Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2021, 04:32 PM   #1

Dometic Penguin A/C question

I have three AC units on my 2010 Dutch Aire all original equipment. The front air was not blowing cold air like it had in the past. I vacuumed out the rooftop coil today and gently washed out the coil which was dirty. The unit is cooling better now but compared to the other two units cold airflow is coming out of only one of the four inside vents. The other two units have cold air coming out of two vents out of the four on each unit. Any idea why the difference?
ATTACH]331549[/ATTACH].
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5304.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	342.1 KB
ID:	331549  
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2021, 04:43 PM   #2

Do you by chance have filters that need to be cleaned or replaced?
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRidge View Post
Do you by chance have filters that need to be cleaned or replaced?
Each AC unit has two thin washable foam filters that have been washed recently. They are on the opposite side of the vents where the cold air comes out. Unless Iím missing some other filters, I donít think it is a filter issue.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:11 PM   #4

Iím not sure how this three ACís are ducted front to back. But maybe it has to do with that somehow? Not an expert at that for sure.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:48 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoyrv View Post
I have three AC units on my 2010 Dutch Aire all original equipment. The front air was not blowing cold air like it had in the past. I vacuumed out the rooftop coil today and gently washed out the coil which was dirty. The unit is cooling better now but compared to the other two units cold airflow is coming out of only one of the four inside vents. The other two units have cold air coming out of two vents out of the four on each unit. Any idea why the difference?
ATTACH]331549[/ATTACH].
Possible ductwork collapse or duct tape came loose from the actual ducts. If you remove those vents from inside, can you see the squirrel cage of the actual AC unit?
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:21 PM   #6

Thanks 411. Thatís my next step when we get parked for a bit. Front AC not blowing much cold air again so maybe I have a couple things going on. Iím going to have it looked at in a couple weeks if I donít have it figured out by then. I hear new ACís are hard to come by.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:41 AM   #7

We had a similar issue with our 08 MADP. We ended up with a slow leak in the front A/C. The tech recharged the unit but it only lasted another 6 months. We replaced the front unit and a year later replaced the remaining two units. The newer Dometic A/C's seem to be far more efficient and quieter. We were very surprised that the older units did not cool as well as the new units. Just something to consider if you are going to keep the coach for awhile. We replaced ours after 13 years and 150K miles. In hindsight, we wished we would have done it sooner.

08 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:57 AM   #8

Enjoyrv I'm watching your situation (and solution) as we have a 2009, DA 4331 and the center AC is not producing cold air like the front and rear. I recently installed micro-air soft start units on the front and rear. Didn't want to install soft start on that potentially failing center unit.
I've done cleaning of all three units recently but it hasn't improved the center unit cooling. I suspect I'll be on the hunt for a replacement in the not too distant future.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:35 AM   #9

Domestic Penguin A/C question

Thanks radioman and Bill for replies. What dometic unit was the replacement you used, Radioman? I believe mine is a Dometic Penguin II 15,000 with heat pump. I will have to decide if I want to bite the bullet if I need to replace the front one vs all of them. Itís about the last of the major components that hasnt been replaced. The middle and rear ACís are used much less than the front one.

New problem yesterday with the Comfort Control 5 button thermostat showing no display. Had that problem before and found the telephone cable connection up on roof at Front AC was bad. I havenít crawled up on roof to check but that would seem likely again. We were on I70 from Grand Junction to Denver yesterday and I canít believe how rough that road has gotten. I can see how things vibrate loose.

Bill: We are one of the few that have Dutch Aires. Ours is a 2010 4317. Purchased new.
Old 06-13-2021, 12:21 PM   #10

Enjoyrv I was told by a tech from North Trail RV a few years ago (2016?) that if the Dometic AC units on my coach ever need replacement that it would require some extra retrofit work because Dometic changed the opening/plenum on the rooftop units after 2012 or maybe 2014 so there isn't a direct plug and play for our coaches. I hope I was misinformed but it might be worth looking into prior to searching for a new roof unit.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:54 AM   #11

Enjoy Rv, we just traveled i70 from Grand Junction and we will never travel that road again. We've traveled that road many times years ago and we can't believe how it's deteriorated. We have designated it "the worst highway in America!"

We replaced our Front A/C first with the Dometic Penguin II without the heat pump. Since we only used the heat pump twice in 13 years we figured we did not need it. If you replace only one A/C you will need to purchase a dometic control board for the new A/C which will allow you to use the older Dometic thermostat. This way you can have 1 new A/C up front and the older 2 A/C's in the back. Cost of the new control board is about $120 and it simply gets swapped out during installation. Email Dometic and they can indicate the part number for the control board.

If, however you decide to replace all 3 A/C's at the same time you just need a new Thermostat. That cost is about $150.00. In hindsight we would have replaced all three at the same time because the new ones are so much better.

Old 06-29-2021, 07:45 PM   #12

Dometic Penguin A/C question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Enjoy Rv, we just traveled i70 from Grand Junction and we will never travel that road again. We've traveled that road many times years ago and we can't believe how it's deteriorated. We have designated it "the worst highway in America!"

We replaced our Front A/C first with the Dometic Penguin II without the heat pump. Since we only used the heat pump twice in 13 years we figured we did not need it. If you replace only one A/C you will need to purchase a dometic control board for the new A/C which will allow you to use the older Dometic thermostat. This way you can have 1 new A/C up front and the older 2 A/C's in the back. Cost of the new control board is about $120 and it simply gets swapped out during installation. Email Dometic and they can indicate the part number for the control board.

If, however you decide to replace all 3 A/C's at the same time you just need a new Thermostat. That cost is about $150.00. In hindsight we would have replaced all three at the same time because the new ones are so much better.

Radioman: Ordered three new AC units today and new updated thermostat. The front unit canít be repaired and I decided to take your advice and replace them all. They are 12 years old and are very noisy. I hope the new ones are quieter as you mentioned. Two or three weeks delivery time.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:40 AM   #13

I hope the new ones are quieter as you mentioned.

Good for you - especially with these crazy heat waves. Our new A/C's are definitely quieter and far more efficient than the older ones. Tip: Make sure you do a full leak test on all three. We had a leak on our middle A/C unit replacement. It was from one of the bolt holes which had widened over the years. Fortunately the installer knew exactly what to do and had seen this issue before with another older Newmar. He simply used a larger bolt and more caulk. Problem solved.