436769.html - All read this thread. Use the number I provided, doing that I never have issues with changing my service address. YES, the ATT takeover was a mess, but, use the DTV number and you can still talk to DTV folks who know what they are doing. Try to call during 8-10 and you will get english speaking person. Now, DTV/ATT is losing customers, and they keep raising prices, once contract is up, going to talk to DISH, but Costco has the best deal for DTV so may let them do my next service. New coach will have the DTV traveler dish on the roof, so may be spending good money after bad, not sure.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote