Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2021, 06:49 PM   #1

Dish Network

Has Dish changed their policy regarding local channel availability? We've been paying an extra fee each month to receive our home locals wherever we travel. Now it seems that is no longer available, and that $12 fee now purchases locals at home. Effectively raising the rate and reducing the service. I cannot get a straight answer from Dish. Anyone have a similar situation?
Calpop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2021, 06:57 PM   #2

You can get a Dish OTA adopter. Amazon sells them. You can get local channels. No monthly charge because it uses your roof top antenna. I use to get locals but stopped a year or so ago, to much of a pain.
Jgeib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:29 PM   #3

Understood. I have the adapter but have become accustomed to recording favorites when we’re home, and have been able to do that when we travel. Many places don’t have decent tv reception. Now it appears the Dish has done a Direct TV job on us.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:55 PM   #4

You can use the dish app to change location (zip code) or use the chat the agent will change for you

Zzotte
Old 02-16-2021, 10:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzotte View Post
You can use the dish app to change location (zip code)
Zzotte
Not completely true. Pretty sure that you can only change your zip code (local channels) with the app, only if you have Dish Outdoors.

I have Dish at home and my RV Wallys are add ons to my home account. I am only able to make the service address change by contacting Dish to make the change.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac66 View Post
Not completely true. Pretty sure that you can only change your zip code (local channels) with the app, only if you have Dish Outdoors.

I have Dish at home and my RV Wallys are add ons to my home account. I am only able to make the service address change by contacting Dish to make the change.
Well it does not mean it don’t work, you just left off the slight detail that the system it’s not on your Rv but a home unit, sorry I don’t have an answer for that
Old 02-16-2021, 11:13 PM   #7

Understood. I have been receiving local channels from my home address in CA as I travel. Subject to time zone differences, of course. Been doing this for years and assumed that the “local channels” charge was to allow me to receive those channels wherever I was parked. Now I don’t get those local channels out of the home area and I’m told that it isn’t possible to do that! What? I guess our receiver is some sort of magical box....at least up to now.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:13 AM   #8

I will be doing this for the first time in a few weeks when I move (actually move) in a few weeks. I will be staying in my motorhome while the new home is being built for 4 to 6 weeks. Can I do this using chat? I also cannot change my billing address just yet.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:37 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Dish Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calpop45 View Post
Understood. I have been receiving local channels from my home address in CA as I travel. Subject to time zone differences, of course. Been doing this for years and assumed that the “local channels” charge was to allow me to receive those channels wherever I was parked. Now I don’t get those local channels out of the home area and I’m told that it isn’t possible to do that! What? I guess our receiver is some sort of magical box....at least up to now.

Your assumption may be incorrect dish local Channels fee 12 bucks is to receive local channels where you are not your home local Channels across the country. You can change that zip code a hundred times if you want if on a postpaid home account you do it via calling or chat or text. Prepaid month to month can do it via an app
Once you get out of the spot beam for your locals you lose them 2-300 miles it depends. So you change to the new locals.
You say your in calif ? Perhaps you were on LA locals ? Which at one time were on the conus feed ( continental US) “distant networks” and you would receive them like national channels CNN or FOX ... anywhere. ( national feed ) perhaps that changed. Is that what your saying?
I do believe dish stopped offering that service long ago . (Distant networks) Maybe they just now took LA off the conus. I never paid attention because I preferred getting locals where I was in the correct time zone. Unlike direct Dish allows that change as I said easily and direct has become almost impossible to do that.
Local channel stations disliked people getting distant network service La or NY as they weren’t seeing local ads from the local stations.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:29 AM   #10
GKU

We had Dish on our Coach only and were able to switch Locals to were we were by using the APP.

When we added DISH to our house we lost the ability to switch locals by using the APP, however all we have to do is call them and give the address where we are and we will get the locals for that location.

We never had the ability to get our Home locals anywhere in the country.

By getting locals where you are, you also get the local weather which is important to us.
GKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:59 AM   #11

Regarding locals and "spotbeam", we have been able to receive our local channels (Sacramento area) everywhere we've traveled so far ranging from
Portland Oregon, Quartzite, Traverse City and Napanee. We've not been out of the area since Last November so I can't speak to whether or not this has changed.
Scott201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:09 AM   #12

You are all correct. I probably didn’t explain the situation properly. Our Dish account address is in Northern CA and we receive “locals” from Sacramento. We have a receiver in the house as well as one in the DS. Both on one account. We don’t want to continually change locations as we travel because our house-sitting family need Sacramento channels and don’t care about the weather in Topeka (or wherever). Picking up local OTA stations is often impossible. Up until Monday the plan worked flawlessly. Home receiver got the evening news at 5:30 local and we received it also, but offtimes at a different time due to time zone differences.
As of Monday we do not receive our Sacramento stations in our motorhome in Arizona because we out of the spotbeam. I understand the spotbeam concept, but we have been getting those locals across the country for several years, in fact, ever since we added the “local channels” to our account. Dish says that is/was impossible, yet it happened, so I know it’s possible, unless we have a very unique receiver.
Obviously i would like to return to that situation because we can then be assured of receiving network programming (yes, and commercials) without disrupting our home receiver programming and can continue to record programs on a regular schedule.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:24 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Dish (or Direct) don't want you receiving Sacramento channels at home And other local channels on the same account at the same time. In fact the laws they are governed by prevent it.
How you managed to receive Sacramento across the country is a mystery as unless they were on Conus broadcast its not possible, or perhaps.... you weren't far enough away. Ive been in Northern Calif and as far north as almost Seattle and received my home station at which was at the time Portland. As I said LA was on the Conus and that would have been a good explanation .. but I would think mid size market Sacramento wouldn't
Going forward The real truth is its against your "contract to receive ,on the same account , in Two different palaces. If it was ok your sister or best friend could share the same account across town or state and that's certainly not ok with them. do people do it? sure but if its found out it's stopped immediately. Short of opening another account what you want isn't going to happen. The assumption is if you're traveling you are not home. Maybe you could put and antenna on the house and get the house sitter locals ? Dish makes an adapter that sends them into the receiver and the guide. The bonus of that is when you are home you could drop the locals and save 12 bucks.
Old 02-17-2021, 01:16 PM   #14

Last year when we got back from TX our bill was about 3 dollars higher. I inquired and they said that since I did not switch Wally back to Missouri that I was still paying TX tax.
nomad bull is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish