Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2021, 08:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc1825 View Post
You may want to check the newmar website they have a section with the sales brochures for model years going back to the 90s to see what features each coach has
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great place to start:

https://www.newmarcorp.com/owner-too...hures-archive/

Then you can use the tips given by actual owners to compare which ones you might want to avoid.

Certain years with the ISX engine and its propensity to drop the #6 valve causing expensive rebuild. There was eventually a fix for that but if I was looking I'd want to know more about that if looking at an older unit (around 2009-10, I think) with the ISX.

One I have heard of was the actual front axle weight on some models and tire overload for certain model years. Someone else here probably knows the details and can chime in.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2021, 11:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
Ok so 2007- 2011 Essex had the Eplex system but if your handy and don't mind getting your hands dirty the system can be converted to what the Mountain air came with for more analog controls of everything for under $3000, or if you have silly money about 20k or more to convert to silver leaf. Avoid a King Aire with Eplex in the same year range they had all the lighting multiplexed also what a pain that would be. 2007 Essex 2011 Mountain Aire 2015 Dutch Star all got the Girard Awnings built in the top hiding the air conditioners and of roof top components. (Clean Look) 2011 King and Essex 2013 Mountain 2015 Dutch Star full wall slides and 2016 is about the start of the HWH slide system. I know there where some Dutch Stars that needed front axle replacements in the first years with the Star foundation and HWH slide system. King and Essex have the Maniblok plumbing system which is separate lines run to key areas of the coach so you don't need to shut off all the water to the coach if you get a leak. May want to check which chassis and what years came with Independent Front Suspension. I know my 08' Essex has it and it is on a Spartan K2. There is a little history that I worked through when making my choice. Happy Hunting.
Great info here, thank you for that! Is there a certain year, that most bugs were figured out on most models? when was silver leaf standard?
EMPIRE231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 11:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsonbob View Post
I agree with most of the comments and suggestions above. As others above stated, i would also be nervous about the long out of support Eplex system. We too were looking at basically the same models you are when we bought. There was a beautiful indoor stored Essex and a Mountain Aire that we were trying to decide on. Then we became aware of a 9,000 mile 2015 DS 4369 with about every option available, inc Upgraded MA fabric, upgraded (and heated) MA tile floors, tweeked factory custom paint and upgraded MA upholstery/furniture. It should be noted that the DS got a lot of upgrades in 2015 (inc integrated Girard awnings, new end caps etc) and the full tile in FWS in 2016. As noted above, however, there were early problems with the extra weight in the full slide, the new slide system, and many units were too close to the weight limits for me on front axles, and eventually some 16/17 units had either slide and/or sagging slide floor issues. Our 2015 DS4369 also came with a 21 or 22 cf Maytag fridge in the fws, but in the next year they went down to a 19.x whirlpool (presumably to save a little weight). I happen to think the 2015 to 2017 DutchStars represent the most bang for the buck, however you have to watch out for the above issues in both 16 and 17. Just my two cents. By the way, we’ve had no window fogging issues amd we couldn’t be happier with our decision.
also great info! thank you for that.... If I go dutch star, I am definitely looking for those same model years 2015-2017, due to wanting the girard integrated awnings. I believe 2016+ is also when they went to a 15K tow rating, which I would really want..... and to my understanding, in 2017 they even went to a bigger front axle? is that correct?
EMPIRE231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 02:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPIRE231 View Post
Great info here, thank you for that! Is there a certain year, that most bugs were figured out on most models? when was silver leaf standard?
I believe the higher end king and Essex got silver leaf right after eplex death. Late 2011-2012 then filtered down from there to Mountain Aire.

As others have stated the brochure archive in the owners tab on Newmars website is a wealth of knowledge.
RichardJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 02:07 PM   #19

Good Afternoon Empire

We have had two Newmar coach's, first a 94 MountainAire, then a 04 Essex. Loved both!
As so many have said, The customer service is hands down, the best. Super helpful people, even on weekends!

We will be back in the market in a few months for our next coach which will be an Essex and are looking at the 9 thru 13 year range.
I've downloaded all the brochures for these model years so I can compare each.

Good Luck on Yall's search!
bandit2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar