Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2021, 06:18 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie 4369 View Post
I find that it depends alot on what speed you approach the hill.

Honestly is doesn't sound right but If I hit the hills over 70 I roll right up them with minimal loss

If I hit the hill at 60 speed falls more so.

I use cruise control as much as possible.

I pull a 12,000 trailer behind my Ventana 4369 which has the L9 451 HP 1250 lb ft. engine program.

Or I am pulling my Jeep Gran Cherokee Trail Hawk.

Surprisingly there is not much difference between the 2.

There may be something wrong with your rig.

Ted.

Where did you find tires in that size rated for use at speeds over 70 MPH when new?

We have to be careful that newbies will read this and not realize that 19.5 and 22 inch tires are usually only speed rated for 70 MPH MAX and not for extended periods of time or in hot climates since the speed ratings are set at moderate temperatures and relatively short duration's.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2021, 06:41 PM   #44

I dragged my f350 around the city behind my Breeze yesterday just to see what would happen. Rural country roads and some sizeable hills. One hill got me to the high 30’s. How can those rigs pushing 500hp have trouble?
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:42 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoon View Post
60k going down the road Attachment 350132
Wow! I didn't realize the new MA's were that much heavier. We're only ±53K with the F250 KR. Our 11L ISM is a little slow up the steep grades. I found it does better if I manually shift and keep the RPM's up. It wants to lug too much otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0222.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	350695  
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:50 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
I pull a 10K lb. 28' enclosed car trailer with my 43' DutchStar 425 DP. I shift manually to keep the revs over 2K. I usually get down to 30-40 on the long grades out West.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:58 PM   #47

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I tow a Ford Focus behind a 30ft Class C, E450 chassis. The only struggle I have is I40 going into Asheville NC, but it's 3 lanes each direction for slower vehicles. Even zig-zagging US64 into mountainous Lake Toxaway was ok.
keymania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:02 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbazine View Post

48.5k going down the road. 38.5 coach and 10k toad. Only has 380hp/1250tq with a 6 speed and has no issues on hills other than falling to lower gears on steep grades. I haven't tried any steep grades with the toad, but without the toad I sustained 38mph through most of the 7% I-8 grade and fell down another gear to around 30mph on the 7.5% section. It's no rocket, but it is never scary on hills either.

The Cummins/Allison programming will try to hold the engine around governed RPM (1800) where possible to maintain power band peak. I wouldn't recommend stuffing the gas pedal or manually downshifting unless you are in a sub-optimal gear (not enough RPM) and want to be ahead of the curve when the load picks up. The worst thing that could happen is you are too fast for the hill and find a slower car in the way. Almost 100% guarantee the loss of speed will downshift you into a very slow gear for the hill and you'll never get it back.

And putting your foot on the floor when it is in a low gear pretty much only guarantees it holds that gear all the way up the hill. Unlike any normal car or truck, the gas pedal is only used to indicate power demand, not how fast you want to go.So if your foot is on the floor (calling for maximum power) the powertrain controller will look at your current load, percentage of maximum power being produced and expected RPM (power point) if it upshifts. It will decide that it will make [i[less[/i] power if it were to go faster and upshift, therefore it will not go any faster. This is why you may (or may not with rear engines) notice the radiator fan cut out when you put your foot on the floor. The engine will sacrifice cooling performance and allow an over-power condition (you'll see the temp gauge climb like a rocket) until it thermally limits on the power boost. The radiator fan(s) are worth about 70-100hp at full engagement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie 4369 View Post
I find that it depends alot on what speed you approach the hill.

Honestly is doesn't sound right but If I hit the hills over 70 I roll right up them with minimal loss

If I hit the hill at 60 speed falls more so.

I use cruise control as much as possible.

I pull a 12,000 trailer behind my Ventana 4369 which has the L9 451 HP 1250 lb ft. engine program.

Or I am pulling my Jeep Gran Cherokee Trail Hawk.

Surprisingly there is not much difference between the 2.

There may be something wrong with your rig.

Ted.
Agree!

Just do like the truckers speed up before the hill and be ready to go around slower traffic.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:14 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoon View Post
Pulling a full size Denali Pickup behind a 21 MA and surprised how much of a struggle it is in the hills of NC. Is there anyone else pulling something similar? If so, how's your performance?
If only the TOAD would help push when going up hill!
mgoldstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:30 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Where did you find tires in that size rated for use at speeds over 70 MPH when new?

