Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2021, 02:51 PM   #1

Dometic HVAC controller has lost power

Broke camp with our 2019 DSDP 4369 today and all was ok. Arrived at our new location, connected the shore power and the controller would not power up. I switched out the 12v fuse (F16 - 7.5 amp) above the toilet in the half bath, but still no power. There’s another fuse (20 amp) labeled climate control in the front left exterior compartment which also contains the generator hood release. Seems like this is too much power for this controller. Any other suggestions for restoring power to the Dometic controller?
zjgc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2021, 04:23 PM   #2

Turn off the thermostat, count to 30 and turn it back on. If that fails, try shutting off the battery power (salesman switch) for about 30 seconds then turn backnon.
Old 05-29-2021, 05:49 PM   #3

No luck there either. Still no power to the thermostat. Completely blank and all buttons are not responsive. The only unusual events today were
1. I disconnected shore power this morning before turning off the AC units. I usually get a E7 message though.
2. Our site was located under several large cedar trees that were shedding a lot of needles onto the roof of the coach. We had a lot of rain last night and this morning that could not drain properly and accumulated on the roof. Don’t know if water could have worked it’s way into the heat pump units on the roof.
Old 05-31-2021, 07:51 AM   #4

Sure sounds like a blown fuse or loose connection but I have no idea where another fuse might be located. Please let us know what you find once you get it resolved. Sorry I don't have any useful information.
Old 06-01-2021, 03:22 PM   #5

Well, over the last couple of days we have received conflicting direction from Newmar. One tech said there was no other fuse other than the 7.5 amp fuse in the half bath. A fellow 2019 Dutch Star owner a few sites away also called and was told there should be a fusable link between the fuse box and zone 1 unit. From there, it feeds zone 2 and zone 3. I think in series. Newmar suggested we remove the zone 1 unit and fish the wire out of the roof to find the failure. We found the 12 v pink/black power supply at Zone 1 but did not want to pull too much of the slack out of the wire in case it failed completely making it difficult to fish a new wire through the roof. Therefore, we ran a temporary supply from the house batteries up the outside wall and into the zone 1 power supply. All three AC units are working properly at the moment, but not sure how we’re going to get a nice neat permanent solution. Will be here at The Great Outdoors in Franklin, NC until June 11.
Old 06-27-2021, 01:42 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Would love to hear the rest of the story. We are sitting here in 100+ temps with a completely dead CCC2 Thermostat & trying to find out solutions (2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3810)
LizzyWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 04:52 PM   #7

What does the manual say the E7 code represents?
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:03 AM   #8

E7 indicates a loss of 120v power to the units and they have shut down. As stated above, when I have seen that error, it is usually when I have disconnected shore power before turning off the the AC units at the thermostat controller first. The CCC2 can be reset by turning it off and then back on and the E7 code should clear. My present case is a bit different since I have a blank and unresponsive screen on the CCC2 screen, that indicates it has no 12v power required for control. I have had both Dometic and Newmar techs on the phone together and they agree my symptoms indicate a pinched 12v wire somewhere between the 12v fuse panel in the half bath and the Zone one AC unit control board. The Dometic heat pump control board has a “resettable” 1 amp 12v fuse on it to protect the board. If it had tripped, then temporarily disconnecting the 12v power with the “salesman switch” would have reset the fuse. It did not solve my problem. Running a temporary 12v wire directly from the house batteries up the outside of the coach to the Zone one control board provided the power to the Dometic control board and got us running again. That supports the fact that we have a short on the wire between the 12v fuse panel and the Zone one control board. The coach is currently sitting at NIRVC Nashville (Lebanon) to pull the Zone one unit and find the short/pinched 12v wire. Sorry for the long post, but thought it might be helpful to share what I have learned so far.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:21 AM   #9

I don't think a DS has a propane furnace. However, there is a 7amp (if I remember right) fuse protecting the thermostat wire from the thermostat to the propane furnace in my Canyon Star. It' located inside the furnace cabinet. You have to remove the outside furnace exhaust panel to find it. As far as I know it only impacts propane furnace operation.

I don't really know why I'm posting that but it may help someone along the line.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:50 PM   #10

Final Solution

Well, after sitting at the new NIRVC in Lebanon, TN for five weeks, I finally picked up the coach last Friday. They pulled the Zone 1 unit and never could find an obvious pinch or break in the 12V wire feeding the Dometic unit's control board from the fuse panel in the half bath. Therefore, they removed the exiting wire and ran a new wire from the fuse panel through the AC duct work back to the Zone1 control board. AC works ok now. However, I was in too big of a hurry to get it back in storage that I did not inspect the work properly until today. When I opened the 12V fuse panel, I discovered the AC 12V wire had been plugged into the exhaust fan position (F14) instead of the AC position (F16) and the exhaust fan 12V wire was hanging lose. Hence, the exhaust fans would not run. I switched them back and all is running well now.

Tags
power