Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2017, 05:02 PM   #1

% discount off 2017 Newmars

I'm looking at purchasing a 2017 Newmar Bay Star 3113 and was wondering with the 2018s starting to roll out what % off msrp do you think I can expect to get? I've seen similar threads about other brands but I like the product Newmar has been putting out. No trade is involved so that shouldn't factor in.

Thanks
Ritchieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2017, 05:34 PM   #2

I just got 34% 2 months ago on a 2017 MA
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:47 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman62 View Post
I just got 34% 2 months ago on a 2017 MA
What did you have for a trade?
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #4

With a trade you make it harder to get the true price. A lot of dealer aren't interested unless your coach trading in is 5 years or less and very clean. Best to work the discount and then see what they will give you for your trade in.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
With a trade you make it harder to get the true price. A lot of dealer aren't interested unless your coach trading in is 5 years or less and very clean. Best to work the discount and then see what they will give you for your trade in.
i agree with this 100%...

when i shopped my order, i shopped the price of the coach with no trade, then went back to the dealers and said ok, now here's my trade....

aggressive coach prices meant wholesale or worse trade numbers.....weaker coach prices meant inflated trade numbers....

get a price for the coach, and then get a price for the trade, afterwards...then cross check the trade price.....and you'll be able to do the math....

for me, it was trade in book value for my coach, within 1%, and almost 30% off MSRP on my order....which i was happy with.....as i went round and round with 5 dealers and got closer to the bottom, so to speak, two dealers dropped out of the running....said they couldn't do a deal at those levels, it made no financial sense for them.....that's when you know you are near the bottom...when the dealers quit dealing.....

one dealer said to me, after i said ok, well i also have a trade, "i know what you are doing, and we will be the best price....so....just get your prices, take the best one, and then we will beat that by 5K".....when i went back to them, last, and i gave them my numbers, and said ok, beat it by 5K, the response was "do you have those numbers in writing?"......when i said yes, here they are, they came back with "oh, we can't do that...we are out".....was pretty funny....sales guy was the biggest blow hard out there as well.....everyone to remain nameless here, of course.....it's the game.....

i think at that point it all comes down to the hold back/volume pricing that the dealers are getting, and how well they can market a trade.....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #6

Ritchie on a gas model it will likely be in the mid 20% range. As you move higher up in the model line the discounts typically go up.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
Ritchie on a gas model it will likely be in the mid 20% range. As you move higher up in the model line the discounts typically go up.
I'd agree with that. More meat on the bone. Plus, gas coaches are a pretty competitive market, IMHO. Everyone's trying to meet price points to beat the other guy. Bay Stars aren't entry level gassers but they still have to compete.

And don't forget the dealer. Getting a few more percent off from a dealer that's not going to give you good after the sale service is false economy. You're not really saving money if the dealer takes weeks or months to service/repair the coach or fights you at every turn.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicduc View Post
What did you have for a trade?
No trade as I sold my coach on my own
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:02 PM   #9

Does all this hold true for a 2018 Bay Star model as well.....what a loaded question but figure I would just ask it anyway

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:19 PM   #10

The dealer cost for all dealers is 30% below MSRP. At the end of the model year Newmar will give individual dealer discounts on the last year models. That is great that all dealers pay the same for the their Newmar's. That is why Camping World wouldn't be a good Newmar dealer because they would want to buy at 35% discount or more. Marcus is trying to control the complete RV business from sales of RV down.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:31 PM   #11

Do they get bonuses based on nu beer sold or how many $$ of specials?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:28 PM   #12

I was speaking with a dealer and the amount of older coach discount is based on inventory at both the dealer and Newmar. Although Newmar doesn't "stock" coaches for dealers per se, they do take into consideration the sales of units. I have seen dealers get as much as 15% additional of MSRP if a certain coach is not moving. I purchased a coach on one os those deals - and I know several others who have done the same. A very good dealer told me that he has a cost - so, why should he sell below his cost - when the coaches are in demand - I can see his point. This dealer moves a lot of new and used inventory - so they obviously trade at a point that the customers feel they are getting a good deal. Gas coaches have at least 5% less markup than diesels for sure.
Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:20 PM   #13

At some point, everyone wants to get paid. That's why factories give discounts on older models and why dealers sell older models at deeper discount that newer. It's not rocket science. If you're trying to sell something you keep discounting until it sells. if you make very little profit, not profit or even take a loss, it's better than not getting paid at all. Pretty soon, 90 or 95 cents on the dollar doesn't looks so bad.

I'm not sure I believe in the standard discount. Some dealers have lower costs, some don't put in as much effort during and after the sale. Some brands or models are highly desired. People are literally waiting in line. Others, not so much. Value and cost aren't he same thing.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:06 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
Does all this hold true for a 2018 Bay Star model as well.....what a loaded question but figure I would just ask it anyway
I have a bid for 25% off the MSRP on 2018 Bay Star 3401.
cjmorrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar