RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2016, 03:35 PM   #1

Dometic Overflow

Today, our first day out in a few months, we pulled into our site and set up. After turning on the park water spigot we saw water dripping onto the ground from the back driver side basement. Inside we heard water flowing. After shutting of the spigot we found the Dometic toilet in the full bath was overflowing. Flushing successfully emptied the bowl but whenever we either turned on the water pump or the spigot the toilet would continuously fill. I disconnected and reconnected the data cable from the flush switch in the full bath but that didn't fix the problem. However, when I disconnected and reconnected the data cable in the half bath the problem stopped.

Kind of makes me queasy thinking about what would happen if we had left for the day with water on. I still don't know what caused the problem or if the stuck "valve" will happen again. Maybe a bad Dometic controller?

We have a 2015 Ventana 4369.

TNBased is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2016, 03:39 PM   #2

Solenoid valve is stuck. Had same thing happen luckily we were at Newmar have warranty work done.

tmh1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:40 PM   #3

Thanks. Is the solenoid a component of the Dometic controller? The symptoms now are that both toilets do not fill but flush properly. We have to manually add water in order for the flushing process to work.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:54 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
I always shut on the city water connection when we leave the coach. A few min to save thousands in water damage. It is a no brainer. As the assistant manager at an rv resort, I see the consequences of not doing this. Too many times to count...
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:30 PM   #5

Yes the solenoid valve is part of Dometic system. After toilet is flushed valve opens and allows bowl to fill. The valve is operated by a timer system and when the valve fails in the open position the water will not shut off. When our valve failed we were able to shut off city water before the bowl ran over.
As mentioned we were at Newmar for warranty work. The tech installed new valve and on the second flush the new valve failed open. Another new valve was installed and worked. So now when ever the toilet is flushed we wait to the bowl has filled and the water level has stopped in bowl also now we always turn city water off when leaving rv. If we are boondocking we never leave 12v pump on unless we are using water.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:10 PM   #6

Boy, what a bummer. We always have tuned off the outside water faucet when leaving the coach, for any time at all but sounds like castrophe could happen in less than a minute. Any chance you can describe where that valve is and what it looks like?

Would anyone on the Forum know where a parts picture of these toilets might be?
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:29 AM   #7

Thanks for the follow up. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me today. We've got about 300 miles to drive today and then I can work on it. Fortunately, working on toilets is my favorite thing - especially over Christmas. The problem is the same for both toilets so until it's fixed we will be filling them manually.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:31 AM   #8

Solenoid valve is located in the base of toilet below the bowl. If you remove the four bolts located at the base of toilet and pickup entire toilet and rotate you can visually see the valve. The valve has water via tubing entering valve and tubing exiting valve. The solenoid valve is actuated by 12v power (energized) opens valve and allows water to fill bowl. When time has expired de-energized the valve closes shutting water off from entering bowl. So in common terms the valve fails closed.

In our case the valve when de-energized (timed sequence shut 12v power to valve) the valve stuck in the open position allowing water to continue to flow into bowl. Not a good situation.

We now carry a spare solenoid valve just in case of failure. The valve isn't difficult to change out.

As previously mentioned now when either toilet is flushed we wait and watch the bowl refill and wait for the level to stabilize.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:48 PM   #9

Carrying a spare solenoid sounds like an excellent idea. Do you have a supply source and parts number for the solenoid? Will all Dometic macerator toilets be using the same solenoid?

Another question, why would the OP doing anything in the 1/2 bath correct the problem in the full bath if each toilet has it's own valve?
Old 12-23-2016, 05:24 PM   #10

If I were you I would call dometic with the model number of your specific toilet and have them send you a spare solenoid valve.

Our motorhome is a 2014 Essex.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:39 PM   #11

I have no idea why OP would be working on 1/2 bath. Each toilet is independent of the other.

When the tech replaced our valve the brains (gray box ) which controls all the functions was located underneath lavatory bottom shelf. He looked at the control box first to make sure all electrical plugs were snug. There might be a possibility that OP could have a loose plug creating the problem but I tend to believe the chances of this are slim.

I have used various 2 way and 3 way solenoid valves actuated by 12v and pneumatic for years on various equipment and normally the only mechinical failure is the valve will occasionally get stuck which is rare in most cases.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:10 PM   #12

Good idea on calling Dometic. Can probably find it for 1/2 the price they'll charge once I can get the model number.
Appreciate all your information, has been a real eye opener.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:24 AM   #13

Leak going unnoticed is reason we stopped using city water with hose hooked up.

$.50 fitting blew apart and water ran for hours WHILE we were asleep.

$6000 PLUS in repairs/costs to remedy damage done

Since then.....we use fresh water tank/pump. Refill as needed. Turn pump OFF when we go to bed, when we are outside, when we leave etc
Simple change in 'how' and just requires turning pump on/off at switch

Also ADD a shutoff valve at toilet(s) first time I have to work on them.
Then if issue with toilet I can isolate at toilet and STILL have water thru-out RV
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Good idea on calling Dometic. Can probably find it for 1/2 the price they'll charge once I can get the model number.
Appreciate all your information, has been a real eye opener.
When I was repairing awnings it ended up that Dometic had the cheapest price. They do have a $15 or $25 shipping cost though, so it isn't bad if you're ordering a lot, like I was.

'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic