Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #1

Does this work for uneven leveling?

We have a New Aire being built this week and I am wondering about leveling and putting the slides out in my driveway which has a slight incline. On my previous two gas class A units I was able to do this by extend the back jacks all the way to the maximum and have the front jacks just touch the driveway for stability. The coaches never got completely level, but it was close enough to extend the slides without issue.

This will be our first DP and am wondering if there is anything different about how they level that could cause problems with getting level and extending the slides. I was thinking about putting blocks under the back jacks so I could raise it higher to achieve actual level.

Does this sound like a good approach?

Is there anything else you would recommend to achieve level?

In general, are DP’s any easier or harder to get level than gas coaches?

Thanks is advance for any advice you can offer.
Gonna_Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #2

Not a newmar but I just built some ramps with 2 x 10's and added same height blocks under jacks to level in my driveway
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:12 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Leveling has more to do with coach length than power plant. With a diesel class a the main thing is to never lift the rear wheels on unlevel grade as that's where your parking brake is on the rear axle. Driving on wood boards with angled lead ins are a common practice.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:17 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 your ONLY parking brake is on the rear wheels, keep um on the ground. Good wheel chocks under the front, otherwise.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:32 PM   #5

You may actually have an easier time achieving level with the DP as dumping the air suspension will lower the whole coach. While the front is quite low you might find it takes less to come up in the rear. I have never been a fan of operating slides on inclines. Especially a FWS.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi kwilkins,
Congrats on the New Aire. That is one great coach. twojayhawks has the answer. Once you dump the air you will be very close to the ground. Don't loose any sleep over this until you get the coach an try it. You may need to level manually. Try the auto level first. Post here if you need additional suggestions.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:41 PM   #7

following newmar procedure, when the coach is still aired up, check the reveal around the full wall slide...if the gaps look even around the reveal, or near even, deploy the slide....then, manually dump the air and level up the coach as best you can...using the stabilizer jacks.....

when bringing the slides in, reverse the procedure...let the coach air up...retract jacks.....bring in slide.....

the new aire is using the HWH slide system on the full wall slide, is it not (at least the 3343 is i am pretty certain) ? so the slide creeping side to side in the opening should not be an issue...it's about having the reveal be out and having the slide not come in properly, causing damage.....following the procedure should alleviate that....

i expect to have different orders of operation when leveling my new coach and deploying slides, based on terrain...more level terrain...dump air, auto level or manual level to level, deploy slides...the way i do it now with my tiffin....and have done with other coaches without a FWS....but with challenging terrain, i will deploy slides, dump air, then use the jacks to simply hold the coach still......i think the worst is when the terrain is uneven such that there is a twist in the frame....that will create the worst scenarios....listing to port or starboard....or to bow or stern, as long as it's consistent, is not that big a deal....but to be twisted a bit, that is where the risks are...and where you need to use the air suspension to help you smoothen it out before bringing in / deploying slides....

biggest difference will be consistently remembering to get out and check the reveal around the FWS first.....before i make the decision.....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi kwilkins,
Congrats on the New Aire. That is one great coach. twojayhawks has the answer. Once you dump the air you will be very close to the ground. Don't loose any sleep over this until you get the coach an try it. You may need to level manually. Try the auto level first. Post here if you need additional suggestions.
Thanks all for the advice and hopefully with the lower front on the DP I will be able to level without problems.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
the new aire is using the HWH slide system on the full wall slide, is it not (at least the 3343 is i am pretty certain) ? so the slide creeping side to side in the opening should not be an issue...it's about having the reveal be out and having the slide not come in properly, causing damage.....following the procedure should alleviate that....
On the 3343 I believe the HWH slide system is on the smaller drivers side slide where the sofa sits. I think the full wall slide on the passenger side is an electric slide.

If anyone knows for sure please chime in. Thanks.

Tags
leveling