RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2016, 04:05 PM   #1

Discover Batteries

I was checking the settings on my magnum controller today and noticed they have the charger set to flooded cell. Shouldn't it be set to AGM2 for the Discover batteries, I believe they are AGM's. Anyone know the answer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2016, 06:37 PM   #2

You will only have AGM's if you special ordered them. Check the batteries. If they have caps on the cells that you can unscrew then you have standard flooded batteries and your controller setting is correct. If you do have AGM's then AGM2 is the correct setting.

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:43 PM   #3

I just picked up My Dutchstar 2 weeks ago and the 2017's do come with the AGM's now but wasn't sure what setting it should be on. Factory setting was on the flooded cells so I changed it to AGM2. Thanks for your input John.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:40 PM   #4
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ51 View Post
I just picked up My Dutchstar 2 weeks ago and the 2017's do come with the AGM's now but wasn't sure what setting it should be on. Factory setting was on the flooded cells so I changed it to AGM2. Thanks for your input John.

You are correct, the Magnum should be set to AGM2 for the Discover AGM's. My special order 2015 Ventana with AGM's was also set to Flooded as where several others on this forum. Luckily I noticed it on day one.

Someone at Newmar doesn't know what they are doing. IMO, a lot of Discover AGM "bad press" on this forum is due to the converter not being set properly. Ours are two years old and still performing like new.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:01 PM   #5

Thanks Newmarpusher, I'm glad I caught that. You would think the factory would know that. But they put these coaches together so fast they miss things.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:11 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Flooded Wet is the default for most programmable chargers

The difference.. between them and AGM. Well, if you can re-program, and have AGMs do so, but frankly,,,, The difference is Not much.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:36 PM   #7

RJ51-I posted the following information a couple years ago. They do come out of the factory with the flooded cell setting. On a separate note, I need to adjust my settings on my auto generator start. Low voltage cutoff etc etc. If anybody has any of that information I'd appreciate it.

I thought I would share this information since many of you are placing orders with the AGM special. There is a lot of information out there regarding how to configure the Magnum ME-RC panel for the different types of batteries. Since I spent the extra money for these batteries, I want to extract all the benefit that they can provide, and you'll never be able to do that with incorrect settings. I decided to go to the source and contacted Magnum directly to see what they would have to say. I received the following response from Darren Massey.

"The Discovery AGM EVGC6A-B batteries are asking for a higher charge voltage than any of our profiles have. Here is where I found that information [URL="http://www.harrisbattery.com/sites/default/files/product_pdfs/EVGC6A-B.pdf."]http://www.harrisbattery.com/sites/default/files/product_pdfs/EVGC6A-B.pdf. Their charge profile are absorb at 14.7 and float at 13.6. So flooded would be the closest absorb at 14.6 and float at 13.4. So I would recommend setting 04 battery type to "custom" and setting the absorb to 14.7 the float to 13.6 and equalize to 14.7 then the 05 charge rate would be 100% and then since you have 828 amp/hours change 03 absorb done time to 2.5 hrs."

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
CentILRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:26 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Whatever happened to just plug and play?

Since all batteries require charging you would think there would be some type of handshake protocol for the chargers and batteries to talk to each other. It's like they're stuck in the late 1900's or something.
Waywards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:13 AM   #9

Lead acid batteries are OLD technology. 1859.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
That's my point. Batteries and charging have been around long enough that it should be a plug and play technology. Adding a chip to a battery that can identify itself should have happened by now. My cordless drill has a smart battery in it. Why not RV's
Waywards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeward_aa View Post
That's my point. Batteries and charging have been around long enough that it should be a plug and play technology. Adding a chip to a battery that can identify itself should have happened by now. My cordless drill has a smart battery in it. Why not RV's
Now that makes a lot of sense.

Maybe due too do many brands and chemistries of batteries and then so many different things to charge them with, is in the way.

Once lithium batteries become mainstream, we may see that.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentILRVer View Post
RJ51-I posted the following information a couple years ago. They do come out of the factory with the flooded cell setting. On a separate note, I need to adjust my settings on my auto generator start. Low voltage cutoff etc etc. If anybody has any of that information I'd appreciate it.

I thought I would share this information since many of you are placing orders with the AGM special. There is a lot of information out there regarding how to configure the Magnum ME-RC panel for the different types of batteries. Since I spent the extra money for these batteries, I want to extract all the benefit that they can provide, and you'll never be able to do that with incorrect settings. I decided to go to the source and contacted Magnum directly to see what they would have to say. I received the following response from Darren Massey.

"The Discovery AGM EVGC6A-B batteries are asking for a higher charge voltage than any of our profiles have. Here is where I found that information [URL="http://www.harrisbattery.com/sites/default/files/product_pdfs/EVGC6A-B.pdf."]http://www.harrisbattery.com/sites/default/files/product_pdfs/EVGC6A-B.pdf. Their charge profile are absorb at 14.7 and float at 13.6. So flooded would be the closest absorb at 14.6 and float at 13.4. So I would recommend setting 04 battery type to "custom" and setting the absorb to 14.7 the float to 13.6 and equalize to 14.7 then the 05 charge rate would be 100% and then since you have 828 amp/hours change 03 absorb done time to 2.5 hrs."

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Thanks for that information CentILRVer
Old 12-27-2016, 03:01 PM   #13

Angry 2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Since we purchased this coach in February 2015, we have had several electrical issues.
1. Wire harness chaffing around passenger seat. Fixed twice. This caused a short over the solar charge and across the dash switches.
2. Just replaced six house batteries since 4 of them were bad. Interstate batteries installed initially. When replace could find no date they were manufactured on battery.
3. Despite turning off switch to house and switch to starter, house batteries run down in a few days.
4. Took coach in this morning and while there, the passenger side front half of the cargo doors won't open with key or inside switch.

Any help out there?

Sorry if this being submitted as a reply, I meant it to be a post.
Retired2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:00 AM   #14

The Interstate batteries will have a code number stamped onto the green plastic of the case along the edge band of one side. There is a "key" on the Interstate web site to decipher that code into a manufacture date. In our case it was many months before our coach was manufactured. Our Interstate batteries failed after 2 years of owning our new coach due to (possible)lack of proper charging while sitting on the dealers lot for 6 to 9 months. Lack of knowledge on our part as first time coach owners about how to keep them properly charged, particularly when not connected to shore power or when in unpowered storage contributed to the early failure of our battery bank also. Early education on how to use our auto generator start to recharge our batteries when we were away from our coach for the day, and visiting the coach to run the generator more often while it was stored might have helped prolong the life of the factory supplied batteries.

We too learned that shutting off the factory labeled "battery disconnect switch" in the control panel above the entry steps did not keep the batteries from being discharged while in storage. There are various currents that are not switched off through this switch that would drain our batteries in about 7 to 10 days. The dash radio/nav system and the operator control console continue to draw power the coach is stored, even with the disconnect switches turned off.

One of our mistakes was leaving the inverter turned on while the coach was stored. The inverter draws power if it is not shut off, and will drain the house batteries fairly quickly. We also learned that the red disconnect switch for the engine starting batteries does not fully stop power being drained from them while in storage. They too were ruined within the first two years of ownership.

There are various helpful threads on this forum that can be searched through external search engines to help you learn how to manage your batteries. We have removed all 8 failed batteries to warm storage so they would not freeze and split their cases while the coach sits idle this winter. We will be replacing all 8 batteries in the spring, and will spend the winter studying which battery type to buy, as well as what process to employ that will ensure that our new 1300 watt solar charging system will keep our new batteries healthy for closer to the 7 to 9 years that we expected them to last. We new coach owners could really use a better Newmar owners manual on battery operation, charge management, and maintenance, and/or a battery use training course like the 2 day Freightliner courses about our chassis to prevent the high costs related to the early failure of our batteries due to inexperience.

Tags
batteries