Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2021, 07:06 AM   #1

DirectTV to Dish Conversion Dutch Star Question

I just recently purchased a 2015 DS. It is set up for DirectTV with a Road Trip and Travl'er satellite dishes. I do not have a DirectTV account. I do have 3 Dish Wally receivers from my old coach. Would it be more beneficial for me to keep the DirectTV setup and open a new account with Direct (I would be opening a home account as well), or to convert my antennas to Dish so I can use my Wally's and do the pay as you go? I do like the local channel option with Dish and I don't know if Direct offers that. Has anyone done this conversion? What are your thoughts?
Desiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2021, 07:12 AM   #2

I had to switch a pin on my roof unit to go to Dish if that helps.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:34 AM   #3

I would switch the Tra'vler to Dish. It is not that hard to do.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:40 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
DirectTV to Dish Conversion Dutch Star Question

About 300 bucks to switch the trav’ler to dish and reprogram the controller.
Your choice but dish is much more rv friendly and you can read any amount of dissatisfaction with direct on the forums you have time for.
You have dish , are happy with the guide and programming I assume .. convert the travler ( changing parts on the roof ) you can turn on and off the tuners in the rv at will via app
As far as the portable if the road trip can’t be switched to dish by internal switches then sell it on eBay and buy the dish version you won’t be out much.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:13 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Contact Winegard for the equipment to switch the Traveler from Direct to Dish. The Road Trip can be changed by resetting the dip switches under the dome. This is explained in the manual for the antenna.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:00 AM   #6

I just threw Directv out after 22 years. Changed my traveler to dish. It took about 2 hours for complete change over and programing. Winegards kits about 300 and change. Very very happy with change. I went hybrid and take my Hopper from home with me. Happy Travels
Old 01-10-2021, 09:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpiland View Post
I just threw Directv out after 22 years. Changed my traveler to dish. It took about 2 hours for complete change over and programing. Winegards kits about 300 and change. Very very happy with change. I went hybrid and take my Hopper from home with me. Happy Travels
X2! Just did that so I could get and record local channels as I move around the country. Since ATT bought Directv, they have made it VERY difficult to change your service address so that you can get local channels. I paid a local expert to do the change over for me, and it was 2 hours labor plus the Windegard parts.
Also using my Hopper and a Joey from my summer place. I do unplug the Hopper when I travel as I have seen some reports that they can turn on while traveling and the hard drive damaged. So glad not to be having to deal with ATT Directv!
Old 01-10-2021, 09:25 AM   #8

Thank you everyone for your input. I was reading about the switch over on the Winegard website and watching YouTube videos. They say it's very important to disconnect the DirectTV splitter that is inline somewhere. Does anyone know where that is on a 2015 DS and how the coax cables are run from the roof antennas into the coach? The Travl'er can work 3 separate Wally's. I could watch 3 different channels on my tv's in the bedroom, living room, and outside.
Desiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:58 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Tidbit.....don't throw away the arm and LNB when you replace it with the Dish arm and LNB. Winegard gets $300 for that arm. Many bend them and have to buy new ones. Try putting it on Craigslist or here, before your toss it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Tidbit.....don't throw away the arm and LNB when you replace it with the Dish arm and LNB. Winegard gets $300 for that arm. Many bend them and have to buy new ones. Try putting it on Craigslist or here, before your toss it.
I kept mine in case I ever switched back to Directv.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 04:59 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Swapped our LA to DN from DT. LNB change out was the easy part. The wiring was the hard part for me.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:00 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiday View Post
Thank you everyone for your input. I was reading about the switch over on the Winegard website and watching YouTube videos. They say it's very important to disconnect the DirectTV splitter that is inline somewhere. Does anyone know where that is on a 2015 DS and how the coax cables are run from the roof antennas into the coach? The Travl'er can work 3 separate Wally's. I could watch 3 different channels on my tv's in the bedroom, living room, and outside.

Mine was in A/V cabinet above televator.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:11 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
Mine was in A/V cabinet above televator.
Newmar runs two coax cables from the satellite, one to the front entertainment cabinet and one to the bedroom TV. If you want to run a third receiver, you would need to run an additional coax for that receiver.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vake View Post
X2! Just did that so I could get and record local channels as I move around the country. Since ATT bought Directv, they have made it VERY difficult to change your service address so that you can get local channels. I paid a local expert to do the change over for me, and it was 2 hours labor plus the Windegard parts.
Also using my Hopper and a Joey from my summer place. I do unplug the Hopper when I travel as I have seen some reports that they can turn on while traveling and the hard drive damaged. So glad not to be having to deal with ATT Directv!
Does the hopper 3 console fit in the above driver compartment on Newmar Dutch star 2017 model. Just checking since my bus in storage and I just received the hopper 3 and it looks quite large. I converted the roof top antenna etc to Dish just prior to putting in storage.
mebop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, dish, dutch star