Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2021, 08:13 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Dometic 8743 Macerator Toilets

Thought Iíd share this experience because it stumped a number of technicians. We have 2 Dometic Macerator Toilets with flush switches. Spontaneously one of the switches indicated full holding tank and wouldnít flush. The other one worked fine and the tank was empty. I did what I could to find a solution but couldnít so called Newmar tech support. Was told the location of the control modules - in my coach 2018 Mountain Aire 4537 they were behind the peg board behind the black plastic cover. His solution was to cut the yellow wire to the appropriate control module. The tanks share a sensor which is independent of SilverLeaf directly to the Black Tank. Before cutting anything I swapped the cables to the toilets - these cables are basic RJ45 type cables. No change so cut the wire as indicated. Still no change. Called Newmar back and after a rather lengthy hold got a different tech. Told him what I had done and he was stumped. I asked him about the flush switches and he said they were just switches with no intelligence. He did not believe swapping the flush switch would have no affect. It was a pain the switch pulls easily off the mount but there was zero slack to itís end of the RJ45. I finally was able to swap the switch and - sure enough the problem swapped. Called just about every RV dealer in Colorado and was told the same thing. None in stock - 6-8 week delay from Dometic. Not sold on Amazon and the few RV dealers that did have one were stupid expensive. Found one for half $ at a Marine Dealer in Seattle. Even with overnight UPS it was less than any of the RV suppliers $160 with shipping. It arrived the next day as promised. Installed new switch and sue enough it works. Now I can sit back and wait for the next system problem to torture my body, patience and pocket book with. Cheers
dougsavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2021, 08:30 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good information- thanks.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:09 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsavy View Post
Thought Iíd share this experience because it stumped a number of technicians. We have 2 Dometic Macerator Toilets with flush switches. Spontaneously one of the switches indicated full holding tank and wouldnít flush. The other one worked fine and the tank was empty. I did what I could to find a solution but couldnít so called Newmar tech support. Was told the location of the control modules - in my coach 2018 Mountain Aire 4537 they were behind the peg board behind the black plastic cover. His solution was to cut the yellow wire to the appropriate control module. The tanks share a sensor which is independent of SilverLeaf directly to the Black Tank. Before cutting anything I swapped the cables to the toilets - these cables are basic RJ45 type cables. No change so cut the wire as indicated. Still no change. Called Newmar back and after a rather lengthy hold got a different tech. Told him what I had done and he was stumped. I asked him about the flush switches and he said they were just switches with no intelligence. He did not believe swapping the flush switch would have no affect. It was a pain the switch pulls easily off the mount but there was zero slack to itís end of the RJ45. I finally was able to swap the switch and - sure enough the problem swapped. Called just about every RV dealer in Colorado and was told the same thing. None in stock - 6-8 week delay from Dometic. Not sold on Amazon and the few RV dealers that did have one were stupid expensive. Found one for half $ at a Marine Dealer in Seattle. Even with overnight UPS it was less than any of the RV suppliers $160 with shipping. It arrived the next day as promised. Installed new switch and sue enough it works. Now I can sit back and wait for the next system problem to torture my body, patience and pocket book with. Cheers
Thanks for sharing. That yellow wire is the one that would shut down the flushing if the tank was full. If you swap out the yellow wire for the orange wire, you'll still get a Orange warning light but the toilet will still flush.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 01:40 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We have a 2020 Ventana 3407 with just one toilet, but we've had a similar problem. Sometimes when we pull over at a rest stop the red "tank full" indicator is on, and the toilet will not flush. This happens more often if the coach is not on a level surface, and I know that the tank is nowhere near full. Found a quick solution to temporarily override the system long enough to flush the toilet. DW will turn the battery disconnect switch (salesman switch as some call it) off for a few seconds. I stand right next to the toilet and when she turns it back on I flush the toilet as soon as the flush controller back light comes on. It seems the system has to "think about it" before it turns the tank full indicator to red.

Tags
ace, dometic, macerator, toilet