Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2021, 03:07 PM   #1

Doing my research on Newmars

So I am in the market for a new to us motorhome. Got rid of our 2007 fleetwood discovery last week (treated us great)... and I have always liked the Newmars. I wanted to find out what I should be looking for or avoiding for certain models / years... as I know there have been a lot of changes over the years.

Originally I had my eyes set on a newer (2015-2017)dutch star, but now considering some older models like the Essex or Mountain aire, king Aire etc. What are some major changes / enhancements over the years I should want or not want?

essex model years I'm considering would be 2007-2010. These would most likely be the same years for any other higher line model as well?

has comfort drive changes at all over those years?

Has the house construction changed or improved over those years to avoid sidewall / roof or flooring problems?

Did the "masterpiece" paint change over that time? I know the newer coaches are cut and buffed for a high shine.... were these older models done the same way?

did they all have the integrated gutters during these years?

I can go on and on with questions, but was hoping to get some feedback on major things to look for. Thanks.
EMPIRE231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2021, 05:20 PM   #2

I think the comfort drive started with non-adjustable on high end model(s)? first and then progressed to adjustable and other models. A search in Newmar section will likely turn up exact years & models as I dont recall the specifics. If it has adjustable CD I dont believe there were any later changes.
If electric slide motors check the motor mounting bolts & inquire about what mods / maint have been done. Lots of posts & info in Newmar section.
We love our 2013 Ventana and have had little issue since private purchase in 2017.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:15 PM   #3

I believe the Essex had the E-Plex multiplex system through 2011. The E-Plex system was replaced by Silverleaf. As I understand, if there is an E-Plex failure, replacement parts are impossible to get.
dougfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 04:22 AM   #4

I can't help with any info on the models you are looking at but I can tell you that I have been impressed with the customer service I've received from Newmar. And as someone who has purchased a used MH (two previous owners), I feel they treat me as well as if I had just purchased a new rig.

My most recent experience:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/new...ay-540824.html
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:54 AM   #5

As someone already pointed out about the E-Plex multiplex system, I would likely avoid it like the plague. I'm not sure what year the full wall slide changed from electric driven to Hydronic but I would check it to see. I have a friend with the electric slide and he "tweaks" it every few months but he's a retired engineer and wants everything perfect. He admits he is a bit "anal retentive " (his words) about stuff like that.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 02:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
As someone already pointed out about the E-Plex multiplex system, I would likely avoid it like the plague. I'm not sure what year the full wall slide changed from electric driven to Hydronic but I would check it to see. I have a friend with the electric slide and he "tweaks" it every few months but he's a retired engineer and wants everything perfect. He admits he is a bit "anal retentive " (his words) about stuff like that.
Thank you for the feedback... I'm assuming E-plex is some sort of central control unit for the older models.... are these known to fail or have problems.... or are they just obsolete to where if you did have an issue... you couldn't fix it.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:50 PM   #7

another question... do frameless windows have the same fogging problem as framed windows? I have already went down that road with 2k + in repairs on my discovery. Wondering if the Newmar frameless windows have the same problems?
Old 06-24-2021, 05:30 PM   #8

Doing my research on Newmars

Yes, the frameless windows can fog from failed seals. If I recall correctly, 2020 units had some issues. As a matter of fact, a 2020 we looked at had two windows with issues.

I’ll also say we’ve had 3 rigs with frameless windows, and knock on wood, never had one fail.

Oh, and if I had to bet, Newmar and Fleetwood probably use the same windows manufactured by LCI who bought Hehr.
Newmar2856 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPIRE231 View Post
Thank you for the feedback... I'm assuming E-plex is some sort of central control unit for the older models.... are these known to fail or have problems.... or are they just obsolete to where if you did have an issue... you couldn't fix it.
The E-plex is the control system and has become more problematic as they got older. That is further exasperated by the poor customer service and replacement parts being hard to find. Many owners of them have replaced the whole system with a Silverleaf® Multiplex Electrical Wiring System or some another one, but that is not cheap.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:28 PM   #10

You may want to check the newmar website they have a section with the sales brochures for model years going back to the 90s to see what features each coach has
rlc1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:49 PM   #11

Ok so 2007- 2011 Essex had the Eplex system but if your handy and don't mind getting your hands dirty the system can be converted to what the Mountain air came with for more analog controls of everything for under $3000, or if you have silly money about 20k or more to convert to silver leaf. Avoid a King Aire with Eplex in the same year range they had all the lighting multiplexed also what a pain that would be. 2007 Essex 2011 Mountain Aire 2015 Dutch Star all got the Girard Awnings built in the top hiding the air conditioners and of roof top components. (Clean Look) 2011 King and Essex 2013 Mountain 2015 Dutch Star full wall slides and 2016 is about the start of the HWH slide system. I know there where some Dutch Stars that needed front axle replacements in the first years with the Star foundation and HWH slide system. King and Essex have the Maniblok plumbing system which is separate lines run to key areas of the coach so you don't need to shut off all the water to the coach if you get a leak. May want to check which chassis and what years came with Independent Front Suspension. I know my 08' Essex has it and it is on a Spartan K2. There is a little history that I worked through when making my choice. Happy Hunting.
RichardJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:05 AM   #12

Researching Newmars

OP, go on the Newmar Website and start downloading from their brochure database for the make/model/year you are considering. In General, new features started at the top of the line and migrated down. You can find a model with optional features selected from a higher model. Some major milestones, I think the split windshields ended in 2007 ish. Major upgrade to the Full Wall Slide in the 2015/16 year. You'll notice with Newmars they change the front/rear caps every 5-7 years. We started in 2016 with an '03 Dutch Star and loved it. We now have a newer DS w/a Tag Axle which offers some nice advantages but you will give up some mileage. Ahh, then we have DEF starting I think in 2013. No matter what you decide on, get it inspected. If the coach smells of mildew or any odor you don't like, move on to the next coach. Have fun shopping.
dbteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:06 AM   #13

I agree with most of the comments and suggestions above. As others above stated, i would also be nervous about the long out of support Eplex system. We too were looking at basically the same models you are when we bought. There was a beautiful indoor stored Essex and a Mountain Aire that we were trying to decide on. Then we became aware of a 9,000 mile 2015 DS 4369 with about every option available, inc Upgraded MA fabric, upgraded (and heated) MA tile floors, tweeked factory custom paint and upgraded MA upholstery/furniture. It should be noted that the DS got a lot of upgrades in 2015 (inc integrated Girard awnings, new end caps etc) and the full tile in FWS in 2016. As noted above, however, there were early problems with the extra weight in the full slide, the new slide system, and many units were too close to the weight limits for me on front axles, and eventually some 16/17 units had either slide and/or sagging slide floor issues. Our 2015 DS4369 also came with a 21 or 22 cf Maytag fridge in the fws, but in the next year they went down to a 19.x whirlpool (presumably to save a little weight). I happen to think the 2015 to 2017 DutchStars represent the most bang for the buck, however you have to watch out for the above issues in both 16 and 17. Just my two cents. By the way, we’ve had no window fogging issues amd we couldn’t be happier with our decision.

2015 Dutch Star 4369, Freightliner, 450 hp
clawsonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:12 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can find anything you need to know about older coaches by following instructions for COM_NET Link found at top of this link.
Welcome to the forum and good luck in finding your Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar