Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2021, 02:08 PM   #1

Do You Test Your DEF, if so, How?

Wondering if any of you ever test your DEF? If you do test it what do you use? I see many options on Amazon ranging from test strips, tubes with floating discs and both optic and digital refractometers. I am also wondering how you get your sample out of the tank? I am thinking you will need some type of suction hose to pull a small amount out?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
lrwinddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2021, 02:16 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I use the tube with the floating discs that I got from Amazon. It's easy to use and works well. Kept me from using some DEF that had gone bad sitting in my shop over a very hot summer.

It's so quick and easy, that at truck stops, I first fill a small red plastic cup with the DEF, and test it to be sure it is fine. Then I throw the cup in the trash can and fill up with confidence.
tqqest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqqest View Post
I use the tube with the floating discs that I got from Amazon. It's easy to use and works well. Kept me from using some DEF that had gone bad sitting in my shop over a very hot summer.

It's so quick and easy, that at truck stops, I first fill a small red plastic cup with the DEF, and test it to be sure it is fine. Then I throw the cup in the trash can and fill up with confidence.
That is a great idea, I was wondering about the truck stops. I have read/heard two different thoughts on getting DEF from them. The first is they go through it so quickly that it is always fresh. The secound is becuase they keep filling the holding tanks at somewhere around 1/3 to 1/2 full that it will delute the old or orginal supply. I like the idea of just testing it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-09-2021, 03:17 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I only use DEF in the box, usually from Walmart. I bought the refractometer (below) and test each box. It only takes a couple of minutes. You put a drop on the refractometer, hold it up to the light and it tells you if the concentration is correct. Wipe it off and put it back in it's case.

https://www.amazon.com/Refractometer...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Click image for larger version

Name:	51louwwOxPL._SL1001_.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	320712

Name:	51OfMVz8WFL._SL1001_.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	320713
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:28 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - So Don, has there ever been a variation between DEF jugs? Just wondering if their QA is good.

Tom
Old 03-09-2021, 03:33 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
They have all been the same. The primary reason I bought the refractometer was to make sure, the DEF was not water. There was an occasion where I found a container that appeared to be tampered with. Any low life can refill a jug with water and return it to Walmart. Walmart says they don't put returned DEF back on the shelf. That may be their policy, but I don't trust that all of their highly competent employees know that rule.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I only use DEF in the box, usually from Walmart. I bought the refractometer (below) and test each box. It only takes a couple of minutes. You put a drop on the refractometer, hold it up to the light and it tells you if the concentration is correct. Wipe it off and put it back in it's case.

Attachment 320712

Attachment 320713
tHANKS. sAME SITUATION WITH ME AND i JUST ORDERED ONE. wILL BE HERE TOMORROW
Excursion 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:18 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have the same one and test every jug I buy.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:33 AM   #9

Just wondering from you experience Drivers, why only from a box or jug? Why not from the truck stops?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-10-2021, 08:48 AM   #10

You can use the same refractometer to test DEF that you use to test antifreeze freeze point and battery specific gravity. If the scale for DEF is not on your current refractometer, get a few drops of fresh DEF, put it on the refractometer table and see where the line falls on your current scales. Any major deviation from there and you need to take action. The question always comes up...At what reading do you take action? Same issue without a scale so you don't really need a scale. I just want to know if it's way off or water.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:41 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrwinddancer View Post
Just wondering from you experience Drivers, why only from a box or jug? Why not from the truck stops?
For me, it's just a personal thing. On my 2014 Dutch Star, the DEF only filled from the passenger side, making it inconvenient to add DEF at truck stops. Before the TSD fuel card became available, I rarely if ever filled at truck stops. Even with the card, I generally only use it when there is a TA or Petro available. When they're not, I use my PenFed card at gas/diesel stations. On the few occasions that I bought fuel at a truck sop with DEF, I wasn't low enough on DEF to fil the tank, since a tank of DEF is good for about 2K miles on my coach.

With all that said, it's just easier and more convenient FOR ME, to refill the tank at home. When I'm at Walmart, I pick up a couple of jugs and add them at my leisure after a trip. The only thing I don't like about filling at home is holding the jug while it fills. It's hard on my bad back to stand there like that. So I made a shelf for my DEF door where I can leave the jug while it drains.

Lastly, I have no evidence that filling at truck stops is either good or bad, but I'm not impressed by the dirty, crusty DEF hoses, so I avoid them. There has been some speculation that those dirty conditions and possibly contaminated in ground tanks can lead to issues. I know the truck drivers drive a million miles on truck stop DEF, but I'm not a million mile driver and I'm just taking precautions.

Name:	20190108_120510.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	320786
Old 03-10-2021, 09:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

Attachment 320712

Attachment 320713
I use the same device and purchase all of my DEF at Walmart. I love the rack.....great idea.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:21 PM   #13

I am interested in testing the DEF in my tank that has been sitting in the tank while we have been stationary for 5 months. I plan to order the refractometer. Any suggestions on how to get a sample from the DEF tank without contaminating to DEF in the tank?

Rex
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:33 AM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I haven't tried it, but I think you can stick any type of flexible tubing down the fill hole. All you need is a drop of fluid to test.

Tags
test