RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2016, 07:51 AM   #1

Do you measure tire pressure while coach leveled on jacks or off of jacks and resting

I haven't tested this yet (but will do so), but odds are that someone on this forum has. Does the tire pressure change a significant amount when on leveling jacks than when resting on the ground with the jacks stowed for travel?

I ask because we have a FWS, so when preparing to de-camp, we bring in the non-FWS's while on Jacks. We then stow the jacks and I go around checking tire pressures (and adding air if necessary). We then start the coach and air up (ours is a DP). Once this is done, we bring in the FWS and pull out of the campground.

These are heavy coaches with large volume tires. Has anyone tested their air pressure both on and off their leveling jacks? If so, was there a significant change in tire pressure? (This sound like one of those first semester physics questions that I had in college many many many decades ago&#129300.

Maybe the "tire guy" on the forum has the answer.

HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 07:54 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Do you measure tire pressure while coach leveled on jacks or off of jacks and...

In any normal scenario, tire pressure does not change with the changing load. The tire pressure remains the same whether the tires are in contact with the ground or suspended in the air.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor

slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavingABlast View Post
I haven't tested this yet (but will do so), but odds are that someone on this forum has. Does the tire pressure change a significant amount when on leveling jacks than when resting on the ground with the jacks stowed for travel?

I ask because we have a FWS, so when preparing to de-camp, we bring in the non-FWS's while on Jacks. We then stow the jacks and I go around checking tire pressures (and adding air if necessary). We then start the coach and air up (ours is a DP). Once this is done, we bring in the FWS and pull out of the campground.

These are heavy coaches with large volume tires. Has anyone tested their air pressure both on and off their leveling jacks? If so, was there a significant change in tire pressure? (This sound like one of those first semester physics questions that I had in college many many many decades ago&#129300.

Maybe the "tire guy" on the forum has the answer.
No significant change.
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:09 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
That is a very interesting question I am making this post just so I will get a notice on my email.

FWIW. When I was in tire shop changing out A TIRE. the tire guy puts in 60PSI per my instruction (couch unloaded). when I was on the road, from time to time, I check tire pressure. it also read 60# (couch loaded). No discernible difference.
Dan Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:31 AM   #5

Your bending the tire, not decreasing the volume. No change.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:28 AM   #6

Thanks to all respondents!! 👍
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:37 AM   #7

Yup--no change....only temp or a "hole" ...and maybe altitude?????
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Yup--no change....only temp or a "hole" ...and maybe altitude?????
Not sure what your reference to a hole is about, but yes, Temperature and Altitude are the two factors that will affect tire pressure.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:48 PM   #9

There will be a change. Has to be. Sit on a balloon and the pressure increases until it bursts. Apply 'reductio ad absurdum' to the problem. May not be significant with tyres given the normal errors in measuring tyre pressure, but why add extra uncertainty to the equation by shifting a massive weight from 3' overhanging the wheel base to within the wheelbase..
Old 04-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
There will be a change. Has to be. Sit on a balloon and the pressure increases until it bursts. Apply 'reductio ad absurdum' to the problem. May not be significant with tyres given the normal errors in measuring tyre pressure, but why add extra uncertainty to the equation by shifting a massive weight from 3' overhanging the wheel base to within the wheelbase..

The ballon is a horrible analogy, because it's elasticity causes the material to stretch until there is a mechanical failure. If you did the same thing to a truck tire by subjecting it to extreme overload, it would certainly fail, but without being stretched like the balloon.

Assume that you have a truck tire inflated to 100 PSI with no load on it. Each square inch of the inside surface of the tire, plus the surface area of the wheel that is under air pressure, plus even the minuscule surface area of the inside of the valve stem, has 100 pounds of force applied to it. Now apply a load to the tire. The area where the tire contacts the ground deflects a little bit. The sidewall flexes by bulging outward. How much do you think the volume of air in the tire changes? How much do you think the surface area of the inside of the tire/wheel/valve stem changes? Does it stretch like a balloon? No! In the normal range of temperatures on earth, a properly-rated tire inflated correctly to carry the load of the RV, changes so little in volume and surface area that you cannot measure the difference in pressure with any commercially-available tire pressure gauge. Tire pressure varies by dozens of PSI as it transitions from its cold pre-operational state to the point where it reaches equilibrium, dissipating heat as quickly as it gains heat from driving. This is easily measurable with a standard tire pressure gauge or TPMS. Anything else is a red herring, and portraying it as significant enough to warrant altering tire pressure based on weigh shift between extended and retracted slide-outs is absurd. There is no uncertainty.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
How about if you go try it and get back to us? Are you a betting man? Do you have the courage of your convictions?

I've got $5.00 that says you are wrong.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #12

Do you jack up you car/truck when checking/adjusting air pressure?

DO you think they lift airplanes up off tarmac to adjust air pressure?

Check/adjust your TIRES when COLD (before driven on or warmed by sun)
This is best done the morning of travel day

Then repeat NEXT travel day etc etc etc
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
How about if you go try it and get back to us? Are you a betting man? Do you have the courage of your convictions?

I've got $5.00 that says you are wrong.
Only $5 eh? so guess you aren't all that certain after all.

You need to read what I said not what you wanted to read. I said
Quote:
May not be significant with tyres given the normal errors in measuring tyre pressure, but why add extra uncertainty to the equation
I don't have to try it because I know what the result will be. Just normal Science. Any container is elastic to some degree and if the pressure (inside OR outside) changes, the volume changes. If the volume is forced to change eg by an external load, then the pressure inside will change.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
Quote:
Only $5 eh? so guess you aren't all that certain after all.

You need to read what I said not what you wanted to read. I said

I don't have to try it because I know what the result will be. Just normal Science. Any container is elastic to some degree and if the pressure (inside OR outside) changes, the volume changes. If the volume is forced to change eg by an external load, then the pressure inside will change.
In theory, I agree with Tony, there should be some change. As the load increased, let say from 10 ton to 50 ton (until the tire burst), the air inside the tire is compressed more and more, the pressure should increase correspondingly.

Dan Wong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, led, tire pressure