Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2022, 01:17 PM   #1

Dometic fridge/freezer outside not working

My Dometic combination fridge/freezer in the outside first bay is not cooling. power is on & controls work fine but it isn't cooling. It's a Dometic Model CF-80-AC120-U, 12/24 V dc, 7.0- 3 Amps, 120 V AC 1.4 Amps.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? How did you fix it?

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2022, 01:44 PM   #2

Is the Light flashing?
Pg 6 Section 5.1 Error Codes

Is light Orange?
Pg 8 Section 5.4 Troubleshooting

file:///C:/Users/runby/Downloads/Operating%20manual.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:47 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE=Capt. Bill;6225937] My Dometic combination fridge/freezer in the outside first bay is not cooling. power is on & controls work fine but it isn't cooling. It's a Dometic Model CF-80-AC120-U, 12/24 V dc, 7.0- 3 Amps, 120 V AC 1.4 Amps.

Yes on my 2011 this happened 2years ago. Parts and cost of freon was not worth fixing, had to replace.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Is the Light flashing?
Pg 6 Section 5.1 Error Codes

Is light Orange?
Pg 8 Section 5.4 Troubleshooting

file:///C:/Users/runby/Downloads/Operating%20manual.pdf
Posted inaccurate pdf for manual

Try this link
Same Sections 5.1 & 5.4 ---different pages
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12...page=11#manual
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post
My Dometic combination fridge/freezer in the outside first bay is not cooling. power is on & controls work fine but it isn't cooling. It's a Dometic Model CF-80-AC120-U, 12/24 V dc, 7.0- 3 Amps, 120 V AC 1.4 Amps.

Happy Trails
Hello, sorry for your troubles. Most if not all of the time when talking about repairing this type of refrigerator most people find it's cheaper to just replace the unit than to repair. Good Luck
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:50 PM   #6

Bill, what follows isn’t exactly what you asked, but for what it may be worth to you and anyone else…

I’m not a fan of the Dometic CF-80. When Amy & I purchased a 2010 Tiffin Allegro Bus in early 2010, it came with a Dometic CF-80. Amy likes to stock up on food when we take longer trips. With the Winnebago Vectra we had for a few years before we bought the Tiffin, we had purchased and installed a Norcold MRFT-60 refrigerator/freezer in one of the basement storage compartments.

We live in Arizona and as such end up traveling a fair amount in seriously hot weather. The Norcold refrigerator/freezer had no issues keeping frozen food frozen, no matter how hot it was outside. With the Dometic CF-80, Amy noticed the frozen food didn’t quite stay frozen in similar conditions. I figured something was wrong with the unit – until I read the manual!

Included below is an image of the relevant page from the manual. Note that the “Cooling Range” is stated as 50 degrees F to 0 degrees F. Unfortunately, there is a caveat at the bottom of that same page which admits that, “If the ambient temperature is above 90 degrees F, the minimum temperature cannot be attained.” That explained exactly what we were experiencing!

Fortunately, we still had the Norcold MRFT-60 because we hadn’t included it with the sale of the Vectra. And in spite of the “CF-80” versus “MRFT-60” designations, those two units are almost exactly the same size externally and internally. So it was out with the Dometic, in with the Norcold. When we got ready to sell the Tiffin, we removed our trusty Norcold and re-installed the virtually unused Dometic CF-80 that had come with the coach.

Our next coach was a 2018 Entegra Cornerstone. It came with…..wait for it…..a Dometic CF-80. We didn’t even bother trying that one. Just took it out immediately, put it in storage, and installed our tried & true Norcold. I was inclined to be a nice guy and leave the Norcold in the Cornerstone for the next owner, but when I didn’t get any serious action in response to our private-party sale ads I decided to hand the Cornerstone over to NIRVC on consignment. And rather than have prospective buyers asking less-than-fully-informed salespeople why a lovingly cared for coach was equipped with a 15 year old refrigerator/freezer, I reinstalled the never-used/never-abused Dometic CF-80.

Our 2022 Newmar Super Star didn’t have an option for a basement refrigerator, but as luck would have it there is a sliding storage tray in the basement storage compartment at the very back of the coach into which the Norcold MRFT-60 fits just perfectly. Wahoo!

A final note is that Norcold has long since ceased production of the MRFT-60, but Engel Coolers must have acquired the design rights because they continue to offer the exact same unit under their brand name:

https://engelcoolers.com/products/mt...camping-fridge

I’m seriously tempted to buy one, just in case our old Norcold bites the dust one of these days. And if you end up having to buy a new unit to replace your Dometic CF-80, I would suggest taking a serious look at the Engel option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dometic CF80 Temperature Issue.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	369513  
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45B
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 12:54 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My 2018 Dometic went out. I replaced the thermocouple. Itís easy to replace if you install it inside the fridge rather than the original location.
12Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 03:33 PM   #8

My CFX in my 21 DS works great-even in real hot weather. Not sure if it is different than the CF80 you guys are referring to.
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, free, fridge