Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #1

Do I feel stupid! ! !

Going on a trip to Pensacola on Thursday so decided to change the oil on my V-10.. Thought how nice it was to have the oil filter right there in front under the hood... Wrong! I drained the oil and loosened the filter. As the oil drained down into the collector it hit me that it's RED ... Ok tighten up filter fast!!!! So I now know where the transmission filter is located!!! Doesn't mention it in the manual.. Since I had emptied the filter earlier, I put in a quart of mercon5 . Now, the only other filter is under the drivers side of the engine but it has two hoses coming out of the top of the filter going into the radiator hoses? It's a short filter compared to the one used on the transmission fluid.... Are they cooling the oil in this way? Ok some help here would be appreciated...don't want to mix antifreeze with the oil if I can help it.... Thanks Guys....
LoveOurRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Get a professional oil change place to change your oil. It should be obvious which filter is which to a person capable of changing their oil.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Right after I bought my "99 Pacer, I went and bought the new Fram filter, and 8 quarts of the best oil I could find, thinking the 3.000 mile change we would be on the road somewhere.
Since then I have had 3 $100.00+ oil changes at truck stops and the new stuff is still in the compartment.
Someday I will get under and look for a filter that matches the one I bought, logic say's the closest drain plug is on the same pan (right?)
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #4

LoveOurRV;

We all have to start some place; if you post the year and model chassis you have along with your question, maybe we could get you started in the right direction. On my chassis, the oil filter and transmission filter locations make it pretty easy to know one from the other. The filter on my transmission would be hard to mistake for the engine oil but I also know that when I climb underneath, everything looks Greek to me.

For example, I was looking at older threads the other day and came across one by DriVer, and how he had upgraded the front stabilizer bar. I saw a small picture of it on the Workhorse website, and tried to compare it with the picture DriVer had posted. I always thought a stabilizer bar would be round in shape, and would be mounted somehow to the steering, but on our motorhomes, they are square and mounted forward. I'm sitting there studying DriVer's picture, looking at the trackbar, thinking my motorhome is missing the 2 1/2 stabilizer bar. I felt pretty silly when I finally figured out exactly where the bar was and the actual shape is square, and hollow, not what I had in mind when I think of a 'bar'.

A learning experience, and I like to have one at least once a day.

-RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Rita View Post
Right after I bought my "99 Pacer, I went and bought the new Fram filter, and 8 quarts of the best oil I could find, thinking the 3.000 mile change we would be on the road somewhere.
Since then I have had 3 $100.00+ oil changes at truck stops and the new stuff is still in the compartment.
Someday I will get under and look for a filter that matches the one I bought, logic say's the closest drain plug is on the same pan (right?)
Larry:
You should have said something when at Silver Cove, I'd have put the cat down long enough to take a look and show you.
No, it won't be "on the same pan" but it will be next to the pan on the engine block.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini
LoveOurRV;

We all have to start some place; if you post the year and model chassis you have along with your question, maybe we could get you started in the right direction. On my chassis, the oil filter and transmission filter locations make it pretty easy to know one from the other. The filter on my transmission would be hard to mistake for the engine oil but I also know that when I climb underneath, everything looks Greek to me.

-RT
Well , I described the location of the filter to the service tech on the ford customer service line and he told me that the filter I described, from under the engine, was the transmission filter, even though I felt that was incorrect, but, since there was only one filter left, in front under the hood , I gave it a try and found out the service tech was incorrect... It's a F53 chassis , 6.8 L , V-10 engine... I just returned with the replacement oil filter and will remove and replace the filter tomorrow... I have been driving since I was 12 years old, Legal in Idaho back then, and have changed my own oil on every vehicle I have owned and have done most of the repairs from a complete overhaul of my F-100 V-8 engine to doing brake jobs on all our vehicles so like many of the members on the forum, I have had grease under my nails from keeping my vehicles going.. Over the years I have saved thousands of dollars and will continue to do so, so I can afford the Gas to drive my Newmar Dutch Star down the road when I want to......thanks for your help.. I don't claim to know everything and when I learn something new, my day is complete!.......
Old 07-05-2011, 07:19 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
My 97 f150 5.4 had the optional oil cooler and the oil filter was mounted behind the front bumper on the driver side, above the filter it has hoses that ran to the lower radiator hose. I think the filter was a Motorcraft 820-S.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man
My 97 f150 5.4 had the optional oil cooler and the oil filter was mounted behind the front bumper on the driver side, above the filter it has hoses that ran to the lower radiator hose. I think the filter was a Motorcraft 820-S.
I think this is what I have. The Motorcraft 820-S is the same filter installed on my engine. Thanks for the info Iron Man....
Old 07-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOurRV View Post
I don't claim to know everything and when I learn something new, my day is complete!.......
I couldn't agree more.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO

I couldn't agree more.

Rick
Thanks Rick, I think the thing I like the most about this forum is the wealth of knowledge that everyone is willing to share with each other. I learn something new every day by scanning the topics. I'm really hooked on IRV2. Thanks for sharing everyone...
Old 07-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #11

Show me someone who does nothing wrong , and I'll show you someone doing nothing at all !
Old 07-06-2011, 06:25 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOurRV View Post
Thanks Rick, I think the thing I like the most about this forum is the wealth of knowledge that everyone is willing to share with each other. I learn something new every day by scanning the topics. I'm really hooked on IRV2. Thanks for sharing everyone...
Please, what us the year model of your V-10. I have had two and never had one with a tranny filter. Was I missing something. Mine was a 2000 and a 2002 model year.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:19 AM   #13

Don't feel stupid. That's how we learn - by trying new things. Those who are afraid to do so will always pay someone else to do what they could easily do but are afraid to try or want to spend the money to have it done. My problem is that I don't always know my own limitations. You didn't have any lasting damage. I think the hoses you refer to are to cool the oil. I just changed my oil on my v-10. The filter is just behind the front axle on my coach.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard

Please, what us the year model of your V-10. I have had two and never had one with a tranny filter. Was I missing something. Mine was a 2000 and a 2002 model year.
Sorry I didn't give the year of the Dutch Star, it's a 1999 model with a 1998 F-53 Ford Frame.... Just returned from Pensacola beaches weekend. I put 5W-30 synthetic Mobile 1 in the RV and it purred like a kitten throughout the trip.. Great oil pressure at idle and at normal travel speeds. I think that this tranny filter was an add on filter... The transmission fluid goes through the filter , is cooled through the radiator and back to the transmission...I will see if I can get a picture uploaded to show the location of the filter...