RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2020, 07:38 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Dometic Tstat - HP/Oasis

First, I'm not asking about the AUTO fan setting.

Perhaps this is a 2 part question. For nearly 4 years we've avoided cold temps that might require much heat. We either used the HPs or occasionally fired up the furnace. Now we have a 2015 DSDP with Oasis. We will see lows of around 28* tonight. I'd like to use the HPs for as long as I can but they can get noisy both in operation and cycling in/out of defrost. So...

1. Reading the manual it appears that the AUTO mode setting selects heat or air conditioning automatically. I'm assuming I understand this correctly but if not...let me know.

2. Somewhere in my memory I once heard that our (Newmar?) set up automatically changes from HP to Furnace when temps get too cold for the HPs. Can anyone confirm or debunk that?

Regarding #2. Theoretically, that should mean I start in HP mode when heat is needed and later switch to FURN at some point...IF...what I heard is true. HOWEVER...the owner's manual doesn't even come close to saying it does.

Barking up the wrong tree? LOL
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2020, 09:05 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
RTFM. (The one for the thermostat or control device)

Even someone who has the same system will have different preferences and experiences that they may attempt to relate to your circumstance. It may or may not be relatable, depending on their understanding of the operation of their system.

My experience in 30+ yrs of HVAC service has taught me that end users understand operation to the extent that they require in order to achieve the results they desire, and that's it.

Point being, in order to utilize the system to its full capability, you need to understand what that capability is, and how to configure the system to its optimal operation.

Investing an hour in Reading The Manual is the ticket to getting the system to do what you want.
Bsipe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsipe01 View Post
RTFM. (The one for the thermostat or control device)

Even someone who has the same system will have different preferences and experiences that they may attempt to relate to your circumstance. It may or may not be relatable, depending on their understanding of the operation of their system.

My experience in 30+ yrs of HVAC service has taught me that end users understand operation to the extent that they require in order to achieve the results they desire, and that's it.

Point being, in order to utilize the system to its full capability, you need to understand what that capability is, and how to configure the system to its optimal operation.

Investing an hour in Reading The Manual is the ticket to getting the system to do what you want.

This has been confusing to me as well. Thanks for your tips. What page in my Newmar manual will I find the details on the operation of the HP and furnace?
Old 09-29-2020, 12:26 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If everything is working as designed, the Heat Pumps will work until the temps get too low and then the furnace will kick on. With temps low enough to force the heater on, you'll need to be using the diesel burner versus the electric elements.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:19 AM   #5

Dometic/Oasis

Will this set up keep the water lines from freezing?
Old 09-29-2020, 07:56 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi - During the spring and fall when temps are warm during the day and cool at night I do the same thing. Set the thermostat to auto and the AC will run for part of the night and then the HP will take care of the cold hours. The only down side is the temperature variation is a bit wider by about 2 degrees. At 28 degrees, if just for a few hours, I doubt the system will kick over to the Oasis as these coaches are pretty well insulated and the HP doesn't go off line until about 27 degrees. It will go into a reverse cycle quite often however and if that is bothersome then just going right to the Oasis might be better for you. BTW -Tiffin uses a different brand of HP that doesn't have reversing a valve. They aren't worth anything below about 38 degrees. I only mention that as a follow up to an earlier comment.

Tom
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:16 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is out of the CCC2 manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0289.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	302858