Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #1

Doing your own Maintenance

I have a 2014 Canyon Star 3610 with the Ford V10 Gas Engine and it is our first MH. I have done all the maintenace on my vehicles since I owned my first vehicle. What are your thoughts about doing my own Oil Changes ect. I have been told that if I do my own oil changes that I could void the warranty. I feel that I would most likely do a better job, and would keep all the reciepts for the oil/filters ect. to prove the oil was changed. I don't mind having to pay for an oil change at Ford if I have to, but I hate to take the MH into any shop unless I absolutely have to. What are your thoughts or experiences with doing your own maintenace and the warranty issues. Thanks for any advice you have...Mike
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2014, 01:52 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We had a 2004 class C Winnebago with the V10 Ford and I did all the oil changes. Less money, I was sure it was done right and you can't just take something as big as an RV to the corner Valvoline.

I would check the company to make sure your warranty is still good when doing any of your own service first but normally if you keep all the receipts you should be covered.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can't speak for the warranty issues but I've always done my own service as far as oil changes and lubing the chassis. Now when it comes to brake work or brake fluid changes I leave that to a shop. Also I wouldn't tackle changing the coolant. When you're under the coach it gives you an opportunity to take a look at everything as well. I have changed the exterior filter on the Allison transmission. Nothing to doing that one. Good luck and hope all goes well. Welcome to the Newmar family and hope you really enjoy it. Be Safe.
I should mention I keep a maintenance log of everything I do to it and include the date and mileage.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #4

Previous MH was a gas, V-10......Did all the maint on that...Great engine....Very easy to do oil/filter/chassis lube, etc.......

One thing that made oil changes much much easier was the installation of a Fumoto valve......attach a clear plastic hose to the nipple on the valve and oil changes are a breeze.......
sd1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:32 PM   #5

I always do my own maintenance, I called a dealer about voiding warranty several years ago and was told to keep all receipts for maintenance done.
safari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mike and Cha,
I do all my own routine maintenance. It gives me something to do. A log is kept for all coach activities along with the receipts. I have no idea if the warranty remained valid.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:31 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I also have changed the oil in our Ford V10 since it was new, after the first time I took it to my local mechanic who had been charging $20 to change the old class C's oil charged me $70 even though I provided him with the oil and filter! He complained that it was much harder to do, which, after doing it myself, I agree.

The drain plug is right over the axle, which makes a mess. I rigged up a funnel with a piece of vacuum hose to direct the oil around the axle. When filling, I use the 5qt jugs, they didn't work very well, no room for them as there is a bunch of stuff in the way. I bought a filler with a valve (from Wal*Mart) that screws onto the jugs and used a 3/4" sch 40 elbow with a small piece of pipe to make a right angle at the end of the filler, the bottles fit this way and I can fill without transferring to the 1qt bottles or making a mess.

Here's a post explaining where the 9 grease fittings are, this is from 2006 but our 2008 also has 9. Fords use Moly EP grease, I use this from Auto Zone.

I believe there is a law which prevents the manufacturer from invalidating the warranty just because you do your own service, it may be part of the law which keeps manufacturers from invalidating the warranty if you don't have service done at the dealer. I also keep records.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:40 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I too have always done my own oil changes. To get around the problem Stewart mentioned of the plug right over the axle, I installed a quick fitting with a hose which allows me to drain into a plastic container. The filter is still problematic because of it's location but it is doable. Lots of money saved over the years and as to warranty, just keep records of your changes.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1209 View Post
Previous MH was a gas, V-10......Did all the maint on that...Great engine....Very easy to do oil/filter/chassis lube, etc.......

One thing that made oil changes much much easier was the installation of a Fumoto valve......attach a clear plastic hose to the nipple on the valve and oil changes are a breeze.......
+1 on the Fumoto valve. Not on the V10 but on our current MH with a Cummins diesel. 24qts of oil is tough to handle but with the valve and plastic tubing it is a breeze. I just fill the empty jugs from the last oil change and recycle it.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:01 PM   #10

Thanks for all the replies so far. I actually called an Rv service center to see what parts they use oil/filter ect. I would be using the actual Ford parts and oil listed in my manual, at least while it's under warranty even though it will cost me more. The Rv shop was going to use aftermarket parts and oil (which may not be bad), but I agree with those that responded if I save my reciepts and use the Ford recommended parts and oil I don't know how they could argue a warranty issue if it arose. I've done whatever maintenance I could do on all my vehicles/boats for years with no issues, it just took me by suprise when the RV service guy told me that a Motorhome would be any different re warranty issues. After all the engine part is still just an engine...Thanks again for all your replies...Mike
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I have a 2014 Canyon Star 3610 with the Ford V10 Gas Engine and it is our first MH. I have done all the maintenace on my vehicles since I owned my first vehicle. What are your thoughts about doing my own Oil Changes ect. I have been told that if I do my own oil changes that I could void the warranty. I feel that I would most likely do a better job, and would keep all the reciepts for the oil/filters ect. to prove the oil was changed. I don't mind having to pay for an oil change at Ford if I have to, but I hate to take the MH into any shop unless I absolutely have to. What are your thoughts or experiences with doing your own maintenace and the warranty issues. Thanks for any advice you have...Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1209 View Post

X2 on that Fumoto valve.

It would against the law for them to void a warrenty over you doing your own maintanence.
You can read about it. Its called the Moss-Magnuson act
Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.[7] This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions,[8] and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives......
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance