Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2022, 12:27 PM   #1

Do I have a working slide motor brake?

I have been troubleshooting my Flat Floor Electric Slideout (FFES) for some time. It "amps out" about 3 times from full extension during retraction. I have inspected for roller operation and ramp clearance, temp., bypassed wiring with 8ga power and ground, adjusted Intellitec control to max. Still no answers. I was looking at 007's wonderful sticky's about slide motor operation in 2018MADPOG.pdf. My slide's single motor K900 has a rubber boot on it. With +12 disconnected, I tried to turn the 5/8 reduction gear nut, but would not move.

So... could this be the action of the motor brake, does this motor even have one?

Would the brake still hold the motor even after the power is removed?
Could a partially releasing brake (if so equipped) cause the slide to amp-out?
Does anyone have a thorough explanation of how this brake works?

I have searched the sticky's on this but unable to locate answers so far. Thanks to all in the forum for the untiring support to their fellow RVers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor Boot.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	364112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor part #.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	364113  

Ken n Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2022, 07:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken n Rita View Post
I have been troubleshooting my Flat Floor Electric Slideout (FFES) for some time. It "amps out" about 3 times from full extension during retraction. I have inspected for roller operation and ramp clearance, temp., bypassed wiring with 8ga power and ground, adjusted Intellitec control to max. Still no answers. I was looking at 007's wonderful sticky's about slide motor operation in 2018MADPOG.pdf. My slide's single motor K900 has a rubber boot on it. With +12 disconnected, I tried to turn the 5/8 reduction gear nut, but would not move.

So... could this be the action of the motor brake, does this motor even have one?

Would the brake still hold the motor even after the power is removed?
Could a partially releasing brake (if so equipped) cause the slide to amp-out?
Does anyone have a thorough explanation of how this brake works?

I have searched the sticky's on this but unable to locate answers so far. Thanks to all in the forum for the untiring support to their fellow RVers.
That looks just like my motor, and there is indeed an electric brake under the boot - screwed to the end of the motor. It is pretty simple to test, as the wires are "plugged in" and can be disconnected. You then just need 12 volts to them to test. Brake simply clicks and you can see the tabs engage. Hope this helps.

The brake needs to be electrified to release. it is possible that it could amp out if not releasing.

Incidentally, mine had a loose connection and was causing intermittent issues.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 07:58 PM   #3

Searching the Klauber model number online it appears yours does not have a brake.
This is what one with a brake would look like, you could easily remove yer rubber boot to check. I have no idea why yours is 'amping out', either the motor or controller.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:46 PM   #4

Thanks for the input, I guess I will have to remove the boot and see for myself. After thinking awhile, I assume the brake shoe is spring-loaded so when power is applied to the motor and brake, a solenoid energizes, lifting the the brake. This way you would have a brake-on motor, even without power. If the brake was dragging a little it would add to friction loss at the beginning of the retraction. After a little movement up the ramp, friction may reduce below the amp-out threshold allowing normal travel. If my motor has a brake, I will disconnect it and test retraction. If it goes up ok, that was it!

p.s. It is not the controller, since I have two alike and just swapped them with no change.
Old 05-01-2022, 08:38 AM   #5

Do you have this manual?
Old 05-01-2022, 11:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
Do you have this manual?

Thanks, yes I have it along with others gathered from the sticky's. They have been very helpful.
Old 05-01-2022, 03:16 PM   #7

Just got in from checking on motor. It does have a brake (see pix). To test theory, I removed brake from motor, tried slide and no change, so not the brake dragging. However, when I went to reassemble the brake, I noticed the brake wires had no marked polarity. wires from motor are red/black but brake wires are black/black. Tried it both ways and it did not seem to matter, but I sure don't want slide coming out when traveling. I tried to use the 5/8" gear motor nut to manually move the slide. With wrench cw, could not turn nut. With wrenching ccw nut unscrewed (not just turning, but coming out of housing). Any idea about that?? If I can't get any ideas, I will try to track down Klabuer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6706.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	364236  
Old 05-01-2022, 03:56 PM   #8

I am at a loss... But if you were turning the nut while the brake was engaged (de-energized) I would expect it to hold.
From the manual, it sounds like the slide would move in/out easily, disengage the gearbox and see if it is binding, the manual does mention adjustments.

Good luck!
Old 05-02-2022, 11:46 AM   #9

Klauber response

I talked to Jim in Klauber engineering today. He said brake wires have no polarity since it must work going out and coming in. Manual override nut unscrewing is not right. It is held on shaft by lock ring that is probably missing. Otherwise, no idea on slide issues. If I get time, I will try to use manual override to retract slide using a torque wrench to see how much the effort varies to raise it the first few inches.

Tags
brake, motor, slide, slide motor