Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2022, 09:34 AM   #1

Does Dash AC kick on engine Fan

Saw a post somewhere, can't remember, that if the dash AC is on it will automatically kick on the engine fan to low speed.Is that correct? Would that help engine cooling going down the road?
wracinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2022, 09:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wracinti View Post
Saw a post somewhere, can't remember, that if the dash AC is on it will automatically kick on the engine fan to low speed.Is that correct? Would that help engine cooling going down the road?
Engine fans in most modern vehicles are temperature controlled. The fan kicks on when the coolant temp in the radiator reaches a certain pre-set level.

While running the vehicle's AC system DOES make the engine work a bit harder and may raise the coolant temp by a few degrees, I've never seen one that automatically turns the fan on just because the AC is switched on.
1JetDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:55 AM   #3

Ok Thanks
wracinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 10:02 AM   #4

The fan cycle can vary by , chassis manufacturer and radiator placement .

Side rad and rear rad chassis are going to have different cycles .

My side rad hydraulic fan is always turning at low speed , and cycles to high with temp AND A/C compressor operation , something I consider odd because the A/C condenser is not in the cooling stack and has it's own electric fan .

The side rad cooling fan on high , with the compressor , is a major contributor to the Freightliner " dust storm " issue .
Old 06-25-2022, 10:05 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 2013 and 2019 Freightliner Dutch stars both would lock fan to high speed as soon as the AC compressor was enabled. Remained for 3 minutes after ac compressor was disabled.

My 2022 Spartan does not behave the same. The AC compressor does not demand high speed fan just by being enabled.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 10:15 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
At least from 2014 forward, on a Freightliner, the engine fan goes to HIGH when the A/C is on.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 10:54 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
At least from 2014 forward, on a Freightliner, the engine fan goes to HIGH when the A/C is on.
My 2011 MADP does the same, and thanks to you I remedied the Freightliner dust storm.
Old 06-25-2022, 03:45 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
This behavior is troublesome. Came into a dusty gravel campground recently. Had the dash AC on in the coach - took about 5 minutes for the cloud to settle. People next to us were just shaking their heads. These side fans can really move some air! Coach needed a good wash after that one campground - really need to stay on the pavement.
sdhexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:21 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhexpert View Post
This behavior is troublesome. Came into a dusty gravel campground recently. Had the dash AC on in the coach - took about 5 minutes for the cloud to settle. People next to us were just shaking their heads. These side fans can really move some air! Coach needed a good wash after that one campground - really need to stay on the pavement.
I make it a habit to turn the dash A/C off if the campground has dirt roads. We once blasted a campground near Seattle when we first got our 2014 DS. We drove down a dirt road and I could see people running for cover.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:31 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
With the Cummins PowerSpec software and an interface device, you can adjust whether the engine fan comes on when the A/C is turned on, or how many seconds it stays on if it is enabled. You can also choose whether or not the fan comes on with engine braking to enhance engine braking ability.
I have the engine fan setting disabled for both on my motorhome.
tqqest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:55 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqqest View Post
With the Cummins PowerSpec software and an interface device, you can adjust whether the engine fan comes on when the A/C is turned on, or how many seconds it stays on if it is enabled. You can also choose whether or not the fan comes on with engine braking to enhance engine braking ability.
I have the engine fan setting disabled for both on my motorhome.
That's nice to know. I feel that the fan comes on needlessly with the A/C on and robs fuel mileage.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:30 AM   #12

Quote:
That's nice to know. I feel that the fan comes on needlessly with the A/C on and robs fuel mileage.

Being a vintage coach , on F/L with a Cat engine , looks like I have to do some investigation into the signal connection between the A/C control, compressor clutch cycle , the ECM and the rad fan control module .
With only 300 HP , I don't have any to spare ; given the hydraulic fan power draw; that always happens at the worst times; usually passing a semi on the Tehachapi or Siskiyou.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:41 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

Agree with you there! Thatís why I disabled that setting on mine. Freightliner was charging me $100 a pop for each parameter change I made, plus I had to go to them. Makes it really tough to tryout new settings. Thatís why I ended up downloading the Cummins PowerSpec software, which is free, (you just contact them as an owner to get the software license for free each year.) Then I bought the plug-in interface device, and now I can change any of the parameters at will and try different things. Iíve altered many of the parameters on all 3 of my diesel motorhomes.
tqqest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, engine, fan