RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2020, 07:28 PM   #1

Dometic A/C Freeze Sensor Questions

I've been having some problems with the front AC. All 3 of my ACs are the original Dometic Penguin 1 low profile 15K BTU heatpump units that have been modified to work with the new CCC2 programmable thermostat. They have been working fine for nearly 4 years.

The first and oldest problem was that the fan would intermittently continue to run even though the compressor stopped (yes it was set to auto). The second (newer problem) was that the compressor would quick cycle. When the compressor shut down there would be an hourglass on the thermostat. The front of the coach would not cool down. We are spending the summer in Taos, NM and it gets hot here.

Dometic suggested that I replace the control board. I did and that took care of the fan running problem but the quick cycle problem remained.

Today, I removed the freese sensor from the fins and just left it dangle. The AC has been running fine ever since and it blows the same amount of air and the same temp air as the other two units. BTW: I watched the unit cycle with the outer and inner covers off, nothing was freezing up as far as I can tell.

I have a couple of questions for your AC knowledgeable people:

I suspect it is a bad freeze sensor... Thoughts?

Will leaving the sensor dangle and running the AC until I can get it replaced hurt anything?

I read that the sensor was supposed to be at the bottom center of the coils. Mine was about half way up on the left side. Could that be the problem?

Thanks
-B
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2020, 07:07 AM   #2

Place a thermometer where the sensor was and different places on the coil to see if there's a better place for that freeze sensor.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:23 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
"I read that the sensor was supposed to be at the bottom center of the coils. Mine was about half way up on the left side. Could that be the problem?"

Half way up is the correct position for the sensor. Without one in place the unit will run but could possible freeze up the entire coil and not shut off the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frozen 2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	302376   Click image for larger version

Name:	condenser.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	302377  

Old 09-26-2020, 07:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
Half way up is the correct position for the sensor. Without one in place the unit will run but could possible freeze up the entire coil and not shut off the unit.
If that is all that can happen, I am OK with it. As is was, it was not running enough to cool the coach. With it dangling, the AC is working great and no freeze ups... yet. I suspect that the sensor is bad. For under $30, I'll replace it and see what happens.

-B
Old 09-26-2020, 07:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrocharlie View Post
Place a thermometer where the sensor was and different places on the coil to see if there's a better place for that freeze sensor.
When I removed the covers and watched the coils, there was no frost and no reason for the compressor to shut down. So I don't think moving it would help. I'll get a new sensor (for under $30) and see if that fixes it.

-B
Old 10-09-2020, 08:32 AM   #6

I installed the new freeze sensor (Dometic 3312303005 Thermistor.) The AC seems to be working OK. It blows cold air and does not rapid cycle the compressor anymore. It has not been that hot out so I am not 100% sure it is fixed.

Stay tuned.

-B
Old 10-09-2020, 11:15 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi - Just be aware that if your unit does freeze without the sensor attached you run the risk of destroying the AC unit. The ice can cause the coils break as it expands. That's why it's there in the first place. When the sensor "sees" ice it shuts off the compressor so that warmer air can defrost them or reverses the unit depending on mode and model.

Tom
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi - Just be aware that if your unit does freeze without the sensor attached you run the risk of destroying the AC unit. The ice can cause the coils break as it expands. That's why it's there in the first place. When the sensor "sees" ice it shuts off the compressor so that warmer air can defrost them or reverses the unit depending on mode and model.

Tom
I suspect it was freezing up a bit with the sensor just hanging loose. The airflow would drop a little and the air did not feel that cold. It has been cooler here so I did not need to run that AC, the other two would carry the load. Since installing the new sensor, the AC is running great. No cycling and plenty of cold air. If the problem returns, I'll probably replace the AC unit.
-B

Tags
dometic