Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2022, 04:47 PM   #43

Actually it’s a no brainer if you have access to power. The real question should be: If you don’t have access to shore power, what can you do to store your coach and not have it die on you? Please!
Charlandpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2022, 05:01 PM   #44

I use a batter disconnect and then plug the batteries into a battery tender.
kendall69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:02 PM   #45

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
yes

Always
Old 05-26-2022, 05:08 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefred112 View Post
Hey All,the storage unit I keep my Mountain Aire in has electrical outlets. Can or should I keep my coach plugged in while storing it?
I have a motor home most of the time plugged in to 30 amps however sometimes I worry if something short out I had TT plugged in my drive way for the fridge we were ready for Labor Day and the converter started a fire in the middle of the night it was located inside in the front behind the propane tanks burned up in15 minutes. That was 30 years ago 1 year old FLEETWOOD skylark.
Mgtv53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:27 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlandpv View Post
If you don’t have access to shore power, what can you do to store your coach and not have it die on you? Please!
Install just enough roof solar to keep ahead of parasitic loads. (Won't work in covered storage, obviously.) $100 for a 100 watt panel, a cheap $25 PWM controller, and some wire.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:30 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacoal View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but on my coach when plugged into power I shut off my inverter and my batteries are always at full charge, why should I have my inverter turned on?? am I wrong or just been lucky Al
If you leave the inverter on and experience a power outage, the inverter could drain the house batteries. The charging function should remain on, as the batteries will not remain fully charged indefinitely.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:33 PM   #49

Aways plugged in

Always plugged in during storage but also use a surge protector.
Racerpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:44 PM   #50

Quote:
Actually it’s a no brainer if you have access to power. The real question should be: If you don’t have access to shore power, what can you do to store your coach and not have it die on you? Please!
Actually, some brain power is required. I don’t need to keep my lithium house batteries on a charger 24/7. So, even though I have a 50A outlet in the RV garage, I just plug in a maintainer for the chassis batteries. A day before a trip, I’ll plug in to the 50A to cool the refrigerator or run the A/C if necessary. If we’re going boondocking, I may put some charge on the house batteries or let the DC/DC charger to the work while driving. Or, I’ll just top them off at a park with hookups. I could also just put a portable solar panel outside and connect it to the chassis batteries or install one on the roof of the building and run a wire to the battery bay.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:55 PM   #51

I keep my Class C plugged into a 30A service when stored. I also have a small dehumidifier that drains into the bathroom sink that always runs. I check the water level in the house batteries monthly.
JC
j carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:17 PM   #52

Quote:
You actually, in my thought process, have only a few options.

Before you want to use your coach, start recharging your batteries a couple days in advance so they’re ready to be used and since they’ve probably sulfated, be ready to replace them every 2 or 3 years instead of 3 to 5.

Remove your batteries and keep them on charge at your home.

Somehow convince the storage place to let you install solar panels.

Find you a different storage option.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:42 PM   #53

Rv Stays Plugged In While Stored.

My RV is stored at my home when not on the road and is plugged in 24/7. Sometimes I go out, open the slides, put on my jammies, light my cigar along with a two finger neat glass of cognac and relax watching TV. This is perfect especially on a cool breezy evening. I’m so willing to bet, a lot of you are salivating because you can feel this solitude. Memorial Day is coming. See you all out there.
Falcon Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:47 PM   #54

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
We are lucky enough to have a spot in our yard for the coach. It's always plugged in, but we know if there is a power outage and can take corrective action.

Many who have theirs in storage have reported that they lost power, or someone unplugged their coach, and the batteries ran dead. Many storage facilities use a GFCI outlet which often doesn't play well with RV plugs.

If the facility has WiFi, I would install a camera or some other notification system so that you'll know if power goes out.

Curious - - Why don’t GFCI outlets play well with RV’s?
JR S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:12 PM   #55

I’m with falcon rider. Plugged in at the barn and ready to be enjoyed at home or on the road.
kbfoster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:29 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Not me, I use the battery long storage method. Turn disconnect switch to disconnect and charge them up when the batteries hit about 60% SOC (about 12.2v.). Upside longer battery life, downside you need to give them a 24 hour charge before you have a fully charged battery.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote