Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2020, 05:23 AM   #1

% Discount on CStar & BStar

Trying to help a friend on his first Class A and just wanted to check on correct discount from MSRP, I’m familiar with DP but not so on gas coaches.
Thanks in advance
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2020, 07:52 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The “correct“ discount is the best deal you can make. I had a salesman at Holland RV in Palm Desert tall me “were getting X for the New Aire” last month which was about 1% under MSRP. I congratulated him and left. Seems to me from current research that around 71% is easily attainable if you are patient and willing to shop nationwide.

The actual number dealers pay for these things is a slippery animal but it’s obviously enough less that they can sell them at 70% and keep their doors open. I’d go for less on an $450k coach, but in the less expensive market the percentage will have to be a bit more for the dealer to make a reasonable profit. Assuming they pay around 60% (which may or may not be correct) then a 70% on a Bay Star seems more or less reasonable. On a DP it would be more than I’m willing to pay.

But maybe the magic number is 65%. I’d really like to see that confirmed, but there’s also hold-back which seems a bit nebulous. On a Ventana it came out to about 3%, but regardless, it’s one more bit of bargaining power. The most important thing is to walk away form the salesmen that think it’s ok to lie to you. Withholding information is fair game. Lying is a deal breaker.

A good indicator is the price dealers are trying to get for left over 2019s right now. Do a nation wide search on the model based on that and you’ll have a good starting point. They play the “so low we’re not allowed to advertise our price” game on the current year coaches, but apparently once we’re well into the current model year, that rule no longer applies to last years model.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:02 AM   #3

FWIW I got my leftover 2019 Bay Star Sport (the cheapest model in Newmar’s catalog) at a 29% “discount” and I’m happy with that price. Had to drive 500 miles to get it though. My nearest dealer wouldn’t budge past 15% on the same model even though it had been on their lot for over 400 days and needed some water damage repaired!
Old 01-18-2020, 08:42 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I just found a well optioned new 2019 Bay Star 3408 advertised at 73% of msrp: asking $126k, MSRP $171.5k; I would expect that you could get it for around $121 which is a little over 70% .
Old 01-18-2020, 10:30 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
New 2019 New Aire - dealer asking 68% of MSRP. So if 60% is accurate they still have a lot of room to move. Even if it’s 65% (I love to have this number confirmed) they still have around $20k to work with and also probably another $10-15k in hold back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	87BE7BE8-A91A-4E86-807B-88315C583066.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	272600  
Old 01-18-2020, 10:35 AM   #6

% Discount on CStar & BStar

It seems from my past research 20-30% off MSRP is what most seem to get on a new RV. You could do a bit better if they’re starting to get the 2020’s in and the 2019 has been sitting a while on the lot.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:46 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
A couple places with good reputations to try are Steinbring in Garfield Mn., and Midway in Grand Rapids. Also RVOne Tampa gave me a 70% quote.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:57 AM   #8

20-30% is about right. But it's really depends. We ordered our 2018 Bay Star and I honestly have no idea what the MSRP was. But we got it for about 25% off MSRP. That doesn't include the specials the dealer threw in for free and the free delivery from SoCal to Las Vegas. Or the excellent service, the thorough PDI or the sarn good pad thai they got us for lunch the day we picked our MH up.

Bottom line, plenty of dealers can give you a great deal. Some aren't worth it considering the headaches you'll suffer after the sale. Tom Lindstrom is our dealer, by the way, and we wouldn't buy a Newmar from anyone else.

Also, remember that your buying from a small company with a lot of demand and in what is still a seller's market. 30% and higher was common after the economy crashed but I'm not sure that's as easy to get over the past few years.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:10 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We negotiated with multiple dealers, both on line and in person. During negotiations I noticed a pattern, they'd either tell us that their last offer was the best or they's stop responding and after I received three with exactly the same 24% discount I decided that I wasn't going to get any better.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:18 PM   #10

I met a guy this week who got a 2019 MA at 37% off, which is the dealer unloading inventory. The minute he drives it off the lot, it is worth 5-7% less.

2019’s are on sale and if they have what you want, you can make a deal. 2020’s will not be anywhere in that range..
Bchtravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:35 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
37 sounds like a screaming deal and I’d probably jump,in it but on a MA the dealer still made $15k So good for everybody. And believe me I’m logging 37 in....