Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2017, 04:18 PM   #1

Direct TV traveler HD dish install price

I was hoping someone could tell me a ball park cost range I could expect to pay for the winegard hd traveler dish installed with 2 hd receivers ?

Thanks for any input.
17 F150 Platinum 4x4
Jgmabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2017, 08:42 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am paying $1899.00 total installed for the Directv Traveler Swm
Gatoratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:54 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
~$350.00
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:34 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
~$350.00
That's just the installation number there I assume?

If it's install AND equipment tell me where I'm on my way.

W.D.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:09 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do yourself a favor and check out the RF Mogul Eagle SWM for Direct. Made better, very reliable, great tech support if you ever need it. Same price as Traveler.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:33 AM   #6
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Do yourself a favor and check out the RF Mogul Eagle SWM for Direct. Made better, very reliable, great tech support if you ever need it. Same price as Traveler.
https://rfmogul.com/
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
Thanks SML and Jc2,

Will check rf mogul eagle system . Has there been issues with the winegard traveler reliability?

Never heard of rf mogul before. Would like to hear more on why they are better than the winegard traveler. This is all new to me.

Thanks
17 F150 Platinum 4x4
Jgmabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:43 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgmabry View Post
Thanks SML and Jc2,

Will check rf mogul eagle system . Has there been issues with the winegard traveler reliability?

Never heard of rf mogul before. Would like to hear more on why they are better than the winegard traveler. This is all new to me.

Thanks
Check this out:

RF Mogul vs Winegard - Which Is Right For You? | Mobile TV

To be fair, the Traveler has been very popular and there are a lot of them in service. I just had issues with two that I had and Winegard's tech support was less than helpful. Hard to reach them and they are very rigid in what they will let their dealers do in terms of service in the field.

There are some design differences (noted in the article) that IMO make the RF Mogul better. For one, the RF Mogul has all its brains in the box that sits inside your coach. Much of Winegard's electronics/controls are under the turret on the roof. If you have issues with that stuff, the turret has to be removed from the roof and you will likely have to ship it back to Winegard to get any of that repaired. My 2 1/2 year old Traveler developed so much slop in the turret mechanism that strong breezes would move the dish and I would lose signal. I was in Oregon on a 3 month road trip and Winegard's only option was for me to take the thing off the roof, ship it to them in Iowa for repair, and they would ship it back to me. That was not a viable option for someone traveling. I asked why they could not ship the parts to one of their dealers within a few miles of my location and they said no, that repair could only be done at the factory.

So, I got a dealer who sells both Winegard and RF Mogul to remove the Traveler and install the RF Mogul. He told me they could repair my Traveler but Winegard would not let them do it. The RF Mogul was, IMO, much more sturdily built than the Traveler. I have had to call RF Mogul for one issue and their tech support is easy to access and responsive. Most importantly, if you do have an issue the unit is completely field repairable.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My CC came with the old MotoSat HD setup. The controller burned out so I replaced it with the RF Mogul Eagle 1 controller. Works great and is fast to acquire a signal. If the MotoSat ever quits I can have the RF Mogul top end installed and the Eagle 1 controller reprogrammed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, install, travel