Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2019, 04:24 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Dometic Thermostat - Error Code E1

I've searched the forum for information about the E1 error code. Nothing I've found has helped.

2018 Dutch Star 4369.

Dry camped for a few days using the generator. I noticed the code then but didn't pay much attention thinking it would go away after plugging into shore power.

Now plugged in to 50 amp shore power. E1 code persisted. Shut down everything, turned all power off, back on. Started the generator, etc. No luck.

I looked at the manual and I followed the reset instructions (press zone and mode buttons at the same time). The error disappeared, but so did zone 1! Now just zones 2 and 3 are available.

My understanding is that this is a communication problem between the thermostat and A/C unit. I called the local Dometic service center (a mobile RV service) but haven't heard back.

Help....any ideas?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #2

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ccc2diagnostics.pdf

You can try removing the thermostat from its holder, unplug the comm cable, wait 2 minutes, replug, make sure the CCC2 is OFF, do the Reset, turn ON and check to see if all units are available.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:30 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dometic Thermostat - Error Code E1

Okay read the posts from the link below. Your problem sounds like one I had. Make sure to read the entire post.
HVAC Zone 3 and Dometic Thermostat Issue
http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3666484.
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:05 PM   #4

E1 code

I am only 3 years in on my Newmar, but had the E1 code show up 3 times; it turned out to be one of the 2 A/C units was drawing to much power to start the compressor, installed a hard start kit and problem solved! Mine would trip the 20 amp breaker in the box. The rest of the RV was fine and after hard start install it seems just fine. hope this helps!
Daryl molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:54 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had the problem occur when it is super hot outside and my pax door is facing the sun (thermostat is on same side) and the heat transfer through the coach side seemed to be the cause. I have a 6 x 6 piece of foil insulation over the outside of the coach directly over the thermostat area. Never had a repeat since--oh I am parked long term in FL.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:06 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetonchief View Post
I have had the problem occur when it is super hot outside and my pax door is facing the sun (thermostat is on same side) and the heat transfer through the coach side seemed to be the cause. I have a 6 x 6 piece of foil insulation over the outside of the coach directly over the thermostat area. Never had a repeat since--oh I am parked long term in FL.
Had a similar problem when we replaced our thermostat with a new Dometic CCC2 unit. The thermostat is mounted on an outside wall and there is a small cavity behind the thermostat where the wires are run. The high temp in the wall meeting the cool air inside, created condensation on the thermostat's PC board which caused it to short out. To solve this I used low expansion spray foam in the wall cavity and placed a thin piece of sheet foam on the back of the PC board. So far, everything is fine.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:47 PM   #7

Turn off the coach switch. Should be near the passenger seat. Wait 1-5 minutes. Turn back on then run the reset procedure. Start only zone 1 first. Let run for 20-30 min the. Start zone 2
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Had the same issue (E1 code) with our Canyon Star, replace thermostat (at Newmar CS suggestion) and worked fine for the next year. Might still be working, but purchased the Ventana Sept 2018
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, thermostat