I just completed a repair that I have always dreaded. One that nightmares are made of.
Late Wednesday night my wife told me there was a problem with the rear toilet, and that we need a plunger.
The bowl was half full, and like an idiot, I pressed the flush button hoping for a different result.
The macerator was "churning" but not evacuating the bowl. Water proceeded to fill...ending just 1/4" from overflow.
[This portion of story intentionally left blank...too much trauma]
Once enough water was removed from the bowl, I opened the emergency exit door and went outside to have a look at the back side.
I was shocked to find a puddle of effluent on the floor under the toilet...not a good sign.
I removed the black hose (#17 in diagram) from the duck bill valve connection (#12) and discovered a "clog".
Using tools that were later discarded, the clog was pushed thru, and the hose reassembled.
I then flushed the toilet, and it worked, but I now noticed a new problem. Water was dripping from the macerator pump housing.
As I dig around under toilet to determine the source of the leak, I found that Newmar had just stuffed the toilet control panel under the pump, and water was collecting on it.
I had to remove to bolts to get the toilet out of its position and lean it forward to clean up the mess and determine the failed part.
Thursday morning I called Newmar and within an hour of the initial contact, parts where being overnight shipped to me.
Newmar did offer to dispatch a tech, but I had already done the majority of the work, I preferred to just complete the job myself.
Newmars policy for warranty parts is the customer pays for the part before newmar will ship. Newmar then provides return shipping labels and once the part is returned a refund check is processed. I was fine with this and knew the drill.
What shocked me was the price. This part is sold for $250-290 most anywhere, and retails for $340. Newmar charged $1089 before shipping. That is crazy markup...even for Newmar. Doesn't really matter, since I get it back, but dang...that is crazy.
The part arrived today and the install was fairly painless.
I spent some time reattaching the control box with zip ties and 2 sided tape to keep it above water, as the dometic leak is a known and common problem.
I would recommend that everyone inspect their toilets for leaks now, and move your control box if it is just thrown in like mine was.
The mid toilet control box is behind the pegboard, and that is a whole separate mess.
Here are pictures showing how I positioned the toilet for repair,
a close up of the leaky macerator (look for rust..that is where it was leaking internally, coming out along the motor shaft),
and a final picture of work completed.