We have to be careful that newbies will read this and not realize that 19.5 and 22 inch tires are usually only speed rated for 70 MPH MAX and not for extended periods of time or in hot climates since the speed ratings are set at moderate temperatures and relatively short duration's.

Newmar put XZA2 ENERGY and X LINE ENERGY COACH tires on mine and they're rated for 75.
Suburbazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:38 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoldstone View Post
If only the TOAD would help push when going up hill!
One thing I can mention is that a brand new engine does run a bit stiff and when we got ours, mileage was not as good as I had hoped and power on hills was OK but not super. Every couple thousand miles the mileage got better and power has improved on hills a LOT. I live in the WNC mountains and am very familiar with hills around here, such as the 6 mile hill between Black Mountain and Old Fort at 7% grade. I am very satisfied with the current performance at 36,000 miles now and get 8 mpg on many trips, 9 mpg on occasion towing a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:03 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post

Where are you getting any information that most tires are only rated for 70MPH MAX and only for short periods of time?

The speed rating is exactly that, the RATED speed at which a tire can run at its proper inflation and load. The tire is RATED to perform for its entire service life at that speed assuming the prior requirements of pressure and load are correctly identified. It's even possible to exceed the "rated" service limit in some cases such as altering the scale of the load to pressure rating in favor of less weight to more pressure (rare, follow manufacturer instructions).

J (62mph) and K (68mph) rated tires are VERY rare in 19.5 and 22.5 on the motor chassis- most if not all tires used on RVs and trucks ever shipped are at least L rated. I imagine some rare cases you got a J or K rated trailer tire on an older unit, but anyone driving on those tires should have already been informed that the rated speed is lower than the posted interstate speeds.

Don't fear monger the newbies with incorrect and incomplete information. The better way to say it would be to "KNOW YOUR TIRES." Any newbie should be more thoroughly drilled on their pressure to load range charts (which means they also know the rating) and worry less about unspecific numbers like "short duration 70mph max."
Suburbazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:40 PM   #53

That's a lot of weight to move down the road. Or up the hill in this case. I would put it on a truck scale to check how much it actually weighs. I bet you up around 60,000 lbs. Most Big rigs gross at 80,000. You gotta be right here with them. Are you able to pass them on a pull?
Sossage2t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:11 PM   #54

(Somewhat redundant ) but oldcoon wants more speed up those hills and somethings gotta change.
I like many others have a large coache with heavy toads or trailers. But most say they are not that unhappy and have developed a pattern of driving to get the most from Their coach. I drive a 2012 Monaco 40 DFT with a 350 hp IH Maxforce. I pull an 06 Suburban loaded with tools weighing in at 6000 lbs.. I recently traveled up through SC, NC, WV. And on up as far as Néw Hampshire. West Virginia will challenge your rigs mountain climbing capabilities. I personally have experienced about the same speed as others here have expressed. I’m not terribly unhappy with the performance but like anyone a little more power is always welcome. Good luck Oldcoon!
Old 12-06-2021, 12:15 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadyacht1 View Post
I just don’t understand why people want to tow such huge vehicles? I tow a Honda Fit with a 300 hp 3.8 Dutch Star and don’t even know it,s back thee.
We travel with 3 dogs and our tow vehicle a GMC XUV is specifically setup for them so trust me people have valid reasons why they’re not towing only skateboards behind them.
Olroache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 06:53 AM   #56

Tiffin Owners Club
Sluggish

You have lots of HP and TQ when you read your brochure. But do you have any idea what RPM you need to get the most out of that rig? Going to "5" and staying in Cruise control is not getting it done for you. YOU have to take control and downshift as necessary to get the best performance. We have been all over the Western mountain grades as well as N. Carolina (which grades are lower and shorter) with a 43 foot pre-Def 400HP Tiffin, now pulling a RAM 1500 Crew Cab.
Yes, you can expect to see some 35-40 struggles on a long 7-8% grade, or even less if you start from a dead stop at the light at the bottom of the hill. These rigs are set up for rolling the highway, not for the occasional hill climbs we encounter. You have to work a bit on those.

I suspect your engine is OK, transmission may be running in "economy" mode. Keep the throttle on the floor not cruise control, and manually shift to keep the RPM where your charts show best HP. (Best TQ will be a low RPM for starting from a dead stop). I think you will be fine, and enjoy the sporty driving!
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote