Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2021, 02:04 PM   #1

Dishwasher leaving everything chalky

Over the past couple of weeks we have noticed that our F/P dishwasher is leaving a white chalky surface on everything. When we tried to hand wash this stuff won't wash off. We have cleaned the dishwasher screen/filter area and that didn't help. After reading the manual it talks of running two cups of white vinegar and that cleaned the load. It has now done this 3-4 times and a load redone with the vinegar cleans the load. Anyone else have or had these issues?
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2021, 02:09 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - It sounds as if you could benefit from a water softener. It's the water, not the dish washer.

Tom
Old 07-05-2021, 02:14 PM   #3

What kind of soap are you using? If I remember correctly the manual for the Fisher and Paykel dishwasher stated not to use powered detergent or maybe it was liquid detergent. I’m not at the coach so I don’t have the manual. Check your manual. Perhaps you are using the wrong type of detergent or too much detergent?

If all the water in the rest of the coach is not causing any issues then, it most likely is something your doing with the dishwasher. How long has it been going on? Did you change the way you use it?
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 02:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi - It sounds as if you could benefit from a water softener. It's the water, not the dish washer.

Tom
We were wondering that. Is there a test to check for hard water? As in something I can buy at Home Depot or Lowes to at least check that?
Old 07-05-2021, 02:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRidge View Post
What kind of soap are you using? If I remember correctly the manual for the Fisher and Paykel dishwasher stated not to use powered detergent or maybe it was liquid detergent. I’m not at the coach so I don’t have the manual. Check your manual. Perhaps you are using the wrong type of detergent or too much detergent?

If all the water in the rest of the coach is not causing any issues then, it most likely is something your doing with the dishwasher. How long has it been going on? Did you change the way you use it?
We use only powdered Cascade. we also make sure the spotting fluid isn't empty. Same amount of detergent we have been using for the past couple of years. I looked in our Berkey filter today and it appeared clean in both halves of the tanks. We do use a Bonavita Hot Water Kettle for our pour over coffee and that had a build up in it that seemed new and never seen before.
Old 07-05-2021, 02:27 PM   #6

Hard water will play havoc with all your pipes, valves and faucets. You can buy test kits at home improvement stores but, I would believe that there are very few places in the country with naturally soft water. Water softeners work well and there are long and extensive threads about water softeners on the forums. I have used Soft Cell water softener and am extremely happy with it.

Back to the dishwasher. If this is only happening recently and not causing issues with faucets or on your sinks then, try to determine what you did different in the last two weeks. Is the rinse aid full? Did you change detergent? Are you using the recommended detergent?
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 02:33 PM   #7

Does the dishwasher have a rinse agent container? They make products that clean the dishwashers. I’ve used two different ones. Ones in a packet the other is a bottle you stick upside down in the utensil basket.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 02:44 PM   #8

Sounds like hard water to me. We add a cup of vinegar with each load.
Old 07-05-2021, 02:44 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - Here's a link to some testers on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/hard-water-te...water+test+kit For less than $10 you can get a kit. The detergent in the dishwasher is leaving a film because it can't work well in hard water. The fact that vinegar does fix your issue speaks to the hardness of the water. We have had a water softener for 5 or 6 years and it has done wonders in terms of glass shower surrounds, faucets and plumbing over all. There are several good brands out there, just pick one based on what fits your needs. We are fulltime so we got one that has higher capacity than what would be needed for the occasional user.

Tom
Old 07-05-2021, 02:51 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
As a follow up, if you are in Eugene, OR the water there generally is regarded as not too bad for hardness. But if that area is in drought then those historical reading might not be valid. You didn't say whether you are traveling during the time the issue came up. Still think a water softener is the place for you to start.

Tom
Old 07-05-2021, 03:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
As a follow up, if you are in Eugene, OR the water there generally is regarded as not too bad for hardness. But if that area is in drought then those historical reading might not be valid. You didn't say whether you are traveling during the time the issue came up. Still think a water softener is the place for you to start.

Tom
We are in the Omaha/Lincoln area. It has gotten considerably worse at the current CG. We have stayed at 4 different CG's in this area as we have been here helping with my wife's parents medical problems for the past 2 1/2 months. We are full time and I guess it is time to get a water softener.
Old 07-05-2021, 03:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Does the dishwasher have a rinse agent container? They make products that clean the dishwashers. I’ve used two different ones. Ones in a packet the other is a bottle you stick upside down in the utensil basket.
Yes, we add the rinse agent as needed.
Old 07-05-2021, 03:05 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a Vesta dishwasher and use a cheap powdered detergent and the Jet Dri in the washer dispenser. We also use a water softener on the RV. No problems with chalky film or spots unless we let the Jet Dri run out.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 03:11 PM   #14

It's hard water. The chalky stuff is likely calcium and other minerals.

Tags
dish, dishwasher