Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2022, 03:10 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerdog View Post
We use the water save mode and fill the bowl only when needed to flush solids. This works well for us and we dump when the yellow light (3/4 full) comes on about every 4 to 5 days.
This is exactly what we do. NO issues.
crockdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2022, 08:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
Hello, I was hoping to get some tips on how to better get along with the mascerating toilets in our 2020 Ventana.

1) The toilets don't do a great job of flushing on the first try, leaving "material" in the bowl, requiring multiple flushes. Plenty of water does the trick. If you're adding a lot of .... you may need more than one flush
-I have tried using the eco flush and the standard flush settings. While standard flush helps, it isn't remotely a sure thing and fills our black tank up, requiring lots of unnecessary dumping.One thing to look at is the water level when set to normal (max water). This can be adjusted by setting the height of the discharge tube. The more water the better as you may be able to get away with one flush. We moved our tube up and now we get by with one flush and less water usage than two flushes.

2) I'm concerned about the impeller harboring bacteria as after just a few days in storage, rings around the bowl form with an odorous slime. I just replaced a 5 year old pump. impellers were clean as a whistle (I wouldn't recommend eating off them, but I did not see any concerns.
I have tried cleaning the toilets after using with standard bowl cleaner before putting it away but it didn't seem to improve the situation.You may want to rethink this as standard toilet bowel cleaners contain bleach, which is something you do not want to put into your black or grey tanks. The majority of the tank chemicals use bacteria to decompose the stuff in the tanks and bleach kills the bacteria. You're going backwards. Check out "Unique" holding tank treatments. They make a great cleaner that helps add good bacteria to your system. I can't speak for long periods of non use, but I have had good results with cleaning the bowl with Unique prior to storage. The trick is to not flush after cleaning so that the liquid stays on the surface, which allows the bacteria to work on anything left on the surface. Obviously for longer periods, evaporation is an issue. I don't have any suggestions here as I have not crossed that bridge.
I wondered about adding a few drops of bleach before putting it away but wasn't sure if that would damage any components.

Thanks for any advice!
In the end, I think it's like a lot of things where it is just personal preference. I will tell you that a new macerator pump will set you back about $500 if you do the work yourself. Take it to a dealer and you will be north of $1,000. A clear downside. On the upside, it can really help with keeping your blank tank clean. Learn the pros and cons of each system and decide which works best for you. Everyone's situation is different.
bjogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 04:53 PM   #31

Dometic told me to use liquid laundry soap and not dawn dish. Just fyi
harleyboydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:15 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyboydd View Post
Dometic told me to use liquid laundry soap and not dawn dish. Just fyi
Good point. Checked, and that is exactly what the owner’s manual says. I assumed Dawn too after reading the posts.
Jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, toilet, macerator