RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2020, 09:15 PM   #1

Do newer Bay Stars, or othe models have spongy shower floors?

We have a Bay Star 3226 and during walk thru last month my wife stepped in the shower and noted the floor was soft and spongy--not solid. The tech noted it and said he would order parts to fix it. We are on a winter vacation to see green grass vs grass covered with that white [moderator edit] , so we have not been in contact with our dealer for a few weeks.

I thought I would ask in case this is the NEW way to build shower floors. All of our previous 4 moho had solid feeling floors.

I've done a search on this forum for "shower floors" and plenty of hits mostly older rigs. a few hits from 2018 which 007 has documented most of them. None mentioned a soft, spongy floor. Most, if not all are about the leaky drain caused by a "plumber" (one in training probably) using too little plumbers putty. A few posts about the lack of support for the shower pan, and 1 post about the plywood floor under the shower pan moving. We don't have a leak--but only about 14 showers so far.

It feels like there is maybe an inch of heavy duty foam under the floor. It does seem to hit a bottom and squeaks as you move..

IF this is not normal--perhaps we should take showers in the RV Park showers---hate to do that with a month old rig!

Have others had this spongy shower floor, and if so what was done to fix it?

tia,
Ron

rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2020, 06:15 AM   #2

Mine is the same on my 2018 3401. I have been debating on trying to get in there and "shore it up" with some wooden wedges but worried it might pull it loose more and cause more problems

Old 02-24-2020, 08:36 AM   #3

I don't have a Bay Star, but that would worry me. It sounds like the shower pan was installed without any void fill. That flex will cause it to start leaking. At least it will 100% of the time in a S&B.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:22 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Our 15 CS had a shower floor with flex in it. While we were looking at DPs I noticed the 18 VTLEs had a similar flex to the showers and the standard 18 VTDP was solid. That was a big discriminator for us.

It probably varies by year and floor plan as well.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:48 AM   #5

The shower floor in my 2016 BSS gives some. Doesn’t bother us.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:41 PM   #6

Shower Floor

We have a 2019 (Built in Aug 2018) and we don't have that much flex. Nothing that would have me concerned anyway...
Old 02-25-2020, 07:16 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My CS has some give--I am also 6'3/250. I ended up taking the vent on the bottom side off (a 4" round hole). There are two, one is just and open air vent and the other is connected to the furnace by a heating flex hose. I cut some 2x4 pieces a little smaller than the space between floor and bottom of shower pan (which actually rest on 3/4 inch plywood). I wrapped the 2x4 in thin foam padding's that there is still a little give when I step in and out of the shower--it is a fiberglass shower pan so it is going to give some. If it was solid to the plywood (like glued) it would crack with all the twisting and turning of the frame and floor as the coach bumps its way down the road. A DP has a more robust frame and it is why they can have real ceramic floors.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:32 PM   #8

we have a 2020 baystar 3609. the shower floor has a styrofoam layer in between the shower bottom and the wooden floor, then about 3 3/4 of plumbing space, then the tiled floor at the same level as the rest of the bathroom. however, when i removed the round vent cover i noticed 2x4 wood blocks that were not secured with corner braces to the floor. on the ones closest to the p-trap drain I added corner braces. for extra support under the floor, I also ordered some of these cabinet legs:

Desunia Cabinet Leveler Legs - 330 Lb. Capacity per Leg - Adjusts from 3 7/8" to 6" - 12 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018ZQOYQ6..._mpxAEbQGSPBRQ

I put some jb weld silicone adhesive on the bottom of them and cut the tops down to where they would fit in the 3 3/4 space. i then adjusted them to make contact with the wooden part of the shower floor above. i was able to added 5 of them under the floor through the vent opening.

RESULT: Better shower floor!

Hope this helps...
jdyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:02 AM   #9

Thanks for the helpful reply. Do you think the sponginess is caused by the "wood"--I assume plywood--floor flexing under the styrofoam, in addition to the styrofoam giving a bit? You also mention the 2/4's not being fastened to the tile floor with an adhesive (that you added), and most likely not in the same position the factory put them. A pretty stupid question--can you tell where the factory might have put them? I assume since you could see the drain under the shower pan, you removed the vent that is inside the bathroom. We have 3 vents that would exit from under the shower--- the bathroom floor and 2 outside the bathroom walls, 1 opposite the shower door & drain and 1 in the hall. I''l check next time we use the furnace to see which of those have heat coming out--maybe all 3?

After a month on the road and 2 of us taking showers--our shower pan creaks pretty bad--we think. It creaked during the walkthru and was noted to be repaired. Barring travel restrictions from Calif to N Idaho--we will hopefully be home in a week. Then to the dealers with plenty more problems! IF the dealer does not fix the creaking, I'll experiment with the adjustable legs you mentioned..

rondi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bay star, floor, shower