Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2021, 03:44 PM   #15

Wow, I didnt expect this thread to be resurrected. Just for clarification, the motor and gear brake did have a rubber sleeve over them and were siliconed, but it wasn't enough.

Eventually what happened was that the last time it happened, we drove it straight to Newmar (we were only 3 hours away) and had an impromptu meeting. Newmar went over the service history and took it in right away and fixed it.

Ultimately they rebuilt our wheel well and fabricated new structures and protection for that mechanism. Its been 2 years since and we haven't had a single issue with it since. I was super happy with their mechanical resolution.

Pushing the slide button no longer causes me to hold my breath

J
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2021, 03:55 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When this thread started I thought we were involved with the bed slide now its noted that its the vanity slide and the design of it has been around for a long time, never changed.
Going back a few years I save a thread by a owner that fix this problem himself with pictures and discussion of what he did, not sure the thread is in the new slide information thread or not, if its not will now be added.
OK, I found it and its just as fresh as the day he asked for help, does all his service work.
New title, BEDROOM VANITY SLIDE ODED, will be placed in the big on Slides the Good, Bad & Ugly.

This link was originally in QT's # 3 found in my signature and in the section marked PROBLEM SOLVERS which has many old links, I mean old, that I have instructed people to view when they are in the
BIG STICKY, someday you will not have me to guide you through the Newmar Forum.
Have a good day.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:42 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
[QUOTE=pilotspike;5838340]Wow, I didnt expect this thread to be resurrected. Just for clarification, the motor and gear brake did have a rubber sleeve over them and were siliconed, but it wasn't enough.

Eventually what happened was that the last time it happened, we drove it straight to Newmar (we were only 3 hours away) and had an impromptu meeting. Newmar went over the service history and took it in right away and fixed it.

Ultimately they rebuilt our wheel well and fabricated new structures and protection for that mechanism. Its been 2 years since and we haven't had a single issue with it since. I was super happy with their mechanical resolution.

Pushing the slide button no longer causes me to hold my breath

Glad you finally got your problem resolved its a tough job to fix and they still do have that slide in some coach's.
Enjoy your coach and safe travels.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:57 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I also remember reading that someone lubed the slide COG WHEELS and other parts to help slide move better, we do not do that because if the slide gets stuck you may skip a few Cog holes on bar and really get things out of line.
This particular slide, exposed to all kinds of moisture would be better served by this Product Fluid Film to prevent rust, this link also found in PROBLEM SOLVERS.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:34 AM   #19

So to amplify, when the slide got stuck on me the last time, I ended up jacking that side up, and getting in there with a knife to cut that rubber motor cover off.

I then removed the motor brake and when I pulled it out it was covered inside and out in white corrosion. After that pushing the button caused the slide to come straight in. The brake hadn't been releasing.

Once I got it in the hands of Newmar, they took the motor off and found that it had way more corrosion in it than the brake did. It was a ticking time bomb waiting to die. All of this corresponded perfectly with the previous issues I had been having.

There was supposedly some internal conversations between the service department and the design group. Our old corroded motor was supposedly hand delivered to the design group by the VP of service with some message along the lines of dont ever do this again.

LOL

J
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide